THOUGHTS ON 12-22

COLTS- Loose the 1978 design. no difficulty in program as compared to other 12-17. good guard.

ACADEMY- 1/2 the show was great 1/2 was dirty and dull. should have beat colts . drums held them back .

MADISON -loose the Latin , worst guard uniforms since Crowns toga's , strong brass sound , terrible show , not clean . loosing identity.

CROSSMEN -Hardest show of the group , too hard. good brass sound- best in years . but too hard and too dirty. should have beat Madison. Music hard to follow. good drums , good brass, weird music.

SPIRIT -bad program , good corps . brass needed to play more. only corps where i did not like the synth parts. over used. they can drum . get back to your roots.

Mandarins- Good corps , very clean a good move for them. right out of semi's. good job.

PC and SURF--- Both part time touring corps and you could tell. missing simple moves that full time corps do not. both good shows , but If they continue to do part time tour this is where they will finish

Pioneer -mucho better , keep going , now evolve a little please. NO ONE can play the SAME exact style for 25 years IRISH....

Cascades --good corps , no guard. add for 2010 and they will move up.

2010--TEAL Sound , Capitol Regiment ?????

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Crossmen: I'd like for the Crossmen to consider not making next year a "melange" year for the brass book. I appreciate what they're going for, but I feel like the charts just try to do too much and the musical idea becomes lost. There's so much potential in Texas, it's crazy . . .

Take the capes off and lighten up things a bit as far as show concepts go . . .how about some jazz fusion charts next year, maybe? Something that Guidry can take advantage of the electronics with and the Crossmen can reclaim a little of that jazz identity they ran with for many years. :thumbup:

Take the capes off and lighten up things a bit as far as show concepts go . . .how about some jazz fusion charts next year, maybe? Something that Guidry can take advantage of the electronics with and the Crossmen can reclaim a little of that jazz identity they ran with for many years. :thumbup:

There are some recent jazz fusion recordings that could fit the bill if they went that direction. The stuff from 5 Peace is a great update for Corea/McLaughlin and all of the performances on there are mind blowing.

Raju as an opener? Maybe.

MADISON -loose the Latin , worst guard uniforms since Crowns toga's , strong brass sound , terrible show , not clean . loosing identity.

I think they should keep the latin... id disagree that theyre losing their identity. I think this year and last year they finally had the 'madison attitude' back. Better show design and guard could move them up.

CROSSMEN -Hardest show of the group , too hard. good brass sound- best in years . but too hard and too dirty. should have beat Madison. Music hard to follow. good drums , good brass, weird music.

Loved their show... my only problem with them the last couple years has been in the arrangements. Too often theyre handing over big brass moments to the pit, which is kind of a letdown.

SPIRIT -bad program , good corps . brass needed to play more. only corps where i did not like the synth parts. over used. they can drum . get back to your roots.

agree fully.

Pioneer -mucho better , keep going , now evolve a little please. NO ONE can play the SAME exact style for 25 years IRISH....

agreed. Even BK did a show without some form of "Knight" in the show title this year, haha. They were much better this year.. lets see some more next year.

Of this group, I'd award Surf with the nod for the best designed show. A simple concept of Mozart that didn't try to complicate itself with an elaborate story, etc. and offered very entertaining and unique arrangements of mostly familiar works. GREAT first year production in World Class for this corps.

Yep, prettymuch echos my thoughts from Salem, aside from the roots part. Execution? top 12 worthy IMO. Design? there were a few that finished below them with better (Surf notably) and all above them clearly better. The corps needs to get a new design team in there (keep Gwaltney though) and recruit hard at the college level.

Much credit to the performers for maxing out the show, it was just flat out underdesigned.

As for the roots, bring back the unis circa 2001-03. Much like the Cavaliers, Cadets, Phantom, BD, Scouts, SCV and Crossmen unis, you know who it is when you see them. It's unique and most of all it's a mostly timeless look that IMO doesn't really get old. Play Georgia or Salvation as on-field warmup, but that's as far as I go. Go with something that's going to be more competitively successful. If it's a modernized throwback show that was successful in the past such as "Glory" or "Porgy and Bess" then by all means go with it, those are shows that I think would work now. If it's going with the style that the corps went with in 01, 02 or 06? I'm down with that. Just be carefull about the road you go down; I don't know about others but I'm not sure a 78, 80 or 86 retread would work now, and those are some of my favorite shows of all time.

Crossmen: I'd like for the Crossmen to consider not making next year a "melange" year for the brass book. I appreciate what they're going for, but I feel like the charts just try to do too much and the musical idea becomes lost. There's so much potential in Texas, it's crazy . . .

AGREE 100 %

Bawker just nailed Crossmen...mmmmm

except for the part about having guidry in the equation at all

their arranger in 06 seemed to have his stuff together, just the program didn't and the drill didn't work for the members ... go back to him

or is Naffier still on the market? :thumbup:

Andy Yozviak wrote an awesome book that their brass caption head that year majorly ####ed up for them. I expect changes in arranging department at bones, don't know for sure, but I just have this feeling. They are set with percussion though... awesome book this year, the line was pretty solid too.

Edited by kickhaltsforlife