Madison Scouts 2010

Dust off some oldies: The Sorcerer & the Latin... Numero Uno... Macarthur Park...

Maybe continue to explore the rock theme like they did in 2008... which almost everyone in the whole world thinks wouldn't work. Which is why I think they should give it another try. Gotta pick the tune(s) carefully, though...

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Screamin' horn solos. Does it really matter what they play? Just give us the screamin' horn solos man. That's Scouts to me.

Relampago was very much a "Scouts show" or a "Scott Stewart show" in concept. Jazz-arranged latin, funny theme. It just didn't work, for whatever reason(s). I liken it to PR 2009 - very much in the same vein of what they've been doing lately, it just didn't work this year.

While I didn't like the show, I don't know if we should conclude that wholesale changes should be made. Such changes were made in 2002 NOT because they weren't doing a "Scouts show" or even a crappy show, but because of the philosophical decisions that led to a 14th place finish. I don't have particular insight - these are conclusions I draw on my own.

So, while I'd like to see them go in a different direction (i.e., non-latin) with show selection, it's based only on personal preference and not competitiveness.

Every year since Scott Stewart left has felt like a continual search for a programmatic identity.

I disagree with this statement. I thought Sal had them going down the right path. 2003 was a well thought out, lets get back to finals show. 2004 was very good musically, and was easy to identify as Madison. Then, 2005 went to another level. The corps was in the TOP FIVE most of that season, placing forth in San Antonio that year. Look at that design team: Beddis, McNutt, Boerma, Pete Weber, Mark Metzger, Cesario, Sal Salas, etc.....We're talking about top shelf designers. This was a team that had they stayed in tact, could have possibly led the Scouts to a championship. Just take a look where all those folks are now.

Edited by oldtimedrummer

I disagree with this statement. I thought Sal had them going down the right path. 2003 was a well thought out,, lets get back to finals show, and 2005 was really a great show. The corps was in the TOP FIVE most of that season, placing third in San Antonio that year. Look at that design team: Beddis, McNutt, Boerma, Pete Weber, Mark Metzger, Cesario, Sal Salas, etc.....We're talking about top shelf designers. Just take a look where all those folks are now.

I understand where you're going there . . .and I tend to agree; Carmen was Spanish without being "Malaguena, Prt Eleventy Billion". However, the corps seemed to have gotten in some financial trouble in getting all those names in there to create that show. The show, to me, kind of sits there after repeat viewings, but was a step in the right direction, certainly.

2005 is about the only exception to the "Where's Madison?" identity search I've seen, though . . .and since Sal is gone now, we'll never really know what could have been the Scouts overall modus operandi and "identity" with him at the helm.