2009 DCA Finals Show - Live Thread

I have to agree - I've marched "top 12", taught "top 17" World Class drum corps, won DCA as a member and taught a DCA finalist.

There is no comparison -no DCA corps could ever hope to make top 12 - maybe (and that's a strong maybe) they could take 17th - but the demand, design and execution in DCI corps is simply a notch above. You can't take a weekend only corps and compare it to a fully touring rehearse every day corps.

Although DCA members do have the experience necessary to pull it together quicker - consessions are also made as to the design difficulty to accomodate weekend only rehearsals.

So, no - a top DCA corps would never make top 12 in DCI.

Later,

Mike

Whats even more absurd is a top 12 or 15 DCI corps touring like said, practice 24/7 and still cant perfect their programs.....go figure

• Replies 920
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How different are they? HERE's how different..........

........You can't have the Bucs "peak" show coincide with DCI Finals. You can't keep the Blue Devils (or Troopers) "peak" show continue and come east three or four weeks later.

Everyone talks about Bucs attending the DCI final weekend. What about BD bring their chairs to a DCA show with DCA sheets? THEY ARE DIFFERENT !

There is no reason and (thank goodness for DCI/DCA finals being almost a full month apart) no WAY to compare them.

Let's appreciate all-age-weekend-only drum corps vs. DCI for what they are. I personally prefer DCA (unless Cabs move to DCI)..I LOVE Alumni.........I LOVE mini-corps

But, most importantly, let's also appreciate people like George Hopkins (with whom I NEVER agree), Tommy Maiello, David Gibbs, Bruno Zuccala and the like for what they do.....provide a unique experience for the FINEST youth of North America while managing to keep them safe and healthy during these times of social and economic instability.

What DCA and DCI and corps leadership do is what is best about what is left of the values of our society.

Joe in NJ

Piprt wrote:

"I loved the Buccs show this year and they deserved their 5th straight title but they are not capable of competing in DCI World Class."

So I am to take it that the Buc's would NOT be able to beat:

Cascade - Pioneer - Jersey Surf - Pacific Crest - Mandarins - Spirit - Crossmen !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! let alone anyone above that.

I am NOT a Buc's fan. BUT, I do see the Quality they put out. Just as I see the Quality that DCI has. I just do not like it.

(I am a Empire/Renagades/Kilties Fan.)

:devil: Whoa, wait a nanosecond. I don't know who "Piprt" is, but if you're referring to "Piper" as in me I definately did not make that statement. Sorry, but I had to put that disclaimer in there. :devil:

Today is Ground Hogs' Day for me - tomorrow school starts and I won't let myself spend time on DCP, or anywhere else until May. Happens each year for the past 3. Haven't watched a TV show since April '07 unless I was flying on JetBlue. After today I won't see my shadow for 8 months.

Just wanted to say thanks to DCP for all the entertainment this summer. I loved yesterday's live thread, especially Jeff Demello's truly excellent video clips. i was hurting because I couldn't make the trip to Rochester with Bayonne because of issues at home, and seeing the joyful clip of their performance made me feel great.

I learned a lot on DCP this summer, some of it good, perhaps much of it. I did learn that I don't do well in exchanges with some posters. You'd think at 58 that would have been obvious by now, but...

Had a great time keeping up with old friends from many corps, for which I'm grateful. Also watching Strutta as he maps his course toward world domination... a little scary, perhaps, but ya gotta keep your eyes on these short Napoleanic types (same with Cossetti).

I was sad when I finally signed off last night, not because one of my old groups (whom I admittedly love wholeheartedly and unabashedly) did not place as well as hoped (I know they can take that - they have a great organization with terrific people from top to bottom) but because one of my former Hurc compatriots (whom I like) saw fit to start to demean Empire in the heat of the moment. My sense is that that just stirs up crap between the two corps, which is totally unnecessary. Pepe brought a lot of the Hurcc mystique to Empire in the 80s (same mystique he brought to Hurcs, to be more accurate) and there are vast similarities between these corps - they shouldn't be opposed in any way except competitively.

But we're all adults and the season's done and it was a great one. I'm grateful for the opportunity to work with Bayonne as often as I did - really brought back some memories and put me in touch with what's now another great Bridgemen corps.

Congratulations to Hurcs, Sun for making it back - I hope for good, Archie whom I love dearly - and the many corps I loved to compete against in the day, and for whom I have so much respect.

I look forward to the BHoF I&E shows this Winter and Spring, and hope many of you make it up to the one in Boston. you're all invited to my house, if you can find it (Obviously I'm not giving you the address. My wife would kill me).

Always did love this activity - DCP helped me remember just how much this year. Thanks.

I am a bit confused as to why it is important for the Bucs to be compared to DCI level corps or for that matter why is there a need to taint any of their accomplishments or any of the accomplishments of the other DCA membership as a whole...... Because if you tear down the best, you are also beating down the rest. .

Basically Speaking, the Buccaneers are a class organization. The hornline, the percussion and the guard sections of the corps are made up of the greatest individuals anywhere in the activity. Their talented staff plans and communicates with each other on a regular basis. The support staff is second to none. ..........and here is the point a great deal of you are missing - The corps works EXTREMELY hard as to not offend or judge another corps, organization, show concept, approach/design or performance. The staff, the membership and the support staff also have a great many friends, family and students who march in the other corps as well. They, like most others in the DCA activity, are also really nice and friendly people.

