2009 DCA Finals Show - Live Thread

• Replies 920
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got home and was able to put together a panorama pic from retreat as seen from the press box! The original was 9100x2300 so this is the compressed smaller version :)

dcaretreat.jpg

What a great picture. Thank-you!! :thumbup:

SORRY PIPER. Don't know how I got that messed up.

BUT.......... Here is WHO "I" was replying to.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Canuck DCGroupie @ Sep 7 2009, 12:38 AM)

Sorry but you are way off.

Buccs hornline, drumline or CG could not beat any DCI finalist this year in GE or music, yes its my opinion but it is also fact.

GE is made up from these elements of speed, accuracy/cleanliness of all sections as well as show design. Music(while marching) as well plays a big part in the GE. The average age of the Buccs just wouldn't allow this to happen. Not my opinion but fact.

"I loved the Buccs show this year and they deserved their 5th straight title but they are not capable of competing in DCI World Class."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As I said. I am NOT a Buc's Fan. Really do not like what they do. BUT, I DO see the Quality/Excelance of what they do. Why they win etc.

AND I hate to bust all you DCI types bubble. But I think they are FAR and away above.

Cascades, Pioneer, Jersey Surf, Pacific Crest, Mandarins, Spirit, Crossmen and maybe MORE. (Even as a what I call a "DCI Lite-Weekends Only" DCA group with NO Amp's,Electronic's, Mic's, Synths etc.)

I prefer what might be called "Old Style done in a NEW way". Like Empire, Renegades, Kilties or CorpsVets. I also liked a Class A group that made me think of the Bridgemen/VK style shows, by the Vigilanties of Texas.

congrats to everyone!!!!!!

I got home and was able to put together a panorama pic from retreat as seen from the press box! The original was 9100x2300 so this is the compressed smaller version :)

dcaretreat.jpg

thanks for the great picture. now i know everybody was able to see me clutching my nose during retreat.

No, it is not....as no DCI finalist has competed directly against Bucs at any show with the same judging panel and the same judging criteria.

Put THAT performance together and we can talk fact....until then, it's all conjecture.

When you take only part of my post it changes how it looks and reads.

I was stating that based on age the fact remains that a DCA corps could not compete or place in DCI World Class.

Sorry but it is fact that 18-21 year olds who have been practicing a show for 12 hours a day for 7 days a week over 5 weeks in spring will put on a better show then 18-65 year olds who practice weekends. Thats fact.

Again so nobody jumps me, I thought Buccs show this year was incredible for DCA and yes probably one of the best staged ever.

When you take only part of my post it changes how it looks and reads.

I was stating that based on age the fact remains that a DCA corps could not compete or place in DCI World Class.

Sorry but it is fact that 18-21 year olds who have been practicing a show for 12 hours a day for 7 days a week over 5 weeks in spring will put on a better show then 18-65 year olds who practice weekends. Thats fact.

Again so nobody jumps me, I thought Buccs show this year was incredible for DCA and yes probably one of the best staged ever.

That is opinion. Whether yours, mine, or the judges that score them.

SORRY PIPER. Don't know how I got that messed up.

BUT.......... Here is WHO "I" was replying to.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Canuck DCGroupie @ Sep 7 2009, 12:38 AM)

Sorry but you are way off.

Buccs hornline, drumline or CG could not beat any DCI finalist this year in GE or music, yes its my opinion but it is also fact.

GE is made up from these elements of speed, accuracy/cleanliness of all sections as well as show design. Music(while marching) as well plays a big part in the GE. The average age of the Buccs just wouldn't allow this to happen. Not my opinion but fact.

"I loved the Buccs show this year and they deserved their 5th straight title but they are not capable of competing in DCI World Class."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

As I said. I am NOT a Buc's Fan. Really do not like what they do. BUT, I DO see the Quality/Excelance of what they do. Why they win etc.

AND I hate to bust all you DCI types bubble. But I think they are FAR and away above.

Cascades, Pioneer, Jersey Surf, Pacific Crest, Mandarins, Spirit, Crossmen and maybe MORE. (Even as a what I call a "DCI Lite-Weekends Only" DCA group with NO Amp's,Electronic's, Mic's, Synths etc.)

I prefer what might be called "Old Style done in a NEW way". Like Empire, Renegades, Kilties or CorpsVets. I also liked a Class A group that made me think of the Bridgemen/VK style shows, by the Vigilanties of Texas.

As I said, I loved Buccs this year. I have been an Empire fan for a long time for the record.

I do agree with you but I believe the discussion has been regarding DCI Finalists. Could Buccs beat one of the corps you list, maybe. Most of those you listed are corps that don't have a full time schedule like the top 12-15. Some do but not sure which ones. I am talking about DCI finalists only as the original poster to this side discussion stated.

I guess you are referring me to as a DCI type but you are wrong. This year I attended 6 DCA shows and 5 DCI shows including both finals (DCI and DCA) and am friends with current and alumni in Empire, Grennies and Crusaders.

Thanks to all for your nice comments on my video clips! :thumbup:

Also, thanks to John Donovan for again putting together such a great team for DCA ... you guys are fun people! Each year is better than the last! :tongue:

THANK YOU Jeff!! GREAT video clips! :tongue:

Next year I'm hoping to produce a live video feed of DCA Prelims / Alumni / Finals ... here's hoping!

Man do we hope THAT happens! :tongue: