DCA TV spot now online

Glen

I can. It changes between clips too fast. Even if you know the activity and the corps you'd have a hard time identifying any of them without TIVO or the web version. It could probably use a vocal for the phone number and such as well for those with small TVs or bad eyesight.

But a nice video, for standard definition.

welcome to modern advertising.

especially since in a different thread, we were told we werent going after youth...that stuff attracts youth.

just cant win

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm surprised he didn't list, "no yardlines" as one of his complaints about the video.

well, it wasnt raining in the commercial

Hello everyone. Thank you to everyone who checked out the new DCA television commercial on YouTube, and to those of you who gave input - both good and bad. I have a few thoughts in response to some of the input, some information that may explain the design. Please note that I am speaking for myself here as the producer, and this is not an "official" response from DCA.

First, the music. Although every drum corps fan's first thought is that a commercial should have drum corps music, besides the fact that we found a professional television and film composer to write a killer piece for DCA, there are a few important reasons that we chose to use original music for the spot.

First, there is no such thing as a "compulsory" synchronization license when it comes to the use of music in commercials. So, the cost of the DCA television commercial could have increased substantially if we had to ask for permission and then license the music from the music publishers, not to mention the fact that getting such permissions could take many weeks, time that we do not have before DCA, and the publishers can simply say "no" at the end of the day.

Second, in a :30 spot, you could probably only feature music from 2-3 DCA corps at most, without it sounding disjunct. The solution, of course, would be to feature one corps' music for the full :30 -- but how do you pick the one DCA corps whose music gets to be featured? To get around all of these issues, and have one piece of music that we absolutely knew would work great for the DCA commercial, we retained a professional composer to write "DCA Percussion Blitz", based upon the specific parameters that we gave him. Could drum corps music have worked? Maybe, but it would have been difficult and time consuming to edit, it would only include the music of a few corps, and probably would have been more expensive. So, we made the decision to go with original music, and I think that was the best and most fair decision under the circumstances.

Second, I understand the complaints from people whose class A corps were not featured. Please know that the last DCA commercial that I saw on television featured a total of three DCA corps. So, it was our intent to have this new television spot to feature as many DCA corps as possible. We chose to primarily limit it to the open class corps and not class A, as there was no way to include all of the class A corps, and we wanted to be as fair as possible. Ditto for the alumni corps, minicorps and I&E performers, all of whom are very important facets of the DCA Weekend. The fact is that this new DCA television spot has one purpose, and one purpose only -- to get people excited about the DCA Championships and sell tickets. This :30 spot is not a video yearbook intended to showcase all, or even most, of the talent in DCA. I am sorry if your corps is not featured, but I hope those few of you who are openly writing this spot off simply because it did not include every aspect of DCA will rethink your position.

Finally, I know that a few of you think this modern advertising approach is too fast and frantic. Please understand that the intent behind the speed and excitement in this DCA spot is intentional, and the goal is to get anyone in the living room -- no matter what they are doing or how they feel about drum corps -- to stop what they are doing and stare at the television for :30. We wanted this DCA commercial to be impossible to ignore when it comes on in the middle of CSI or whatever. We did some informal test marketing here in LA with the DCA spot, and the results were incredible -- people who knew nothing about drum corps wanted to watch it over and over again! So, I not only think this new DCA spot is going to work, I think it's going to be fantastic on television, and it will get new fans to inquire about DCA tickets. Will we see a huge surge in ticket sales because of it? I'm not sure -- it depends on how many times the spot is run, and during what hours. This new DCA commercial is not a silver bullet miracle cure for ticket sales, but it is a new and powerful tool in DCA's marketing arsenal.

I hope this explains a little bit of where we were coming from in the design. I hope that everyone in all of DCA corps will help us use this tool to promote ticket sales in DCA. Special thanks to the corps who already put the commercial on their home page, and I hope that we see more DCA corps follow suit ... we get more fans in the door at the DCA Championships = the show gets more exciting for everyone, and every DCA corps wins.

Thanks for listening -

Lee

Nice job on the commercial, but it appears to be a bit biased towards a few corps, other than the current world champions who have 1 pic and 2 short clips in it.

Just my $.02, noone else's.

I respectfully but completely disagree. This commercial features DCA.

