Madison Scouts 2010

Since the last thread got pulled...and their website appears to no longer have a forum...I wanted to at least keep them in the discussion.

Any thoughts on next year?

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd like to hear them keep the Latin Classical theme that they've developed over the last couple of years. I think, placements notwithstanding, that it's an effective vehicle for them.

Of course, I also think the guard uniforms need some rethinking, too.

Mike

I really want to see them back in the top 6. Not the top 12, but the top 6. As much as it pains me to see a former champion fall this far, I'm glad that they are not making the top 12 on the basis of the fact that they are the Scouts. I think they really need to find a program that will work, maybe even a new design staff.

I'm not exactly sure what's holding them back. The design team worked wonders in 08 (from a standpoint of growth, you understand), but the exact same team seems to have fallen on their face this year (with some extra detriment from the snares). And to be honest, even if I really like most of Relàmpago, and La Noche de la Iguana is still awesome, I'm not very excited to see the third part of the "Latin trilogy" next year. I'm a bit bored with it, for some reason. Maybe it's just a different vantage point for me, vs. the average fan.

I think pretty good things will happen next year. They aged out some pretty important people, but there were virtually no ageouts in the percussion section.

Then again, everyone's always optimistic about "next year." We'll see, I guess.

Edited by Stryfe

Rethink the forced connection to all things Latin. . .yes, there were some great shows that came from that, but it's not good to make yourself over in your own shadow. The Relampago connection is tenuous at best, and becomes farcical at worst. Every year since Scott Stewart left has felt like a continual search for a programmatic identity.

Things have to change dramatically, I think . . .not necessarily design staff wise, but as an overall design vehicle for the corps. There are several niches to be filled, from straight ahead jazz to symphonic rock, that would be appealing to both the audience and judges.

If it were me, I would restructure the program coordinator position in the off season; not to get rid of Ramiro, because he knows what he's doing, but perhaps make it more of a collaborative effort, with Ramiro in an advisory role.

The brass sound is still strong; now it needs to be more technically proficient; look at Bluecoats as a guideline. . . they've done well the past few years keeping a big, jazzy sound on the field.

The guard program has improved, but that's not good enough in the visually oriented shows that they need to produce now. Look at how much BD's guard does for their visual numbers. Get some Crown or BD alums in there and create a visual package that is modern and masculine.

. . .a good fit next year might be a Broadway themed show or a production similar to Cavaliers 2004 with an simple motif to expound on like Bond; something, anything that creates an easy to grab onto visual idea they can run with and layer elements throughout the show.

Look to some of the archetypal male heroes or literary figures to create a show: perhaps a Count of Monte Cristo show (plenty of chance for dramatic flair there), reverse the archetype and focus on a villain in a "Goodfellas" show, maybe even something as out there as a true book-inspired "Fight Club" show.

There's so much history and tradition to work with and build on for the future that the sky is the limit for the Scouts. . . .whatever they decide, I wish them well, 'cause I want to see them back on Saturday night soon. :doh:

Ramon

Ramiro?

Rethink the forced connection to all things Latin. . .yes, there were some great shows that came from that, but it's not good to make yourself over in your own shadow. The Relampago connection is tenuous at best, and becomes farcical at worst. Every year since Scott Stewart left has felt like a continual search for a programmatic identity.

Things have to change dramatically, I think . . .not necessarily design staff wise, but as an overall design vehicle for the corps. There are several niches to be filled, from straight ahead jazz to symphonic rock, that would be appealing to both the audience and judges.

If it were me, I would restructure the program coordinator position in the off season; not to get rid of Ramiro, because he knows what he's doing, but perhaps make it more of a collaborative effort, with Ramiro in an advisory role.

The brass sound is still strong; now it needs to be more technically proficient; look at Bluecoats as a guideline. . . they've done well the past few years keeping a big, jazzy sound on the field.

The guard program has improved, but that's not good enough in the visually oriented shows that they need to produce now. Look at how much BD's guard does for their visual numbers. Get some Crown or BD alums in there and create a visual package that is modern and masculine.

. . .a good fit next year might be a Broadway themed show or a production similar to Cavaliers 2004 with an simple motif to expound on like Bond; something, anything that creates an easy to grab onto visual idea they can run with and layer elements throughout the show.

Look to some of the archetypal male heroes or literary figures to create a show: perhaps a Count of Monte Cristo show (plenty of chance for dramatic flair there), reverse the archetype and focus on a villain in a "Goodfellas" show, maybe even something as out there as a true book-inspired "Fight Club" show.

There's so much history and tradition to work with and build on for the future that the sky is the limit for the Scouts. . . .whatever they decide, I wish them well, 'cause I want to see them back on Saturday night soon. :doh:

minor point:

the Cabs in DCA have been primarily Latin since 1946. Hasn't really hurt them. In fact the one time recently they strayed, they bombed competitively.

A lot of it is how you arrange and design it. I felt in 08 they started to get a eel for it again. This years show came off as blah