Madison Scouts 2010

Anything but Malaga.

extend that. Anything that does not have "Mala" in the name. No Malaga. No Malaguena. no Malaguguena. No Malaguenaga.

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

extend that. Anything that does not have "Mala" in the name. No Malaga. No Malaguena. no Malaguguena. No Malaguenaga.

They're smart enough not to do Malagueña for awhile, but the past two times they touched Malaga (2009 and 2004) it just felt so forced and dumb. But '94 and '95...what a perfect closer to a drum corps show.

Madison's identity, I think, is more than just Latin stuff or jazz . . .it's one that says "showmanship". They've sold us everything from Jesus Christ Superstar to Cuban Overture over the years.

This is what it's about more than anything else- their ability to put practically ANYTHING on the field, concept-wise, take complete ownership of it and ram it down crowds' throats every night. Consider the 90's, when they did Latin, City of Angels, JCS, Hall of the Mountain King and PIRATES (how has THAT gone unmentioned so far??? :doh: ). To me, THAT is what has been missing from the MOM (Men Of Madison) the last few years, probably since Carmen, and it's something that cannot be recovered overnight either. It'll have to be rebuilt gradually and deliberately.

They're smart enough not to do Malagueña for awhile, but the past two times they touched Malaga (2009 and 2004) it just felt so forced and dumb. But '94 and '95...what a perfect closer to a drum corps show.

There is a HUGE difference in the 2004 and 2009 shows. Just sayin.

I like that this thread is not the OFFICIAL anything thread. Thanks.

I think 2009 is over and done with and I'm trusting lessons learned.

In 2010...it's another year. Have a fun off-season with all the planning and new ideas.

Look forward to seeing the corps in 2010.

Or even something like Ice Castles. Totally Madison, yet the furthest style from Latin you can get.

Really? You think part of the solution should be building "Ice Castles" into the show? Really?

Wow. I'm guessing a non starter there...but, hey...I've been wrong with this corps' music selections in the past.

Yeah, good luck with Ice Castles.

if they worked it in the way BD worked in Pegasus in 07, sure it could work. granted the other 10 minutes would have to be long chords where you werent sure what the melody was

How about a Star Trek show for the Scouts?

Lots of bravado and masculine themes to run with there, and the recent movie is still fresh in most peoples minds. . .as long as it's not a literal interpretation, they would have a ton of music to play with, both from the old movies and the new one. The recognition factor is strong, as most everyone in the Western world at least knows what Star Trek is on a basic level.

Some of the themes in Star Trek II are very nautical and almost reminiscent of parts of 1997 in a way without being a straight homage; Ilia's theme from The Original Motion Picture could either serve as a gorgeous preshow or a ballad.

There's a lot of pseudo-military themes to play with for the guard and plenty of chances for some unique electronic effects.

Really? You think part of the solution should be building "Ice Castles" into the show? Really?

Wow. I'm guessing a non starter there...but, hey...I've been wrong with this corps' music selections in the past.

Yeah, good luck with Ice Castles.

Oh no, I was referring to how they've been successful in the past with music like that, without it having any trace of Latin jazz in it. They play it as an encore tune anyway...not sure how it would fit in a show today. Probably better as an old-school-style closer than a ballad.