So...., why is there a need to taint their accomplishments? My son had a great first season with these outstanding people this season and wouldn't change it for the world.

The corps accomplished a great deal this year. This weekend the corps was on a rollercoaster ride of emotions. They performed an entertaining and emotionally charged performance at Finals and were rewarded for it. DCI vs DCA comparisons are really not needed and not appropriate.

I too have taught and written for DCI and DCA and feel strongly both circuits have their merits. To compare apples to oranges is an age old argument. What if the DCI crowd (staff and membership) had the same minimal rehearsal schedule as DCA? What would happen if the reverse were true of DCA? No one would know for sure.

All of the corps were excellent this season and DCA is a Great circuit. No need to tarnish any corps or the DCA circuit -.

Great job Bucs and to the Captain of the Buccaneers - Jimmie Gruber - Thanks for a memorable season. Thank you Buccaneers for educating my son in the ways of the pirate - ha!

Ed Otto

O.K. first of all the drill was way to dirty for DCI Finals standards. I dont believe the hornline was clean enough for DCI Finals standards, plus the Guards drill was not complicated enought for DCI Finals standards.

Look I know your a Bucs fan and I believed that the Bucs deserved to win, however there score was inflated.

Plus there DCA Finals show would not have made the top 15 at DCI Finals.

But, most importantly, let's also appreciate people like George Hopkins (with whom I NEVER agree), Tommy Maiello, David Gibbs, Bruno Zuccala and the like for what they do.....provide a unique experience for the FINEST youth of North America while managing to keep them safe and healthy during these times of social and economic instability.

What DCA and DCI and corps leadership do is what is best about what is left of the values of our society.

Joe in NJ

Truer statements I have never heard! Agree 1000% and of course the same appreciation holds true for every all age corps North ,South ,East and West including my faves in Canada, and their Directors and instructional staff and volunteers that provide the same unique experience...and also manage to keep the youth involved in All Age safe and healthy..Kudos to you all!! :devil:

I've been lableled a dinosaur. Just call me "Bronto". :)

Is that why they've been calling me Rex.

I care about the future of the sport but i'm glad I'm retired. :devil:

How rediculous to compare the DCA Champs to DCI finalists. There is no comparison, for sure. Buccs deserved the win , no doubt, but you don't see a DCI finalist with 5 people out of step coming to a company front or a whole baritone section screwing up during the drum solo.

For a DCA corp they were the best, but DCI finalist....NOT.

Lets also consider that DCA corps are weekend corps. Hmm, wonder what they could do against the Jrs if they had a similar rehearsal schedule. So your right you cant compare given the amount of time JRs get to rehearse verses the talent Sr's need to achieve what they do in a weekend. Ask yourself, how good would Devils, SCV, HNC, Cavies be if they only rehearsed weekends and worked 40 hour weeks going into the weekend.

Marching Jr. Corps is a full time job! If Sr. Corps had that same amount of rehearsal time you bet they would shake things up and no doubt be very competitive against DCI corps.

The fact is they are two totally different circuits and both have great corps! So can we stop trying to analyze whether or not a DCA corps would make DCI finals. IMO Reading, MBI and a few other Sr. corps were a lot more exciting and no where near the snooze some of the Jr's were from a programing stand point!

I love the activity no matter what form it comes in!

Congratulations Buccs and WTG MBI, I thought both were great performances!

Edited by Fan of D.C.

I am a bit confused as to why it is important for the Bucs to be compared to DCI level corps or for that matter why is there a need to taint any of their accomplishments or any of the accomplishments of the other DCA membership as a whole...... Because if you tear down the best, you are also beating down the rest. .

Basically Speaking, the Buccaneers are a class organization. The hornline, the percussion and the guard sections of the corps are made up of the greatest individuals anywhere in the activity. Their talented staff plans and communicates with each other on a regular basis. The support staff is second to none. ..........and here is the point a great deal of you are missing - The corps works EXTREMELY hard as to not offend or judge another corps, organization, show concept, approach/design or performance. The staff, the membership and the support staff also have a great many friends, family and students who march in the other corps as well. They, like most others in the DCA activity, are also really nice and friendly people.

So...., why is there a need to taint their accomplishments? My son had a great first season with these outstanding people this season and wouldn't change it for the world.

The corps accomplished a great deal this year. This weekend the corps was on a rollercoaster ride of emotions. They performed an entertaining and emotionally charged performance at Finals and were rewarded for it. DCI vs DCA comparisons are really not needed and not appropriate.

I too have taught and written for DCI and DCA and feel strongly both circuits have their merits. To compare apples to oranges is an age old argument. What if the DCI crowd (staff and membership) had the same minimal rehearsal schedule as DCA? What would happen if the reverse were true of DCA? No one would know for sure.

All of the corps were excellent this season and DCA is a Great circuit. No need to tarnish any corps or the DCA circuit -.

Great job Bucs and to the Captain of the Buccaneers - Jimmie Gruber - Thanks for a memorable season. Thank you Buccaneers for educating my son in the ways of the pirate - ha!

Ed Otto

:devil: :devil:

The Buccaneers have accomplished great things in DCA, they are a member of DCA not DCI so all of the speculation is moot. Let them enjoy what they have done.