What do Synths do exactly?

Old phart alert here...

I'm opposed to the use of synths and amps in principle. In fact, I'm such an old phart that I wholeheartedly subscribe to the "If you can carry it, you can play it" philosophy. :doh:

Even with all that in mind, I really don't see what the amps/synths add to the shows. One of my students was one of the synth players for a World Class corps this season, and got the nickname "Johnny One Note" pretty early on. That's how much impact the synth had...not much.

Edited by charphar

Also notice that most corps have mics over every instrument in the pit? I know the story behind that, but why is it necessary to boost the sound quality of the pit when it doesn't need to get any louder, seriously.
One of the arguments was that amping the pit would mean players wouldn't beat the snot out of them in order for their parts to be heard.
except they still beat the snot out of them

I have only seen Crown still beat the snot out of marimbas.

Check out BK, Cadets, BAC and SCV for a good example of how to play beautiful melodies in the lower register in the marimba with a great touch and be heard.

• Like 1

Q. What do Synths do exactly ?

A. They let all the other musicians sit down and take a break in the middle of the show so they have energy to finish the show and win a championship.

No comment on the topic.... Just like knightsbari avatar and picture at the bottom.... :doh:

The question should be

Q. What does Synths do for a drum corps?

A. Free keyboards for the corps so the bandos will fallow, or vice versa.

B. Create free advertising for yamaha, korg or Roland

C. Create fart, arm pit, cough noises for SPECIAL effect (no echo), not to mention backing up the horn line(cough!).

D. Destroy the sound of a great horn line.

E. All the above.

I went to alot of shows and every corps I watched had a synth. Now i'm up in the stands and all I can hear are the Horns, drums and the marimbas. But I can't hear every other detail that happens in the pit. Someone care to explain what they do, the purpose for it and what sound it makes so I can open up my ears a bit more during shows to try and catch the sound?

Just the effect. Makes sounds that are hard to replicate ie, sirens, bangs, crashes, Sounds from a certain movie ie sirens from West Side Story (HNC). I think there were a few corps that used it minimally and effective. Others over used it to death like Spirit.

• Like 1

Old phart alert here...

I'm opposed to the use of synths and amps in principle. In fact, I'm such an old phart that I wholeheartedly subscribe to the "If you can carry it, you can play it" philosophy. :doh:

Even with all that in mind, I really don't see what the amps/synths add to the shows. One of my students was one of the synth players for a World Class corps this season, and got the nickname "Johnny One Note" pretty early on. That's how much impact the synth had...not much.

And on the "Johnny One note"...wonder how everyone else feels about him when they are busting their arses and in comes "Johnny One note" and plays his big part and gets to sit out and hang with whomever he hangs with while the rest of the corps bust their butts. Is that how it works? :doh:

Wondering about corps with rock bands as well, do they get groupies now while on tour with the drum corps? :doh:

• Like 1

The drum corps EASY button.

I have only seen Crown still beat the snot out of marimbas.

Check out BK, Cadets, BAC and SCV for a good example of how to play beautiful melodies in the lower register in the marimba with a great touch and be heard.

funny I used to hear cavies just fine at the top of Rich Stadium with nice quality heights of a low nature.

and I saw more than Crown beat the #### out of them. BD at Allentown was almost painful and with Bluecoats I thought I could see rosewood splintering

• Like 1

The drum corps EASY button.

That made me laugh!!