THOUGHTS ON 12-22

well said,

Most of these posters have never been in front of a WC line .

There is much more to drum corps than scores.

The problem lies with all the #####ing about drum corps usually comes from people who have marched corps / vets.

People, remember what Drum corps is about.

Remember what YOU got out of it.

A high score , who really cares.

A ring -Big wow. sits in a drawer somewhere.

or the experience and friendships of a life time ??????

CHEZ

Thank you Chez. So many people like to say my experience didn't mean as much because I was not a finalist. This message is displayed in several ways, some very obvious and others more subtle, but I don't put much weight in it. I would've loved to make finals, sure. Winning a World Championship, yeah that'd be nice. But I have memories, experiences, and friends/alumni who mean the world to me, and I don't feel competitive success would've changed that at all.

There is a quote that really sums up the sentiment a lot of people are sharing here. . .

"It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end

And DA, I knew I liked you for a reason. I still don't have Lead Sop Vibrato!

Edited by vbc33

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no average fan in Drum Corps. You are either a fan(atic) or an observer. Your "average" fan will go to one, maybe two shows per year. The rest of us go to as many as we can afford. Therefore, your comment about losing average fans is bogus.

Drum Corps was started to give kids a chance to learn and be a part of something constructive. Pioneer still believes that this is the mission of drum corps, and I applaud them for that. As Donny mentioned earlier, without corps like Pioneer there would be a lot fewer kids participating in the top 12. When my son talked with the Cavaliers and the Blue Stars (no experience) he was told quite frankly to go get experience with someone else and come back in two to three years and audition for them.

I believe this reveals a lot about the character of the "top 12". They want to win but they don't want to be bothered with teaching. Seems to me that some of the people on this thread are missing the point about what drum corps is all about.

Thanks to Roman and Donny, my son marched with a World Class Corps playing baritone, when his primary instrument is snare drum. By the way, after one season with Donny, he is playing 1st baritone, in marching season, in his 5A High School band. This band is quite good and has been for many years. So, don't trash or downgrade thepeople that are keeping drum corps what it was intended to be.

I believe this reveals a lot about the character of the "top 12". They want to win but they don't want to be bothered with teaching. Seems to me that some of the people on this thread are missing the point about what drum corps is all about.

I believe it reveals that the "top 12" are interested in teaching at a higher level. If you mix lower skilled members with higher skilled members, one or both of those groups is going to have a poorer learning experience than if you keep members grouped at similar skill levels. I tend to appreciate the efforts of all corps at all levels because they're all catering to the needs of their members. It's nice that there are entry level corps for entry level musicians and higher level corps for more advanced musicians.

I believe it reveals that the "top 12" are interested in teaching at a higher level. If you mix lower skilled members with higher skilled members, one or both of those groups is going to have a poorer learning experience than if you keep members grouped at similar skill levels. I tend to appreciate the efforts of all corps at all levels because they're all catering to the needs of their members. It's nice that there are entry level corps for entry level musicians and higher level corps for more advanced musicians.

I totally disagree with you. Drum Corps is a team effort and the more experienced and higher skilled members have an obligation to help out the "newbies". That is one of the things that makes drum corps unique. I believe that the learning experience is enhanced in this manner. It's about more than winning.

TOTAL CRAP.......

THERE IS NOTHING MORE I CAN SAY.

CHEZ

Thank you Chez. So many people like to say my experience didn't mean as much because I was not a finalist. This message is displayed in several ways, some very obvious and others more subtle, but I don't put much weight in it. I would've loved to make finals, sure. Winning a World Championship, yeah that'd be nice. But I have memories, experiences, and friends/alumni who mean a lot more the world to me, and I don't feel competitive success would've changed that at all.

There is a quote that really sums up the sentiment a lot of people are sharing here. . .

"It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end

And DA, I knew I liked you for a reason. I still don't have Lead Sop Vibrato!

AND thats why your a CHAMPION...

CHEZ

Wow! Ignorance on display. I cannot even think of an appropriate response to this kind of elitist BS.

Wow...

Ok, thats not only the most ludicrous thing I've ever heard, it's the dumbest thing I've ever read on here.

Just who are you to distinguish the level of playing ability in today's corps? This post was just insulting, demeaning, and dumb. Do you really know what corps is?

Its a brotherhood. This kind of #### shows me that you dont want corps or even deserve it. Stick with band, it requires less thinking on your part.

And, just btw- its pretty bad when three great names in this activity come on here and tell you that your comments are bs. Perhaps you should think about editing them or getting up close and personal to that fraternity of sound that you have no idea of.

Sure their design team has a little trouble realizing what drum corps is, but the performers are good and its unfortunate that they worked their ##### off an entire summer for a show that was poorly designed and didn't set them up for success at all. It would be nice to have Naffier, Yozviak or even Goldberg to do the book, because Guidry does not understand anything about drum corps or the corps for which he writes.

Maybe people would view the Crossmen as more like they were "back in the day" if they played more characteristic music and stopped trying to be the new "dark" corps, but calling them a different corps is just totally misinformed and insulting.

Just a thought.

Edited by MikeN
Personal attacks removed. MikeN

Sure their design team has a little trouble realizing what drum corps is, but the performers are good and its unfortunate that they worked their ##### off an entire summer for a show that was poorly designed and didn't set them up for success at all. It would be nice to have Naffier, Yozviak or even Goldberg to do the book, because Guidry does not understand anything about drum corps or the corps for which he writes.

Maybe people would view the Crossmen as more like they were "back in the day" if they played more characteristic music and stopped trying to be the new "dark" corps, but calling them a different corps is just totally misinformed and insulting.

Just a thought.

EASY NOW......

Calm down.

the Crossmen are not changing the name.

they will be fine.

the product they put on the field was better than 2006-2008. The design was suspect but the kids are growing and staying in the corps.

Those rookies are now VETS .

They are building .

THEY WILL BE FINE.

CROSSMEN over the years have had success playing ....

classical 1977-11th place marche slav.

1984-classical Russlan and Ludilla 10th place

Classical 1978-9th place 6th in prelims -russian christmas music

Spanish-1980 -7th place-Pictures De Espana /Spanish Fantasy

Big BAnd -1982-7th place-Artistry in Rhythm/ Stan Kenton

Vocal Jazz-1990-7th place -Baroque Samba /Caravan

Instrumental Jazz-1991-8th place -Metheny

new World Music -1992 -6th place -songs for planet earth.

classical -1993-8th place-Fanfare for the common man

child music-1994 -7th place -children will listen -pop goes the weasel

Classical 1995-10th place -Symphony fro brass and percussion

1996-1998 -jazz programs -8 place ,6th place ,7th place.

classical 1999-blue shades.10th place.

Big Band swing -2000-2002 in the mood , harlem Nocturne , strawberry soup.

Crossmen were never really a Jazz corps or a classical corps or a new age world music corps.

ThEY WERE AND ARE A GREAT CORPS.

That is the KEY.

CHEZ