drum corps are not bands

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had the same problem till I understood, band is a catagory as much as marching band, drum corps is an elite form of marching band, in my book

I never marched corps, but have been a fan for years. I think part of it is because in the old days, there were band people who marched in drum corps, but a lot of drum corps people did not march or play in bands. There was a lot less crossover then than now. Drum corps was seen more as a youth activity than a music education experience, and there was a sort of separation between the two. A lot of kids who marched in corps didn't even read music; they learned by rote. Some band directors even forbade their kids from marching corps, from what I have heard and read.

The difference between a marching band and a drum corps is far beyond what types of metal they hold in their hands all summer. And anyone who has marched should know this.

So is it the rehearsal schedule? Because I can list dozens of Open Class and senior corps that practice less than many high school marching bands, would you like me to? Is it the season in which they perform? Because band camps are held in the summer, and corps have camps in the fall. Is it the level of excellence by the performers? Then go ahead and try to tell me that Spirit of Newark is a better musical ensemble than Avon High School.

Drum and bugle corps is defined by the instrumentation, like a brass quartet is defined by the instrumentation, like a rock band is defined by the instrumentation, like a choir is defined by the instrumentation.

I used to get upset but now that they ARE bands, there is no longer an argument except with the name.

Thanks Harold Hill, you did a fine one on drum corps

Trouble...Trouble...Trouble...Tr...

Oh so sorry, wrong answer. Once upon a time there was a difference. It has not " always" been this way.

No, but if that helps you sleep better, then I guess that's what you'll convince yourself to believe. Personally speaking, I find the superiority complex to be quite amusing. Lance is right. People like to pretend there is or was this enormous difference in what was going on, but fundamentally speaking, you march, you drum, you put air through the instruments, you spin, you catch, you do all of this on a football field. Whether you're a trumpet player in the Blue Devils or a trumpet player in East Jabip HS, you're essentially doing the same thing. To differing degrees of excellence, for sure, but still the same fundamental thing. To quote Daniel Ray, "drum corps is marching band." Always has been, always will be.

Edited by rut-roh