Madison Scouts 2010

minor point:

the Cabs in DCA have been primarily Latin since 1946. Hasn't really hurt them. In fact the one time recently they strayed, they bombed competitively.

A lot of it is how you arrange and design it. I felt in 08 they started to get a eel for it again. This years show came off as blah

I agree with that premise in some regards, Jeff . . .but DCA sheets are also designed differently than World Class ones are. I have no doubt that if the Scouts did 2003 Cabs (amazing show in its own right) note for note, it would kick ### . . .but it wouldn't move them back up the food chain in DCI.

Madison's identity, I think, is more than just Latin stuff or jazz . . .it's one that says "showmanship". They've sold us everything from Jesus Christ Superstar to Cuban Overture over the years.

I think anything that fits into that "here it is: we play it bigger, louder, faster and in your face and you'll beg for more" image that they embody could work; perhaps even something else Latin flavored when the time is right . . .but I think there may be some burnout now from so many years (2005, 2006, 2008, 2009) of trying to find something to grab onto theme-wise.

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This past year's design seemed kind of forced. The concept, on paper, looked like it had a lot of potential, but it didn't follow through visually and "pow" became a "poke".

Like Bawker said, take a better look at the visual design, especially in the color guard. Take notes on what worked in 2003. The guard that year looked like men, even from the nosebleed seats.

I agree with that premise in some regards, Jeff . . .but DCA sheets are also designed differently than World Class ones are. I have no doubt that if the Scouts did 2003 Cabs (amazing show in its own right) note for note, it would kick ### . . .but it wouldn't move them back up the food chain in DCI.

Madison's identity, I think, is more than just Latin stuff or jazz . . .it's one that says "showmanship". They've sold us everything from Jesus Christ Superstar to Cuban Overture over the years.

I think anything that fits into that "here it is: we play it bigger, louder, faster and in your face and you'll beg for more" image that they embody could work; perhaps even something else Latin flavored when the time is right . . .but I think there may be some burnout now from so many years (2005, 2006, 2008, 2009) of trying to find something to grab onto theme-wise.

actually if Madison could do that show and have the DCi timeline to clean it'd kick ### regardless of the sheets IMO. that show was not your average DCA design.

the problem with Madison and Latin is they usually go back to the same well over and over

Something I think they should NOT do is play something (or rather, many somethings) that they've played in the past. Sure maybe one of the pieces could be a throw-back, or better yet simply a section of a piece could be, but I think for this design team to find a niche for the Scouts now and in the future and to build a competitive train that will ride into the top group they will need to be able to put out NEW products just like the big boys do... as cool as a throwback show is, let's just leave them to the alumni corps. Madison can play all the ballsy jazz and screamin' latin licks they want, let's just make sure it's not simply because they've done it before.

They did do well with some of the big band classics

This year’s show had potential or at least I thought when I first saw it, it just never went anywhere and seemed over their heads and yeah, that guard was a bit much, they should have had one character not the entire guard

Along with regiment, I’d give them biggest victim of the Spartacus effect