THOUGHTS ON 12-22

Jeff...

Those kids did very much succeed as much as dont want to give them credit for it. They did much more than try. They achieved to the best level they could. That is the measure of success that I will stick to.

And for eveyone else that wants to send corps that dont score 85 back to Open Class, you wont have a circuit pretty soon. I have discussed the possiblilties of Open Class with Roman many times. I would imagine that the corps would fold.

BTW That hornline was probably better than Westshoremen 96...LOL...seriously. :shutup: just a lot younger.

DA

:tongue::shutup::shutup:

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never saw spirit from the front... but I can tell you that during their show you could hear crickets because the crowd was so dead... yeah they had a loud ending, pretty much forced the crowd to stand up if they even stood up... people have different definitions of a standing O'. The people at the top and between the 45s doesn't count. and hell, a lot of people stand up after every show... just because it's what they do, to stretch... or they like to applaud the kid's efforts which is cool. Personally, I want a performance, if you don't motivate me to stand up, I won't... Crown and SCV were the only two corps this year that made me do that.

Sort of back on topic:

I feel like 12- whatever are just lacking the shows that make people go wow, that was good. The shows are either way to hard for that corps so they look and sound like ### half the time, or they are just poorly designed shows that make everyone go bleh, better luck next time.

Honestly they all need to play the game... easy achievable shows with fan appeal... that's how you get into finals, ask Trooper 09, and Scouts 08, Crossmen 08??? eh kind of, missing fan appeal.. maybe one reason they didn't make it in???

Honestly though, 1-whatever, I challenge all of you to make me want to stand up at the end of your show, or even numerous times during your show.

Sir...I dont care who the staff is at Pioneer...the kids get a good drum corps education. They get to the level that they are able to get to, because of the existing staff and the care they show to the kids. We give kids with NO experience a chance in WORLD CLASS.

Your comment is incorrect. I would love to see you out there teaching this corps and then say the same thing.

Donny

well said,

Most of these posters have never been in front of a WC line .

There is much more to drum corps than scores.

The problem lies with all the #####ing about drum corps usually comes from people who have marched corps / vets.

People, remember what Drum corps is about.

Remember what YOU got out of it.

A high score , who really cares.

A ring -Big wow. sits in a drawer somewhere.

or the experience and friendships of a life time ??????

CHEZ

well said,

Most of these posters have never been in front of a WC line .

There is much more to drum corps than scores.

The problem lies with all the #####ing about drum corps usually comes from people who have marched corps / vets.

People, remember what Drum corps is about.

Remember what YOU got out of it.

A high score , who really cares.

A ring -Big wow. sits in a drawer somewhere.

or the experience and friendships of a life time ??????

CHEZ

Wow, the north east huh? Now that's a real hot bed of band activity!

Tell that to the Cadets, Crossmen of Yesteryear, 27th Lancers, Raiders, Jersey Surf, 7th Regiment, Spirit of Newark, Alliance, and numerous other corps that were in the Northeast.

Yes, the northeast is fertile ground for corps and instrumentalists.

Admitttedly and unexpectedly a little flat in Allentown was Pioneer. After the rehearsals we had been having in St. Clair and the warm ups prior to the show, truthfully I was expecting more pizzazz from the corps. I guess they saw the crowd and didnt quite do the emotional job I was hoping for. But there is much more than just that as you know. Another problem with electronics is that I had to leave them way before they entered the stadium to get up top to do the mixing from the judges view. i dont know what happened between the warmups and show gate. However, people seem to forget the amount of what compared to corps in the same neighborhood. Cascades were much safer than Pioneer based on many views and my biased opinion LOL.

At quarter finals my kids werent flat at all. Just young...

DA

I hear ya.

Admitttedly and unexpectedly a little flat in Allentown was Pioneer. After the rehearsals we had been having in St. Clair and the warm ups prior to the show, truthfully I was expecting more pizzazz from the corps. I guess they saw the crowd and didnt quite do the emotional job I was hoping for. But there is much more than just that as you know. Another problem with electronics is that I had to leave them way before they entered the stadium to get up top to do the mixing from the judges view. i dont know what happened between the warmups and show gate. However, people seem to forget the amount of what compared to corps in the same neighborhood. Cascades were much safer than Pioneer based on many views and my biased opinion LOL.

At quarter finals my kids werent flat at all. Just young...

DA

Donny, any word on not using synths next year?

It still comes back to the experience that kids get. There arent many dedicated drum corps teachers that would take the time to nurture a group like Pioneer. But that is how I "got it" in a parish corps from NYS. If you look at the resumes from most of the people in the DCI HOF and WDCHOF, that is where the most of them started. They are Hall of Famers because they give back to the activity what they loved about it when they were younger. Obviously I do not do this for the money, it is only to give kids the same opportunity that I had when I was young. Look at the bugler's Hall of Fame to find that street kids that became awesome teachers and especially performers never would have had this opportunity without the local parish drum corps or police club drum corps, or YMCA drum corps, or CYO etc and etc...Tommy Martin, Bucky Swan, Ruben, Carl Ruocco, George "Sidemouth" Richardson to just scratch the surface. Maybe even Mr. Chez is like me in regards to we stayed playing because of drum corps, and playing in rock and soul bands earlier in life. We could play these types of gigs because of what we had learned in drum corps. I wont deny any kid that same opportunity that I got. They may go on to teach Blue Devils some day, who knows? Many of the kids I taught in drum corps are now band directors, teachers and caption heads and arrangers. If they werent given an opportunity in drum corps, would this still be the case?

Kudos to Roman for still giving those types of kids a chance, whether anyone thinks they could better with their guidance or not. Volunteer to come on the road for awhile and just get a taste of what we do as teachers, and what these kids do as students on a daily basis, and then MAYBE you open your eyes to what it takes to get a group to a performance level that you witness at quarter finals.

I am very proud to do what I do at Pioneer and it is much more fullfilling than a the numerous rings and high brass trophies I obtained in DCA. The kids deserve to be proud of it as well....and again I invite to come along for a week or more during the summer months if you think that you could do better.

Without corps like Pioneer and Cascades and others to push new kids into drum corps...there will be many less corps at a higher level. We actually TEACH drum corps at Pioneer...not just wave my arms in front of 20-21 year old music majors and fix an occasional balance problem. I take kids that have never played and make them proud to have played every note on their 3rd trumpet part by DCI.

Again everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Donny

Edited by donnymusic