Temperature remains issue in LOS

How much money would DCI save by having the Championships in Bloomington? I would think it would save a lot. Also, when was the last time it rained at finals?

2004 had a rain delay in denver... but that's summer in denver. as my cousin said when we were visiting her this summer and got rained on while river tubing "welcome to denver, if you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes"

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

“LOS was designed to be an indoor facility with a roof and window open occasionally,” Fox said. “Miller Park in Milwaukee, for example, is designed to be an outdoor facility where the roof closes occasionally.

“Although the common person might look at both as retractable roof stadiums, the design criteria for the two stadiums are completely different.

That says it all. It's pretty much guaranteed that DCI finals week will be an indoor event as long as it's at LOS.

That says it all. It's pretty much guaranteed that DCI finals week will be an indoor event as long as it's at LOS.

Thank you. I couldn't have said it better myself.

Aren't there big "windows" on the sides of LOS? It seemed to me that they were open for a preseason game I noticed on TV recently.

Were they open during Finals week?

If I'm right and there are windows and they were closed -- what do you think would happen if they were open? Would the sound/atmosphere be any better??

T....now we only need to worry about 9 years at LOS right? (well 8 more now)

i am thinking 7 more.

a ten year deal.

year 10 was in Bloomington.

9 was in LOS.

1 year has a conflict not sure which one lets call that one year 8.

7 more years at LOS.

should USE BLOOMINGTON instead.

The INDY area and city are GREAT.

the warm up area was very far away.

seating was good but everybody was so far apart.

and the sound was terrible.

Aren't there big "windows" on the sides of LOS? It seemed to me that they were open for a preseason game I noticed on TV recently.

If I'm right and there are windows and they were closed -- what do you think would happen if they were open? Would the sound/atmosphere be any better??

There is one big window on the north side of the stadium (#1 side) on the upper level behind the Bud Light Zone. The south side has grandstands in that same area. Both the window and the roof have been open for both pre-season Colts games.

Don't know about the sound quality difference, but when they opened them for the first pre-season game, which was the Friday following DCI Finals, the view was great, but the early evening sun was bearing down on the fans on the visitor side where the DCI curtains/banner were and the humidity was an obvious difference.

I did hear that one issue was also the chance of a wind coming up and making the curtain/banners move around during a corps' performance, though I've been in LOS several times now with the roof/window open and have never felt more than a slight breeze.

BTW.....how many rainouts were there this season? I agree with the luck post. While I've been to Finals with beautiful weather in Bloomington, Denver, Pasadena, and Madison.....August in any and all of those could just as well have been stifling hot or monsoon rains.

2014 is the year off. There is a religious convention already booked for that weekend. BTW, did anybody notice that there was also baseball (AAA Indians) games on qtrs/semis nights, a convention, and the Women of Faith convention at Conseco Fieldhouse going on at the same time in downtown Indy? I love the post that first few days that said that outside of the museums, the zoo, the restaurants and bars, the mall (all within walking distance), and the Speedway HOF Museum and State Fair a few miles away. there was just nothing to do in Indy. What do you want, a full circus trotted into your honeymoon suite at the Motel 6?

It's the first year..... let's not throw out the baby with the bathwater. Fix the problem.

Edited by Splooie89

i am thinking 7 more.

a ten year deal.

year 10 was in Bloomington.

9 was in LOS.

1 year has a conflict not sure which one lets call that one year 8.

7 more years at LOS.

should USE BLOOMINGTON instead.

The INDY area and city are GREAT.

the warm up area was very far away

seating was good but everybody was so far apart.

and the sound was terrible.

Nope.... it's a 10 year deal over an 11 year span. That one year hiatus won't count. 2018 is the last year scheduled for LOS. 2010-2018 = 9 years - 1 year = 8 more years.

2014 is the year off. There is a religious convention already booked for that weekend. BTW, did anybody notice that there was also baseball (AAA Indians) games on qtrs/semis nights, a convention, and the Women of Faith convention at Conseco Fieldhouse going on at the same time in downtown Indy? I love the post that first few days that said that outside of the museums, the zoo, the restaurants and bars, the mall (all within walking distance), and the Speedway HOF Museum and State Fair a few miles away. there was just nothing to do in Indy. What do you want, a full circus trotted into your honeymoon suite at the Motel 6?

It's the first year..... let's not throw out the baby with the bathwater. Fix the problem.

LMAO :sarcasm::worthy:

For real. I guess Disney was a nice plus for Orlando, but everybody hates that place. Hmm who knows, drumcorps fans are never pleased. There's a helluva lot more to do in Indy than in Madison, that's for sure.

From what I have been told from professional musicians that do all types of gigs in and around that area... LOS is horrible for sound even with the roof open. When discussing DCI being their one of them said: I hope they might be willing to take a loss and get out of their because it is just a horrible place for sound and acoustics for all types of events. Don't count on DCI doing that. Once again, while they may not have known specifically how bad LOS would be for sound overall they knew quite well that the competition would be an inside event and planned it that way.

...BTW.....how many rainouts were there this season? I agree with the luck post. While I've been to Finals with beautiful weather in Bloomington, Denver, Pasadena, and Madison.....August in any and all of those could just as well have been stifling hot or monsoon rains.

It seemed this year had a lot more rainouts than usual.

I remember being at the headquarters hotel the day after one of the DCI World Championships in Kansas City when it was an absolute deluge outside...for hours. A few hours earlier and the show would not have gotten in. And with all those flights booked for Sunday morning, I don't know if the show could have been delayed until the next day. There just aren't rain delay options on the last day of the season and for years and years and years we have been extremely lucky.

2014 is the year off. There is a religious convention already booked for that weekend. BTW, did anybody notice that there was also baseball (AAA Indians) games on qtrs/semis nights, a convention, and the Women of Faith convention at Conseco Fieldhouse going on at the same time in downtown Indy?

Indy seems big enough to absorb multiple events. I wasn't aware of any of that.

I love the post that first few days that said that outside of the museums, the zoo, the restaurants and bars, the mall (all within walking distance), and the Speedway HOF Museum and State Fair a few miles away. there was just nothing to do in Indy. What do you want, a full circus trotted into your honeymoon suite at the Motel 6?

:shutup::thumbup::worthy::sleeping::worthy:

You're right. There's NOTHING to do in Indy.

Someone told me a some time back that they thought they wouldn't enjoy going to Indy like they enjoyed Madison because they thought there no tourist destinations. I asked them if they visited House on the Rock or the Wisconsin Dells, both within an hour from Madison. They said, "No." I mentioned those were the number one and two tourist destinations in the State of Wisconsin. I then asked them what they did during their free time and they mentioned they mostly went to see corps rehearse. I then asked, "You can't do that in Indy?"

Hey, going to see the meerkat exhibit at the zoo is not a one-time deal. Those things are just way too cute to see just once. They remind me of the smiles I see on peoples' faces when they see me. :)

Somehow, I suspect things are being addressed and will be addressed for quite some months. The powers that be don't live in a vacuum.