When have pits been too loud?

All Div II corps were unamped for several years, and Phantom didn't have amps in '04.

This post, FTW.

Why does it matter how many people are involved? Following that logic, no soloist should ever be heard. Same with the snareline. Sometimes, a person or group of people, need to be heard to produce a full design effect.

I enjoyed SCV and Cadets's mastery of their books to far outweigh any additional volume (which I didn't hear).

when you have issues hearing the corps, volume's a problem no matter how clean they are

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You didn't hear it? Take a listen to SCV 2004 - particularly the closer. Four vibes demolish an entire brass line.

it's never bad to him.

I absolutely agree with this one. It's pretty frustrating to have the DVD's be such a poor representation of what the shows actually should feel like. Some of them these days are just not worth paying for.... at all.

In my opinion the audio from the DVDs and live theater events since at least as far back 2004 don't even come close to recreating the sound balance of being in the stadium live. And it seems to me it's actually gotten worse consitently more recently instead of getting better from year to year. Or certainly not changed much.

It baffles me how the audio could have been better 20 years ago. But that's the way it feels to me. Kinda defies what you'd expect right?

Defies what I hear, too....but I don't listen to DVDs. DVD sound and CD sound are two different animals.

I absolutely agree with this one. It's pretty frustrating to have the DVD's be such a poor representation of what the shows actually should feel like. Some of them these days are just not worth paying for.... at all.

In my opinion the audio from the DVDs and live theater events since at least as far back 2004 don't even come close to recreating the sound balance of being in the stadium live. And it seems to me it's actually gotten worse consitently more recently instead of getting better from year to year. Or certainly not changed much.

It baffles me how the audio could have been better 20 years ago. But that's the way it feels to me. Kinda defies what you'd expect right?

I have no problem putting in a DVD in of 1988 Blue Devils and showing it off for a friend or relative - and being confident that it represents an exciting and somewhat authentic representation of what it felt like for me when I was there in person. But when I use recent DVD's, I feel like I have to throw in the caveat that "It's too bad the audio isn't better. The horns and battery percussion really sounded louder in person. This is not really an accurate representation of what it felt like for the live audience. I think the amps for the pit must have been too close to the microphones or something."

I'm really hoping that SCV's recording turns out good from this year (2009) because they were obviously one of the corps that had the balance figured out this year. The hornline came through beautifully and allowed the audience to enjoy the nuance of the music. Was quite stunning actually considering how bad amplification has been managed in the past (not just for SCV either).

here's the problem. the mics are where they have always been. but now the outside ones are always right in front of amps.

here's the problem. the mics are where they have always been. but now the outside ones are always right in front of amps.

I still don't see the point of having one amp on each side of the pit. That doesn't even make sense, acoustically.

I've heard that show so many times and never thought that. When the vibe line is that cool, it should be heard. I liked the balance.

Oh well. Personal preference.

There's a marked and distinct difference between "being heard" and "overbalancing". It's a distinction that baritones and sopranos/trumpets have to learn early and often.

It'll be nice when amplified pit performers start getting the same lesson (well, really, I guess it's the sound guys that need it, since they're in charge of the volume and balance and are the ones screwing the pooch)

Not really saying that some corps pits are too loud. But they need to be texured into the music better.

I will say this.

After a few seasons of amplified pits I went back to DCA and listened to recording without the AMPS.

and the AMPS add so much. the instruments do not sound natural and sound cheap without the AMPS.

by natural I mean I don't think a full size Marimba was made to be played outdoors in an open setting.

the amps give those instruments a full natural sound that was missing before.

ALSO ( I DONT REALLY BELIEVE I AM SAYING THIS )....

I really like the use of electronics. by MOST corps this season.

Yes there is cheese out there but that is bad design .

for the most part it was very tastsy

Good work by MOST corps adding the electronics into the programs.

Listen to a pit by themselves. sometimes in the lot. ( of course if you cant find a brass line , lol )

It is very very cool, with the AMPS and Electronics.

GOOD JOB.

CHEZ

Edited by thechezman

This is a joke, right. Correct answer is pretty much all of them. And why are the mallet players still hammering away? Wasn't this done so that they could use proper technique and lift? Not seeing it, pretty much from everyone.

I can see grounding the pit. I cannot see having 15-20 in the pit. I also cannot see having 5 or 6 identical marimbas which are then amped. But I am a horn player and they are giving all the cool parts to the synth and getting credit for it.

Old guys! Remember this phrase, after they had just told you to reset, for the last time, about 5 times and talked for about 1/2 hour into your break--"Horn players, help the pit"? Well, the pit did not help me haul my little monster around all day, so you can push your little nightmare to the truck and load it. I now have about 50 minutes to eat, shower, polish this beast, get in partial uniform and load the truck. Where is that 7-11?

I never had a problem hearing the pit before amps and most certainly would have little issue today considering the wimpy horn lines today. Nothing is weirder than having finger cymbals blow you out of your seat during a soft moment.

This depends completely on where you're sitting. Where's Mr audiodb on this?

With amps and synths, the lower bowl of the stadium is now completely useless. The speaker systems are designed to hit one "sweet spot" in the stadium...wherever the judges are sitting.

If you want to enjoy the show a little better in the future, you might want to start sitting outside the center, outside the speaker-direction.