How will Madison do in 2010 and 2011?

How will Madison do in 2010 and 2011?  

226 members have voted

1. 1. Where will Madison finish in 2010?

• 1st - 3rd
    • 4th - 6th
    • 7th - 9th
    • 10th - 12th
    • 13th - 15th
    • 16th or lower
  2. 2. Where will Madison finish in 2011?

• 1st - 3rd
    • 4th - 6th
    • 7th - 9th
    • 10th - 12th
    • 13th - 15th
    • 16th or lower

***Time to check your voting from a poll that was released when Madison was still announcing staff changes. Here's the original post***

OK, DCP folks. There is a lot of talk about the forthcoming improvement of the Madison Scouts with the dream team they have assembled in the leadership. Some say they will be much better quickly (after 1000 people show up for auditions), and some say don't hold your breath for a quick turnaround. So, what do you think? How will they do in 2010 and 2011?

***This is a statement after the 2009 contest***

A note about predictions: Let's remember that the DCP community just had a prediction contest. We, the experts (cough, cough) were asked to predict the order of the top 12. The deadline? Entries had to be submitted by the morning of QUARTER FINALS! We already knew that Phantom was tanking it and that Crown was pretty good. And even so, only one - that's right one person - managed to get the top seven correct.

So, on with the "predictions are meaningless"..."they haven't even had the first audition yet"...blah blah blah. We aren't that accurate anyway.

I think it will be fun to see what everybody predicts.

And by the way, the 2012 poll will NOT include a selection for touring the country with the Canadian Brass.

Edited by Dr.Mickey

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my bet:

10-12 in 10

if they do that, they have a shot at 7-9 in 11

A lot depends on the competitive environment than just what madison is doing. Look at Blue Stars and Boston. Both had much, much better shows in 09 than 08. Blue Stars placed the same with a much improved show. Phantom was in that 7-9, and you know odds are that wont stay the same for long. If both BS and BAC keep stepping it up, and phantom gets back to normal in 2010 and 2011, itll make it that much harder to crack into that.

Me too Ohio......except for the double post...and, well i aged out a long time ago. but I voted the same!

Mike

Spartans '87

The Foundation Year

So who voted "1st to 3rd" for next year, 2010? I would claim it, if I were you. Because if that turns out to be true, you will have lifetime bragging rights on DCP :thumbup:

So who voted "1st to 3rd" for next year, 2010? I would claim it, if I were you. Because if that turns out to be true, you will have lifetime bragging rights on DCP :thumbup:

Not I. I may be a Scouts homer, but I do try (read: try) to be somewhat realistic with a slight optimistic edge. I voted 7-9 and 4-6 respectively. :thumbup:

Raise your hands if you are not overhyping placements based on the recent series of announcements.

<raises hands>

2010 - 10th through 12th

2011 - same

Here's where I think the top 12 are vulnerable...the last two to three spots.

Troopers will have to prove they aren't the recent of several corps to snag the 12 spot.

Colts have to prove they have what it takes to get back.

Madison is now a step ahead of both these corps in my mind.

Now..Glassmen? The new battle with the old director....could be interesting. I haven't been overly impressed with Glassmen over the past two seasons. They could take a tumble.

Now past that...tough. See, as good as the talented staff is going to be...these guys are too old to march and play the show for the members. And that will be the key. Recruitment will be the key....especially in the lower brass and guard areas. The corps from 9 - 1 currently consistently get a decent to excellent supply of talent. Madison still needs to prove they are a perennial finalist again.

I said 7-9 and 4-6, mainly for two reasons:

1. They didn't just pick up highly-qualified staff, they picked up highly-qualified staff that have worked together as a team for decades. That eliminates a learning curve on relationships and allows them to hit the ground running.

2. This team has 15 years experience producing drum corps-style shows in indoor venues. While they've sometimes had set theaters for extended runs (London and Broadway), their various shows have more often toured all over the world in a wide variety of performance spaces. That had to have led to a lot of knowledge about how to plan for odd sound variances, echoes, maximum impact, etc. Even though the shows are smaller scale events than a full 150-member corps, it may prove to be a key advantage when it comes to the regionals and Championships.

Now getting beyond 4th, well I don't see anyone who would be happy to move out of the way for them, so that will be a bloodbath as the new threat in the rearview mirror keeps everyone on their toes.