SCV 2009 vs Cadets 1987

SCV 2009 vs Cadets 1987  

193 members have voted

1. 1. Which is better

• SCV 2009
    • Cadets 1987

87 Cadets, and it isn't close, really. I too am surprised the race is so tight in this poll.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*** DISCLAIMER: This comment is in no way meant to be taking a position on the OP's question of which one was "better". I'm staying out of that argument because I feel it is pointless to compare the two. ***

----------------

Abbevillekid26,

Unfortunately, unless you have seen 87 Garfield from a High Camera angle video (which is very difficult to get your hands on, and impossible through DCI or the Fan Network) you are just not getting all the "info" you need to truly form an opinion of it. (And I would say this whether or not SCV did "Ballet for Martha" in 2009). This is not your fault. I know you are using the only option you have to evaluate that show. But you can't truly appreciate the visual masterpiece of Zingali's drill from the multi-cam mix.

For that matter, anyone who tries to size-up 87 Garfield using only the multi-cam video is at a severe disadvantage.

I did not know that, that is a shame. The legacy DVD is multicam as well?

I did not know that, that is a shame. The legacy DVD is multicam as well?

You have jump forward to 2000 before you can purchase a DVD from DCI that contains the Hi Camera angle as an option.

You are right. It really is a shame.

You know, the guard caption has changed so much over the years that I've had a hard time keeping up. Back in my day, the guard was given a score as a subcaption of GE, but I'm not sure how it was being done in '87. Here's what our recap looked like in '78 (my handwritten notes from the recap sheet):

In '87 it was a separate 120 point caption. I don't know why it was 120 points or who judged it, but the numbers were listed on the recap AFTER the total score. I'm so glad DCI finally figured out how to judge that caption legitimately.

You know I am actually a little surprised by this polls' results. Very interesting stuff! :worthy:

I'm not surprised at all...I'd bet a huge portion of those voting for SCV didn't see 87 Garfield live...the recordings from the 80's were kinda ehh, so the people are going with what they know.

87 garfield ftw

somebody knows a dirty little secret :worthy: haha :sleeping:

Just plug in "Garfield cadets 87 prelims" at that site that must not be named...someone cobbled together a split screen...one part is from finals (multicam) and the other is prelims. Music is from finals.

Interestingly, the tempo gets off a little near the end...not tempo so much as the 2nd half started a little later on finals night....by the time you get to the famous company front, the prelims vid is off of the finals one by a couple of seconds.

Just plug in "Garfield cadets 87 prelims" at that site that must not be named...someone cobbled together a split screen...one part is from finals (multicam) and the other is prelims. Music is from finals.

Interestingly, the tempo gets off a little near the end...not tempo so much as the 2nd half started a little later on finals night....by the time you get to the famous company front, the prelims vid is off of the finals one by a couple of seconds.

ahahahahaha, wow, on the related video thing for that, the first one was the bj girl video, wtf :worthy:

I'm not surprised at all...I'd bet a huge portion of those voting for SCV didn't see 87 Garfield live...the recordings from the 80's were kinda ehh, so the people are going with what they know.

87 garfield ftw

Well, by that same logic, it would stand to reason that most people are voting '87 Garfield because that is what they know (after all, it hasn't even been a year since '09 SCV hit the field). I don't think that is the case though. Both were great shows, for different reasons. Seeing it live (which I did) or going by recordings, I'd still give a slight nod to '09 SCV.

Now, I'll agree the recordings from the 80's could be better, but I don't think that's somehow benefiting SCV in the majority of these votes it. Trying to make such a claim just seems as way to try and provide more validity to your opinion than others. It's simply just that, an opinion. Some people prefer '09 SCV to '87 Garfield, and vice versa. I don't find that so hard to believe.

Edited by dcsnare93