THOUGHTS ON 12-22

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This.

In all seriousness, before you pass any judgment on the arranging skills of Andy Yozviak, please do acquire a copy of the '06 preseason CD. You'll find that it's an entirely different horn book.

And as far as Aaron Guidry's writing goes, it is not an exaggeration to say that the parts he composes for the Crossmen hornline are far from idiomatic for brass instruments. I will admit, Guidry is a fine musician and an excellent percussionist, but it often shows that he is no brass musician. Say what you will, but the Crossmen hornline has definitely been on the rise for the past two years. Next year, it's likely they'll only be even better. Maybe it's about time the Crossmen have a horn book capable of showcasing such disciplined, skilled performers...

So true... just listen to recordings from their hornline in the lot, and you'll learn just how awful their brass books have been... this past year, worse than 08....

dead on on everything.

Crossmen:

I like the look and the originality of the capes but they didn't work. Hanging off of the shoulders, they would move randomly as the players moved, making the drill look dirtier than it was. Blue Devils didn't have this problem because their little cape things were attached at the waist.

Agreed! I love the capes but they do dirty things up quite a bit. What they need is a cape ala '84 where it was attached to the hip and shoulders I believe. Personally, though I think corps needs a uniform change. The black really does shrink the corps

Guidry and Yozviak are both accomplished arrangers. That said, I don't feel like it's fair to put 2007-2009 all on Guidry, because he is following the guidelines that are given to him. If Guidry was asked to change it up some, I'm sure he would be capable of doing that.

As someone else mentioned in this thread, the Crossmen are struggling with an on-field identity.

Didn't Yoz write for Bucs too prior to coming to the Crossmen? or was it just Bobby that came from Bucs?

I don't know where he came from, but this is on the West Chester website:

As a composer, Mr. Yozviak has accepted commissions to compose and arrange music in a variety of genres. He has composed commissioned works for winds, chorus, jazz ensemble, and a variety of chamber ensembles. Mr. Yozviak’s work as an arranger has yielded more than one hundred fifty marching band shows for some forty high schools, eight universities, and five drum and bugle corps. His original compositions for marching band, Water, Winter Sketches and Night Visions are published by Marching Show Concepts.

Guidry and Yozviak are both accomplished arrangers. That said, I don't feel like it's fair to put 2007-2009 all on Guidry, because he is following the guidelines that are given to him. If Guidry was asked to change it up some, I'm sure he would be capable of doing that.

I'm pretty sure Guidry is given little to no guidelines.. just a show concept.. and he just pounds the keys on his synth then gives it to Carol Chambers to orchestrate... (that could get better also). Then the horn line gets it. Yeah I'm sure there are some guide lines, but I'm pretty sure Guidry can't work under guidelines. Don't get me wrong.. I respect him as an extremely accomplished musician.... just not an arranger for drum corps.

On field identity is a struggle right now.

And yes Yoz did write for Bucs for a year or two.

This.

In all seriousness, before you pass any judgment on the arranging skills of Andy Yozviak, please do acquire a copy of the '06 preseason CD. You'll find that it's an entirely different horn book.

And as far as Aaron Guidry's writing goes, it is not an exaggeration to say that the parts he composes for the Crossmen hornline are far from idiomatic for brass instruments. I will admit, Guidry is a fine musician and an excellent percussionist, but it often shows that he is no brass musician. Say what you will, but the Crossmen hornline has definitely been on the rise for the past two years. Next year, it's likely they'll only be even better. Maybe it's about time the Crossmen have a horn book capable of showcasing such disciplined, skilled performers...

If the CROSMEN do go another direction with brass arranging it will not be Yozviak. he is unproven and did not do a great job in his 1 year as a WC arranger. maybe the pre season sounded better ( this I doubt by the way ) because the drill was staged so poorly that season?

It was BOBBY JONES who came from the bucs. YOZ ony wrote for a couple div. II corps and was Jay BOCOOK's YEA/CADETS choice.

I was told , Andy was too green to make changes and It was left up to the caption head.

CHUCK NAFFIER is out there.

a proven CROSSMEN arrranger.

why go to YOZ ? ANOTHER UNPROVEN BRASS ARRANGER.

I am sure he does wonders for his college bands.

as GUIDRY does very well for BOA Bands.

BUT THIS IS DRUM CORPS.

why go to YOZ ? ANOTHER UNPROVEN BRASS ARRANGER.

I don't think anyone is suggesting Crossmen use Andy. What we were doing was defending those who felt it necessary to smear him without cause.

As for who should arrange for Bones? I second the Chuck suggestion. They never should have moved away from him in the first place.