What is the criteria for an undefeated corps season?

It seems there's a disagreement as to what constitutes an undefeated season in Drum Corps. Some feel all performances are included in a season and others feel prelims aren't part of the official final score.

We have a case where a '75 Madison Scout says his DCI championship ring has the word undefeated on it. But another drum corps lifer says DCI recognizes '82 Blue Devils as the first undefeated DCI corps. Rub. If it was considered undefeated then, why isn't it now? Same with '77 Devils and '83 Garfield. Also, what about undefeated seasons before DCI? (How many, criteria, etc.)Drum corps managed to survive for 50 years before DCI.

So, we should find out. All opinions are welcome here but what we really need is an official ruling-- "my cousin said" or "I heard yada yada" is fine but if you have input, give props or cut and paste the source. Even better is if we can get a DCI spokesmen to comment.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, you've opened Pandora's box now!

My ruling is (which is by no means "official"):

A loss is a loss is a loss.

1. If you were at a show

2. That had judges

3. Where you got a placement

4. You received a score

5. A corps placed higher than you...

YOU LOST!!

Having said that, get ready for what I called in the undefeated poll, the "Madison Syndrome". Where if it looks like a duck and acts like a duck... it equals an undefeated season.

Edited by skajerk

I personally believe that each corps should get no less than 5 mulligans.

To me, it's a matter of common sense. UNDEFEATED means nobody beat you, EVER, in the whole season. I'll concede that a tie doesn't count as a defeat (though it hardly helps the "dominant" argument when you were at least matched by one other), but a loss in a prelims show certainly does.

How is a loss at a major regional prelims, with full DCI sanctioned judging panels and all that, any "less" of a loss than at some early season podunk show with local yokels taking their judging shot at the bigtime (happens a LOT in the early days).

The 86 Blue Devils were beaten first show out. Considering how they wiped the floor with the competition the rest of the year, that loss it a bit of a question mark, but still they WEREN'T undefeated.

Anyway, so long as you've lost any "regular" drum corps show (prelims, finals, jerkwater Minnesota) you're not undefeated. No, parades don't count. Nor mixed corps/band shows judged by the mayor, or shows with audience applausometers where the Velvet Knights sport an impressive record of victories against the Blue Devils AND the Vanguard.

But regular shows? Absolutely.

(by the way, if Crown had tagged the Blue Devils once during finals week, and BD had somehow won anyway...I wonder how many people around here would be willing to call the Devs "undefeated" :thumbup:)

Didn't Dan Acheson himself march 75 Madison?

I mean if he marched this corps....and he's in charge of DCI. We should all harass him and let him make the final and definitive judgement. DOES DCI RECOGNIZE THE 1975 MADISON SCOUTS AS BEING UNDEFEATED? Simple enough. Somebody send him an email. He'll probably reply with little bias.

EVERY contest that is judged is a contest. Some corps were quick to write off prelim scores (especially those corps that lost?)

I'm sure the Watkins Glen Squires wish they could write off their '75 DCI Championship prelims, where they fell less than a point away from the Troopers' 12th place spot.