Having said that, we all knew going in, that it is literally impossible to create any commercial for DCA where some people will not have an issue with the corps that were featured. This reaction was expected before the project started. I can only tell you in response to that criticism that we simply tried to create the best DCA commercial possible, based on the footage and photographs that we had. Please know that there was no agenda, other than to make an exciting television commercial that sells tickets.

Edited by drumlaw80

I can't believe it......well....ya maybe I can. Why Lee has to explain himself for putting a Fantastic Commercial together is really beyond comprehension. But then......there will always be naysayers.....Monday morning Quartebacks come to mind.....armchair Generals etc, etc, etc....

"Tip-o-the Shako" to you Lee. (and your Staff) Well done. :thumbup::thumbup: First Goose-Bumps I've had this year.

To the negative posters......well.........if you gave them a Turkey Dinner for Thanksgiving they would probably want Ham......Just sayin

Hello everyone. Thank you to everyone who checked out the new DCA television commercial on YouTube, and to those of you who gave input - both good and bad. I have a few thoughts in response to some of the input, some information that may explain the design. Please note that I am speaking for myself here as the producer, and this is not an "official" response from DCA.

First, the music. Although every drum corps fan's first thought is that a commercial should have drum corps music, besides the fact that we found a professional television and film composer to write a killer piece for DCA, there are a few important reasons that we chose to use original music for the spot.

First, there is no such thing as a "compulsory" synchronization license when it comes to the use of music in commercials. So, the cost of the DCA television commercial could have increased substantially if we had to ask for permission and then license the music from the music publishers, not to mention the fact that getting such permissions could take many weeks, time that we do not have before DCA, and the publishers can simply say "no" at the end of the day.

Second, in a :30 spot, you could probably only feature music from 2-3 DCA corps at most, without it sounding disjunct. The solution, of course, would be to feature one corps' music for the full :30 -- but how do you pick the one DCA corps whose music gets to be featured? To get around all of these issues, and have one piece of music that we absolutely knew would work great for the DCA commercial, we retained a professional composer to write "DCA Percussion Blitz", based upon the specific parameters that we gave him. Could drum corps music have worked? Maybe, but it would have been difficult and time consuming to edit, it would only include the music of a few corps, and probably would have been more expensive. So, we made the decision to go with original music, and I think that was the best and most fair decision under the circumstances.

Second, I understand the complaints from people whose class A corps were not featured. Please know that the last DCA commercial that I saw on television featured a total of three DCA corps. So, it was our intent to have this new television spot to feature as many DCA corps as possible. We chose to primarily limit it to the open class corps and not class A, as there was no way to include all of the class A corps, and we wanted to be as fair as possible. Ditto for the alumni corps, minicorps and I&E performers, all of whom are very important facets of the DCA Weekend. The fact is that this new DCA television spot has one purpose, and one purpose only -- to get people excited about the DCA Championships and sell tickets. This :30 spot is not a video yearbook intended to showcase all, or even most, of the talent in DCA. I am sorry if your corps is not featured, but I hope those few of you who are openly writing this spot off simply because it did not include every aspect of DCA will rethink your position.

Finally, I know that a few of you think this modern advertising approach is too fast and frantic. Please understand that the intent behind the speed and excitement in this DCA spot is intentional, and the goal is to get anyone in the living room -- no matter what they are doing or how they feel about drum corps -- to stop what they are doing and stare at the television for :30. We wanted this DCA commercial to be impossible to ignore when it comes on in the middle of CSI or whatever. We did some informal test marketing here in LA with the DCA spot, and the results were incredible -- people who knew nothing about drum corps wanted to watch it over and over again! So, I not only think this new DCA spot is going to work, I think it's going to be fantastic on television, and it will get new fans to inquire about DCA tickets. Will we see a huge surge in ticket sales because of it? I'm not sure -- it depends on how many times the spot is run, and during what hours. This new DCA commercial is not a silver bullet miracle cure for ticket sales, but it is a new and powerful tool in DCA's marketing arsenal.

I hope this explains a little bit of where we were coming from in the design. I hope that everyone in all of DCA corps will help us use this tool to promote ticket sales in DCA. Special thanks to the corps who already put the commercial on their home page, and I hope that we see more DCA corps follow suit ... we get more fans in the door at the DCA Championships = the show gets more exciting for everyone, and every DCA corps wins.

Thanks for listening -

Lee

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::ph34r: