2009 DCA Finals Show - Live Thread

I'm reading all these gripes about "arbitrary" numbers for scoring and "relative to....." So why not just use the current scoring system (WHICH IS FAIR) to help the judges PLACE each corps in a relative place in the show...... then have the tabulators convert the scores for each judge to ORDINALS.......then just announce the placements?

The ordinals being used for scoring would result in the same scores for each show from day one.

Unfortunately, this would not help a corps like the Bucs (who scored a "1" for the last five years) to compare themselves TO THEMSELVES..... or help any corps measure progress over a season or over the years.

Tom Peashy's response to the survey about changing the names of Open and Class A seems appropriate for the scoring system in place (at least for now)...."not broke...don't fix it."

DCA is so not broke that it SCREAMS for not fix!!!!

This was the best total show in "senior" drum corps history. I WANT MY DVDs NOW!!!!!!

Joe in NJ

• Replies 920
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks to all for your nice comments on my video clips! :devil:

Also, thanks to John Donovan for again putting together such a great team for DCA ... you guys are fun people! Each year is better than the last! :devil:

Next year I'm hoping to produce a live video feed of DCA Prelims / Alumni / Finals ... here's hoping!

Jeff, you did a tremendous job, as did the DCP staff. Live Feed for 2010. I would pay for that, and I would pay good money for that. Again, great job, and here's to next year.

Doug Smith

Thats great

Now youare telling me that The Bucs wer better than the Troopers?

O.K.

Well the video and sound quality are bad however I can alread tell you that this Troopers show from July 3, 2009 already has a better Music Book than The Bucs, plus there Drill is already (from what I can see) better than The Bucs.

<youtube link removed - please see our Media Policy -danielle>

I think the Bucc's earned the right to be treated with respect by simply saying it would be interesting to see how they fared with DCI judges. They have had a great run the last few seasons and took the field to be better and entertain with each and every show. Comparing apples and oranges only gets you pointed towards making a fruit salad missing a few nuts. Its the passion of the corps that drives us all. No reason to pull on heart strings there will be no final answer or posting that can real a happy ending.

It was good to see the Trooper return to DCI because of their efforts - the same for the Bucc' who earned all of their titles. Today is their day - Enjoy!!

Bumping this post for those of you looking for videos.

Here are direct links to the video clip from each corps at Finals!

Class A

Open Class

Star United Mini Corps

Star United

How rediculous to compare the DCA Champs to DCI finalists. There is no comparison, for sure. Buccs deserved the win , no doubt, but you don't see a DCI finalist with 5 people out of step coming to a company front or a whole baritone section screwing up during the drum solo.

For a DCA corp they were the best, but DCI finalist....NOT.

How rediculous to compare the DCA Champs to DCI finalists. There is no comparison, for sure. Buccs deserved the win , no doubt, but you don't see a DCI finalist with 5 people out of step coming to a company front or a whole baritone section screwing up during the drum solo.

For a DCA corp they were the best, but DCI finalist....NOT.

I have to agree - I've marched "top 12", taught "top 17" World Class drum corps, won DCA as a member and taught a DCA finalist.

There is no comparison -no DCA corps could ever hope to make top 12 - maybe (and that's a strong maybe) they could take 17th - but the demand, design and execution in DCI corps is simply a notch above. You can't take a weekend only corps and compare it to a fully touring rehearse every day corps.

Although DCA members do have the experience necessary to pull it together quicker - consessions are also made as to the design difficulty to accomodate weekend only rehearsals.

So, no - a top DCA corps would never make top 12 in DCI.

Later,

Mike

While I'm not going to take a side in this debate, I'll tell you about my personal experience.

Back when Drum Corps Midwest was operating, all the corps regardless of class - including the Jr and Sr corps - were on the same DCI sheets and judged by the same DCI judges using the same criteria. MBI often beat a couple of the top 12 junior corps in a few captions here and there over the years. I don't doubt the same would be true today with the better DCA corps and the 12th-17th DCI corps.

What's even more astounding is that the Bucs and MN Brass, for example, practice only one night a week, show days and a few camps. This is a part-time gig for them and look at how good they get! By contrast, the juniors practice all day and night for over two months - where drum corps is their life-focus!!

If these top-2 all-age corps did this thing full-time, rather than discussing them beating the Troopers, we'd be debating their product relative to the top-tier juniors.

It's incredible what the elite all-age corps accomplish relative to the time they devote.

Edited by Brassop

One of the things that surprised me was the jump that ES made from prelims to finals. I'm not trying to take anything away from them. I guess they were just hot.

Piprt wrote:

"I loved the Buccs show this year and they deserved their 5th straight title but they are not capable of competing in DCI World Class."

So I am to take it that the Buc's would NOT be able to beat:

Cascade - Pioneer - Jersey Surf - Pacific Crest - Mandarins - Spirit - Crossmen !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! let alone anyone above that.

I am NOT a Buc's fan. BUT, I do see the Quality they put out. Just as I see the Quality that DCI has. I just do not like it.

(I am a Empire/Renagades/Kilties Fan.)

This whole argument is redundant.

The Bucs show was quality, and they deserved to win.

However if The Bucs would have made DCI finals or not is like arguing "my daddy can beat up your daddy".

I just dont see the Bucs making the top 15 in DCI. There were feet issues in the Bucs that would have been deductions in DCI. There were some spacing issues that would have been deductions in DCI.

AGAIN AS I HAVE SAID BEFORE IN DCA THE BUCS SHOW WAS AMAZING.

However by DCI Standards, there show would not have made top 15...maybe 17-20, but not top 15.