Top ten Blue Devils shows of all time

When I saw 2008 live, I had just seen Spartacus; I didn't give the Blue Devils the attention they deserved because I was looking forward to retreat. I treated BD like an intermission. But one year later, that show is one of the top plays from my 2008 CDs. When I watch the DVDs I always look forward to seeing that program again, and the further I get removed from that August night in Bloomington the more convinced I am that BD should have won.

Can't say I agree with you on 2008, but I went through a similar process with 2004. Right after 2004 Finals, there was no doubt in my mind The Cavaliers had the better show. By 2005, I wasn't so sure. By 2006, there was no doubt in my mind the Blue Devils had the better show.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can't say I agree with you on 2008, but I went through a similar process with 2004. Right after 2004 Finals, there was no doubt in my mind The Cavaliers had the better show. By 2005, I wasn't so sure. By 2006, there was no doubt in my mind the Blue Devils had the better show.

I did the same with the '08 show at Finals, but aside from the opening drum break, it's not getting much replay with me.

2004 however... man, that was a good show. Even in 2nd, it was underrated at the time.

Mike

My top 10 would go this way:

(This may not be popular, relmquist, but I am including 2009 in my list.)

I just was making an observation. Don't get me wrong; I liked the music, but I stand by my original opinion as to the lack of cohesiveness in the 2009 show.

When I saw 2008 live, I had just seen Spartacus; I didn't give the Blue Devils the attention they deserved because I was looking forward to retreat. I treated BD like an intermission. But one year later, that show is one of the top plays from my 2008 CDs. When I watch the DVDs I always look forward to seeing that program again, and the further I get removed from that August night in Bloomington the more convinced I am that BD should have won.

I'm am so torn on this. I love Phantom's "Spartacus" show, am completely transported by its near-perfect blend of music and theatricality, but find the marching (and keep in mind that this is very relative) somewhat suspect for a winning corps. Meanwhile, BD absolutely nailed everything. I enjoy the show (and the "tightrope" concept has really grown me), yet don't love it as much. *sigh*

I was similarly torn with Santa Clara's show this year. Absolutely loved it, yet when I saw them and BD in Buffalo, I knew BD was the superior corps.

I just was making an observation. Don't get me wrong; I liked the music, but I stand by my original opinion as to the lack of cohesiveness in the 2009 show.

It's fine to make an observation; we're all free to post our opinions here. But if you'll notice, at least two of us have included 2009 in our lists (and one, David Hill, had done so prior to your post; it's right there on page 1). So, criticize the show all you want, but that aspect of your post -- that "no one" is including 2009 on their list -- is inaccurate.