Madison Scouts 2010

How about Cadets 2003. "Our Favorite Things"? Consisting of 'Fanfare and Allegro', 'Malaguena' and 'Rocky Point Holiday'?

Can anyone explain the theme/story behind this collection of music (other than they are killer drum corps tunes)?

Actually the title of the show was "Our Favorite Things" - other corps signature tunes SCV, Scouts, and Cadets all into one show.

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any thoughts on next year?

:tongue: I could tell you what the Scouts have planned for next year, but then, you know I'd have to, well you know, hire Relampago to make sure you didn't let the inside info get out to the public. And sadly, our Mexican superhero is :cool: . He is kinda tired after all those battles this summer! Maybe we can find a shaman in a burgundy cape to wake him again. Nah, they have all gone into hiding, what was I thinking? :doh:

So, it's just watch the website and wait for the big news!! It will be worth the wait! :cool:

I disagree with this statement. I thought Sal had them going down the right path to bankruptcy. 2003 was a well thought out, lets get back to finals show. 2004 was very good musically, and was easy to identify as Madison. Then, 2005 went to another level. The corps was in the TOP FIVE most of that season, placing forth in San Antonio that year. Look at that design team: Beddis, McNutt, Boerma, Pete Weber, Mark Metzger, Cesario, Sal Salas, etc.....We're talking about top shelf designers. This was a team that had they stayed in tact, could have possibly led the Scouts to a championship a defunct organization, hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt. Just take a look where all those folks are now.

Fixed.

Still, though, when it comes to the Scouts . . .maybe another idea is to take a page from the Troopers and put a spin on an old classic: whereas there was "Western Side Story", Scouts could do "Madison takes Harlem" . . .anyone remember them doing Harlem Suite in 1986? Add "Take The A Train" and it could present some interesting possibilities guard-wise, maybe a vibe similar to "Club Blue" in 1996 BD.

So someone seconds my emotion... :)

Earlier in this thread

Actually the title of the show was "Our Favorite Things" - other corps signature tunes SCV, Scouts, and Cadets all into one show.

That was a really cool show...I think Phantom did something like that a few years prior.

Do you feel better now?

I agree with the poster that it's indeed a shame that the Scouts were not able to come up with the funding to keep this quality staff. Other corps did find a way and are reaping the benefits.

This was my thougth as well...in some of my prior posts. One would think the board of directors and the like would have had an idea of salaries, etc....could have dealt with things earlier...as in try to make more money.

On to the present...I wish the Scouts' website was more like BD. BD is doing a great job selling audio clips, CD's... Scouts could certainly us that vehicle as a great money making opportunity.

So they had some good designers on staff during those years, but the corps structure almost collapsed due to bad decisions off the field. We may not have had the Scouts around anymore if they kept going in the direction they were going.

The Scouts will be back, and they will be stronger on and off the field. So many of you come in here and discuss what should be done and how to move back up the competitive ranks, yet we put blinders on and think 2009 was not a success simply because the corps was not in finals, or placed this or that.

There's a lot more to making a good corps than a couple of people in green shirts giving you all your opinion about how good a group is.

True...I rather liked most of this year's music...a lot more exciting than the last 2 years...IMO. Drillwise...not so much.

I do, as well, get the feeling that the Scouts will be in fine shape next year.

I think doing a Wynton Marsalis show would be cool. Possibly a John Mackey show. It's visceral enough.

I think a great move for them from a design standpoint would be to do whatever is necessary to get Boerma to write the brass book. Regardless of the concepts they had during his tenure as brass arranger, he was able to give them a vehicle that was indicative of the corps identity. In fact, one could argue that he was largely responsible for a good deal of the corps identity during his time as brass arranger.

As an alumnus, I'd love to see them come on the field in a company front and go into a fleur de lis. That's not the issue, though, just an aside.

I agree with other posters in this thread - the "mistique" of the Madison Scouts doesn't matter to students who are auditioning for drum corps next year. These kids never saw those great Madison groups from the 1970s, 80s, and 90s. I'd imagine that as far as most of them are concerned, Madison is viewed no differently than the Colts, Academy, or Crossmen. I'm not knocking those groups, I'm saying that the "intangible qualities" that make the Scouts the Scouts only matter if they have the vehicle and the performance to back them up.

I've been saying this for years - I want the Scouts to do Sinatra. The music book could be full of those big band jazz number's he did and the guard would have a vehilce to grab on to similar to the Cavies Billy Joel show. How cool would be a "Rat Pack" show. No one to my knowledge has ever taken this on. It would be new yet recognizable.