drum corps are not bands

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So is it the rehearsal schedule? Because I can list dozens of Open Class and senior corps that practice less than many high school marching bands, would you like me to? Is it the season in which they perform? Because band camps are held in the summer, and corps have camps in the fall. Is it the level of excellence by the performers? Then go ahead and try to tell me that Spirit of Newark is a better musical ensemble than Avon High School.

Drum and bugle corps is defined by the instrumentation, like a brass quartet is defined by the instrumentation, like a rock band is defined by the instrumentation, like a choir is defined by the instrumentation.

I spent awhile trying to put it into words... its very hard to explain it if you havent had the experience. it just... is.

I can't figure out a way to put it into words either. But, I'm one of those people that HATE having someone say a drum corps is a marching band.

I can't figure out a way to put it into words either. But, I'm one of those people that HATE having someone say a drum corps is a marching band.

Yeah..it's just one of those things. I think to a certain degree, it's the connotation of "band." The "band geek" image comes to mind when people mention marching bands. It just does. We in drum corps try to separate ourselves as much as possible from geekdom. That's why we have the term bando :)

I don't like being called a band. It may be elitist or irrational, but that's how it is. We are a different activity with different traditions and expectations. It's really hard to put into words.

It's getting to be very close. BUT, it is what it is.

Actually, that answer is technically correct.

A "Marching Band", by definition, is a group of musicians who perform while marching. Drum Corps has always fit that definition.

"Drum and Bugle Corps" is a subset of the broad "Marching Band" category for the purposes of classification.

As much as I have, out of ignorance and stubbornness said that it is not, I would have to agree with this statement.

However, the difference is not one of instrumentation, but of standing, pride, tradition, and military bearing. I see no reason why G bugles can not be mixed with Bbs or that now, since we have added fake woodwind patches, and that drum & bugle came from fife and drum, that woodwind instrumentation added to the pit would make a difference. (Bracing for thunderdome)

As much as I have, out of ignorance and stubbornness said that it is not, I would have to agree with this statement.

However, the difference is not one of instrumentation, but of standing, pride, tradition, and military bearing. I see no reason why G bugles can not be mixed with Bbs or that now, since we have added fake woodwind patches, and that drum & bugle came from fife and drum, that woodwind instrumentation added to the pit would make a difference. (Bracing for thunderdome)

Certainly I understand the tradition behind not wanting to be called "band"...I marched myself you know, and it used to bug me too.

But in my opinion it boils down to having a problem with the *image* that the term conjures up, and not the term itself, which is technically correct.

I agree. It's one of those things that makes me cringe a bit like "########," "oriental," "dorm," and other words that have gone by the wayside.

Trouble...Trouble...Trouble...Tr...

Right here in River City....

Nt a wholesome race but one where you sit right on the horse

Trouble trouble trouble

:cool:

The difference between a marching band and a drum corps is far beyond what types of metal they hold in their hands all summer. And anyone who has marched should know this.

Sorry, as someone who started marching drum & bugle corps in 70, and been a high school band director 30+ years, drum corps USED to be different from band. Now, it's just the age range and the season of the year that seperate it from marching band, it's just a summer honor marching band.

I have no problem with it, I love the heights that they have achieved, but still, it's a marching band............with a concert band pit.