Madison Scouts 2010

Patience...we must learn patience.

There are others out there who could do a wonderful job for Madison whose first names are not Jim. But, of the ones who's first name is Jim...here's a list...

Jim Kirk...I know...long shot, but people were talking about a Star Trek show from Madison next season. I myself don't see it. Not without hot green alien chicks.

Jim Palmer...yeah, no more underwear ads from this guy. Could help if the show title was "Field of Dreams" though.

Jim McKay...dead sports announcer...nope.

Bob Barker....sorry, not named Jim and he's dead.

Jim Morrison...didn't Madison do a rock show already?

Jimmy Dean....nope..too busy cooking up the sausage. Maybe kitchen crew?

Jimi Hendrix....see Morrison (above)

Jimmy Smits...Played a Hispanic President. More Spanish music?

Jimmy Stewart...dead actor. Once played Glenn Miller in a movie.

Jim Varney...dead comic. Played Jed Clampett in a movie. Madison needs some of his millions.

Jim Nabors...he's from Indiana.

Or maybe you could get Jim Jones to take over administration of your camps. But I hear he has a high-paying gig down in Georgetown, Guyana.

He would be a perfect fit for this thread. There are plenty of Kool-Aid drinkers in this organization.

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or maybe you could get Jim Jones to take over administration of your camps. But I hear he has a high-paying gig down in Georgetown, Guyana.

He would be a perfect fit for this thread. There are plenty of Kool-Aid drinkers in this organization.

This comment is really nasty. I think the forum administrator should lift this person's ability to post on DCP.

Vic Russell

Hater

yeah...nice. I knew where you were going with that. And the timeframe has well elapsed from when people should take offense at Jonestown references.

I mean it was like 25 years ago now?

OK...I thought it was funny and it was not directed at anyone in particular. But, dark humor...I'm a fan.

yeah...nice. I knew where you were going with that. And the timeframe has well elapsed from when people should take offense at Jonestown references.

I mean it was like 25 years ago now?

OK...I thought it was funny and it was not directed at anyone in particular. But, dark humor...I'm a fan.

Madison has made some nice hires this offseason. And yes, this could be the necessary steps, to move this corps back in to the Top 12. It could be. Nothing is guaranteed.

But let's be realistic. These hires do not prove anything, at this point. These individuals could pan out - or they may not. What will be the attitude towards these new "Jims", in 5 years, if Madison doesn't make it back to the top? Will it mirror that which you now have towards Mr. Salas?

If I were associated with this organization, as a parent or alumni, I would be approaching the upcoming season with a cautious, but optimistic, attitude. (I have seen a lot of irrational exhuberance so far in this thread, which is why I posted the Kool-aid comment. Sorry if that was out of bounds.)

I would start elevating the "Jims" to hero status, once they have shown a solid improvement in Madison's performance. None of these individuals is the Messiah, and none of them is going to elevate Madison in the standings on their own.

Ultimately, Madison's performance will depend on the 150 men who take the field next June - not on the "Jims" in the pressbox.

Madison has made some nice hires this offseason. And yes, this could be the necessary steps, to move this corps back in to the Top 12. It could be. Nothing is guaranteed.

But let's be realistic. These hires do not prove anything, at this point. These individuals could pan out - or they may not. What will be the attitude towards these new "Jims", in 5 years, if Madison doesn't make it back to the top? Will it mirror that which you now have towards Mr. Salas?

If I were associated with this organization, as a parent or alumni, I would be approaching the upcoming season with a cautious, but optimistic, attitude. (I have seen a lot of irrational exhuberance so far in this thread, which is why I posted the Kool-aid comment. Sorry if that was out of bounds.)

I would start elevating the "Jims" to hero status, once they have shown a solid improvement in Madison's performance. None of these individuals is the Messiah, and none of them is going to elevate Madison in the standings on their own.

Ultimately, Madison's performance will depend on the 150 men who take the field next June - not on the "Jims" in the pressbox.

Yeah, I might disagree with some of what you say...but, on the surface, it's the 150 Scouts who take the field that matter here and who will be among these 150.

I will say though, the guys listed so far have success and I don't believe the drum corps game has passed them by. Someone suggested DeLucia for instance and for me...it's a non-starter. He would add zero to the Scouts overall plan.

It all relates though...the guys listed as caption heads go get the guys who are going to teach this everyday. The philosophy shifts somewhat as well. So, it does matter and the rollouts over the course of the past week or so are designed to create the buzz being created. In short, it's working. So, the next key milestone will be the recruiting numbers come November and then the quality of the entire on field product next June - August.

But, what was clear to me after last season...changes had to be made. The on-the-field product just didn't provide a finals capable platform and some of the off the field antics expressed earlier here and in other threads were alledgedly "not typical Madison Scouts behavior." I would expect both elements to change drastically for the better.

Some have commented on here about some rumor of a move to Indiana? I have found that discussion interesting as I can tell you first hand, the Madison area has not been very supportive when it comes to facilities use, etc. Yeah, the days were Madison East and their fieldhouse was used but I can also remember days and days at MATC on pavement all day.

So, we shall see where that goes...but my biggest concern with Madison has been the lack of Wisconsin members in any great number. The fly and drive is not great from the Chicago airports and flights straight into Madison can be expensive. How do current members handle the travel?

I read your other post, so I get where you're going with this, but I'd have to say - if the Madison folks aren't going to drink the Kool-Aid, then who is going to? Honestly, I *want* a board, organization, alumni and families that are drinking from the hype well - that's how things are going to get fixed quickly.

Just my .02 for the day. :rolleyes:

Mike

Eh, you must study history to understand why what you've said doesn't compute. History will repeat.