How will Madison do in 2010 and 2011?

How will Madison do in 2010 and 2011?  

226 members have voted

1. 1. Where will Madison finish in 2010?

• 1st - 3rd
    • 4th - 6th
    • 7th - 9th
    • 10th - 12th
    • 13th - 15th
    • 16th or lower
  2. 2. Where will Madison finish in 2011?

• 1st - 3rd
    • 4th - 6th
    • 7th - 9th
    • 10th - 12th
    • 13th - 15th
    • 16th or lower

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And I think you are kidding yourself if you think a prospective member would choose a corps because they MIGHT have a break out year and squeak back into the Saturday night show, over a corps that consistently places in the top 5.

Yes, it could be a risk. But the greater the risk, the greater the reward. That is for the prospective members to decide.

I think you're underestimating the draw of talented members to big-named staffs, the ability for knowledgeable staff to shape talent, and how much a competitive show design can make a huge difference. I would also add the underestimation of the support, loyalty, and love the drum corps community has for the Madison. Plus, many knowledgeable veterans switch corps to move up or if they weren't happy with their staff.

This eligible drum corps generation is more wired and informed than ever. I remember in 1998 (only 11 years ago when I marched) how cut off from the world we were with communication (some parents would print off reviews and newspaper clippings of our performances and mail them to us on the road). All these kids have iphones, blackberrys, and access to the web/e-mail on the bus (right after performances) and I'm sure they are quite aware of all the buzz in these forums and the announcements from Madison Scouts News website (with new staff biographies).

But who wouldn't want to be on the ground floor of a break-out year? A return to glory? To say "I marched the year that Madison rose up from the ashes like a mighty phoenix." I think you're kidding yourself if you think "talented" kids won't want to march Scouts because of their previous year. New staff, new year; fresh start.

I think you're seriously overestimating how well-informed prospective members are. And I say that because I've been at auditions for world class drum corps for the past four years and met and spoken with these prospective members. The population on DCP is not representative of the entire population that knows about (or marches) drum corps. I guarantee if I asked the other 149 people in the corps I marched last year if they knew who Jim Mason, etc. were less than 20% would know it.

I also think you're seriously overestimating how much the "love of the drum corps community" has to do with what kind of members a corps draws. I understand people love the Madison Scouts. Hell, I love the Madison Scouts (of the 80s and 90s). That doesn't mean they're going to get hugely talented members. Like I said, the majority of people auditioning for corps are pretty unaware.

And I really think you're kidding yourself if you think a whole bunch of people are going to jump ship from top 6 corps to march Madison this year. When people jump ship to lower corps it's usually to follow a staff member they particularly liked. While the staff at Madison has a great reputation, they don't (with the exception of DVD, who is to my understanding still going to be working at Blue Stars and Crown) have a personal rapport with any current marching members. You might see more people jumping ship if Madison has a breakout year in 2010, but I don't think it's going to work that way right away.

There's no two ways about it - this will be a good move in the long-term for Madison. Whether that translates to immediate and dramatic success in 2010 is another matter.

Edited by TSRTS13

I've gotta agree with TSRTS13. Of my friends who want to audition for corps this year only 1 of them has considered the Madison Scouts and that's cause of how they were in the 80s and 90s, not because of these staff hirings. Most of the people I know who are familiar with drum corps haven't heard of DCP or think it's all bitter dinosaurs.

Regardless I'm still hopefully going to audition at Madison this year.

Most of the people I know who are familiar with drum corps haven't heard of DCP or think it's all bitter dinosaurs.

I have had similar experiences. A lot of rookies have no idea what DCP is, a lot of vets know what it is and either have no use for it, or just lurk on here every so often. A very small number post on here with any regularity, especially in the on-topic forums. Most that do post post more in the offtopic forums.

Im in the small minority that was on DCP before i knew what drum corps was (i came over from marchingbandplanet.com), and ended up being convinced to come to the corps i ended up at by 2 members who posted on here at the time.

Most of the people who know who these staff members are will be vets, not rookies.. and if theyre considering jumping corps, madison is a bit of a risk, at least in 2010. If madison has the improvement i bet we'll see... then you might see some jumping for 2011. Often a lot of the corps jumping when a new staff comes in is members that are following staff... but most of these new staff arent coming from other corps.

Edited by alarson83

I'm very interested to see HOW Johnny V and Jimmer's books hold against more contemporary designers. These guys are the best of the best, but have not driven the bus in WC for a while!

(They stopped driving buses and started flying jets..)

Staff is part of the equation.... In this case a HUGE part....

Amazingly talented members are also needed...a great staff will help to bring in great talent...(I thought the members this year were talented!!)

I voted 7-9 = 2010 and 1-3 = 2011. Maybe wishful thinking, but come on....its Madison with a dream team staff!

And to all those who are saying that these guys have been "out of the game" for too long.... just wait....Madison 2010 will be truly amazing. I'll bet on it!~

Go Scouts!

• 11 months later...

OK, guys. I started this poll (which is now closed for voting) about the time Madison completed the staff changes for this year. It looks like the voting public was about right on this.

Find your name, find your posts, and feel free to gloat that you were right. But nobody who voted 13-15 is allowed to say "See, I told you the scouts were going to make finals!"

All-in-all, this was a very good turn-around for the Scouts.

Maybe I'll bring this back next year too.