Differences between:

I've got a high school marching band student (Florida, will be 18) that I feel has the playing and marching capability to compete for a spot in a top tier corps. He has mentioned that he would like to audition for Cadets, PR, and/or Crown. Assume he's fine with money, camps, move in, etc. He asked some good questions that I'd like to put to you. . .

All 3 are good corps. In that capacity, a member would get a quality experience. Without being contrived or superficial, what would you tell him then are the differences from one to the other?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, seriously now...my advice would be for your student to contact the caption heads of the three corps and talk to them. Make a list of questions and ask away.

The groups are all excellent, but of course they have their differences. You end up spending a LOT of time with the caption head and their staff over the year, better make sure you like them and are really into their teaching styles. :cool:

Id have him try and talk to members\staff from the corps and get a feel on where the best fit is. Some people fit better at Cadets, some at Crown, some at Blue Stars, some at Phantom, etc. Finding that fit is probably the most important thing. Theyre all going to be quality experiences, as you said, but they all have distinct cultures and atmospheres.

Edited by alarson83

I would say the Cadets would be the most "educational" and "technical" among the three you mentioned. Crown and Phantom would still be wild cards as far as 2010 placement is concerned.

Watch out for any staff changes in the next few months for that would give you some clues of the direction and potential for next season,

Okay, seriously now...my advice would be for your student to contact the caption heads of the three corps and talk to them. Make a list of questions and ask away.

The groups are all excellent, but of course they have their differences. You end up spending a LOT of time with the caption head and their staff over the year, better make sure you like them and are really into their teaching styles. :cool:

Right on. Thanks.

Id have him try and talk to members\staff from the corps and get a feel on where the best fit is. Some people fit better at Cadets, some at Crown, some at Blue Stars, some at Phantom, etc. Finding that fit is probably the most important thing. Theyre all going to be quality experiences, as you said, but they all have distinct cultures and atmospheres.

Yeah, that's what I'm getting at. . .he picked these 3 probably because from watching he feels he identifies with them the most.

I just think it's interesting to try and articulate to a future marcher what makes these teams unique. When I think marching, I think Cadets. But hey, PR has marched at an elite level (IMHO) since 2005. And Crown, by champs, got cleaner than I ever thought they would.

When I think hornline, I am personally a Gino fan. But hey, Crown and PR are elite by judges and fans. So. . .

take into account music type...

I doubt Phantom is going to make the journey to jazz again soon, so, if the person doesn't like classical, I wouldn't suggest PR

Cadets like to perform sometimes controversial programs...should take that into consideration, also

Crown will most likely have the largest group trying out this fall...yet another thing to take into account...