THOUGHTS ON 12-22

The problem here with the statement that Corpsmudgeon made is not about feeder vs. professional corps. The problem is that drum corps used to be about touching kids lives through making them the best that they were able to be, even if they had limited experience in marching or playing. Everything is slipping away for the good of marketing the Major League.

Music as a whole is a sacred art because it touches those that listen to it so much. Inside the hornarc, with your rookie buddy that has worked so hard over the season, learned a new instrument, and is playing at a high level... do you know what that must feel like? Do you know the absolute bonds which can not be shaken, the corps bonds which no marching band can match?

And now, it all just slips away. Music in corps rarely has such a sacred duty as to provoke an emotional response to those inside the hornarc as times like these. This is why corps' songs are so impressive and meaningful. They mean something to everybody, especially to the Regiment member who played a saxophone and learned a contra, who thought he was awful at the winter camps, or the Cadet Sop who played bass drum before joining them because he wouldn't get a chance in the drum line (Brian Prato).

These kinds of people worked hard then to make the grade. But, you know what the best thing was? They stuck around. They stuck around and they got better. They stuck around and they became staff and forerunners of the activity.

I will take dedication over talent any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

AMEN, AMEN, AMEN.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I will take dedication over talent any day of the week and twice on Sunday.

And I bet you there are people at that same audition who have both, and they are the ones that are picked.

If corps X has 500 people audition, they're going to pick the "best" kids for the year. Best is a relative term and someone with no marching experience but great skills and grit can make it into the corps, but odds are that the corps is going to pick the people with the most experience and talent over those who are just starting out.

There is plenty of opportunity to march, and you can't blame a corps because everyone wants to march there.

This is in response to whoever said Jay was arranging at Spirit - It is Scott Boerma. Great Arrangements

This is in response to whoever said Jay was arranging at Spirit - It is Scott Boerma. Great Arrangements

Yep, brainfart. I was thinking of a college friend with the same last name. Certainly isn't the first time it's happened to me, won't be the last. :tongue:

I sometimes wonder if the race to the Top 12 -- and establishing consistency -- is about survival as much as anything. How long can a corps survive in this environment without a few Top 12 finishes?

I sometimes wonder if the race to the Top 12 -- and establishing consistency -- is about survival as much as anything. How long can a corps survive in this environment without a few Top 12 finishes?

At least 23 years. Ask Troopers :tongue:

Edited by DrumCorpsMom

• 2 weeks later...