2009 DCA Finals Show - Live Thread

Today is Ground Hogs' Day for me - tomorrow school starts and I won't let myself spend time on DCP, or anywhere else until May. Happens each year for the past 3. Haven't watched a TV show since April '07 unless I was flying on JetBlue. After today I won't see my shadow for 8 months.

Just wanted to say thanks to DCP for all the entertainment this summer. I loved yesterday's live thread, especially Jeff Demello's truly excellent video clips. i was hurting because I couldn't make the trip to Rochester with Bayonne because of issues at home, and seeing the joyful clip of their performance made me feel great.

I learned a lot on DCP this summer, some of it good, perhaps much of it. I did learn that I don't do well in exchanges with some posters. You'd think at 58 that would have been obvious by now, but...

Had a great time keeping up with old friends from many corps, for which I'm grateful. Also watching Strutta as he maps his course toward world domination... a little scary, perhaps, but ya gotta keep your eyes on these short Napoleanic types (same with Cossetti).

I was sad when I finally signed off last night, not because one of my old groups (whom I admittedly love wholeheartedly and unabashedly) did not place as well as hoped (I know they can take that - they have a great organization with terrific people from top to bottom) but because one of my former Hurc compatriots (whom I like) saw fit to start to demean Empire in the heat of the moment. My sense is that that just stirs up crap between the two corps, which is totally unnecessary. Pepe brought a lot of the Hurcc mystique to Empire in the 80s (same mystique he brought to Hurcs, to be more accurate) and there are vast similarities between these corps - they shouldn't be opposed in any way except competitively.

But we're all adults and the season's done and it was a great one. I'm grateful for the opportunity to work with Bayonne as often as I did - really brought back some memories and put me in touch with what's now another great Bridgemen corps.

Congratulations to Hurcs, Sun for making it back - I hope for good, Archie whom I love dearly - and the many corps I loved to compete against in the day, and for whom I have so much respect.

I look forward to the BHoF I&E shows this Winter and Spring, and hope many of you make it up to the one in Boston. you're all invited to my house, if you can find it (Obviously I'm not giving you the address. My wife would kill me).

Always did love this activity - DCP helped me remember just how much this year. Thanks.

Great post Ray.... :thumbup: Thanks for your input, I've enjoyed reading your posts. (always have) I hope you'll stop by occaisionally during the semester and let us know how it's going. (You kids in school, you know how we worry...LOL)

Give a hug to Carrie from Donna and I.... :tongue:

• Replies 920
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got home and was able to put together a panorama pic from retreat as seen from the press box! The original was 9100x2300 so this is the compressed smaller version :)

dcaretreat.jpg

THANKS Danielle!! (for this panoramic photo but especially the entire weekend!! :thumbup: )

Hey Robbie, MAKE "danny" post s o m e t h i n g.... LOL

By that comparitive standard the Colts would have beaten the Bucs. Sorry, but I don't think so.

I agree too, because - the Colts were better than the Troopers :thumbup:

When you take only part of my post it changes how it looks and reads.

I was stating that based on age the fact remains that a DCA corps could not compete or place in DCI World Class.

Sorry but it is fact that 18-21 year olds who have been practicing a show for 12 hours a day for 7 days a week over 5 weeks in spring will put on a better show then 18-65 year olds who practice weekends. Thats fact.

No

It

Is

Not

You are using the rehearsal time difference to automatically place Sr corps below the Jrs....flat out.

Unless you put all corps together at the same competition, with the same judging panel, and on the same sheets, your proposition is NOT a fact....a fact is something that has actually been observed to happen, not what you think might happen.

Today is Ground Hogs' Day for me - tomorrow school starts and I won't let myself spend time on DCP, or anywhere else until May. Happens each year for the past 3. Haven't watched a TV show since April '07 unless I was flying on JetBlue. After today I won't see my shadow for 8 months.

Just wanted to say thanks to DCP for all the entertainment this summer. I loved yesterday's live thread, especially Jeff Demello's truly excellent video clips. i was hurting because I couldn't make the trip to Rochester with Bayonne because of issues at home, and seeing the joyful clip of their performance made me feel great.

I learned a lot on DCP this summer, some of it good, perhaps much of it. I did learn that I don't do well in exchanges with some posters. You'd think at 58 that would have been obvious by now, but...

Had a great time keeping up with old friends from many corps, for which I'm grateful. Also watching Strutta as he maps his course toward world domination... a little scary, perhaps, but ya gotta keep your eyes on these short Napoleanic types (same with Cossetti).

I was sad when I finally signed off last night, not because one of my old groups (whom I admittedly love wholeheartedly and unabashedly) did not place as well as hoped (I know they can take that - they have a great organization with terrific people from top to bottom) but because one of my former Hurc compatriots (whom I like) saw fit to start to demean Empire in the heat of the moment. My sense is that that just stirs up crap between the two corps, which is totally unnecessary. Pepe brought a lot of the Hurcc mystique to Empire in the 80s (same mystique he brought to Hurcs, to be more accurate) and there are vast similarities between these corps - they shouldn't be opposed in any way except competitively.

But we're all adults and the season's done and it was a great one. I'm grateful for the opportunity to work with Bayonne as often as I did - really brought back some memories and put me in touch with what's now another great Bridgemen corps.

Congratulations to Hurcs, Sun for making it back - I hope for good, Archie whom I love dearly - and the many corps I loved to compete against in the day, and for whom I have so much respect.

I look forward to the BHoF I&E shows this Winter and Spring, and hope many of you make it up to the one in Boston. you're all invited to my house, if you can find it (Obviously I'm not giving you the address. My wife would kill me).

Always did love this activity - DCP helped me remember just how much this year. Thanks.

Easy now... the Mystique that Pepe brought to Empire in the 80's wasn't Hurcs Mystique, it was Old School Skyliner Mystique.

We ALL miss Pepe - but didn't you feel him (and Vince Bruni) in Boogie Woogie Bugle From Company G BUGLES?

Easy now... the Mystique that Pepe brought to Empire in the 80's wasn't Hurcs Mystique, it was Old School Skyliner Mystique.

We ALL miss Pepe - but didn't you feel him (and Vince Bruni) in Boogie Woogie Bugle From Company G BUGLES?

Gosh some of you guys are sensitive... :thumbup:

Whosever.

BTW nice job...

Edited by rayfallon

And to answer your last question - I think I feel folks like that, and Hy, and Joe, and Truman, and lots of guys and girls who are still with us but not out there in the activity any more, in every spectacular, fans to their feet production, whether it's you all, or Hurcs, or Bucs, or any of these amazing corps.

None of us own these folks. We were all lucky to have been in their presence.

I also think most of them would laugh at a lot of these "who's better than whom" arguments.

But we'll never know.

I would like to commend John Donovan and his DCP crew for a job well done... with special kudos to Jeff DeMello and Kevin Gamin...

It was not without is trials and tribulations as there were technical problems (caused by stadium supplied feeds) early on Saturday... but they overcame and did a GREAT job. Have been reliving the experience through the clips...

We also thank BVP Video and Gary Baker for allowing this to happen - now everyone line up to buy the fantastic 2009 DCA DVD's and CD's