As a band director or corps staff member

I encourage kids I think can cut it in a corps. I'm honest with them in their current abilities and what they need to get better at. I rarely come across a kid that "has is made" already. I'm honest with the kids who are interested. I tell them the odds and what most corps expect at auditions. I have kids who switch from woodwinds to brass and how to adjust to a new instrument, the odds of making it on a particular instrument.

don't "blow sunshine up their #####" please. Nothing is worse than a kids stepping into audition weekend thinking they are the shizz and then they get cut because you weren't honest about their poor technique with articulations or something like that. You know how honest corps staff is going to be with the kid so you really shouldn't be much different.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When you have a student who is not likely to make their "dream" corps, how do handle this? Do you feel it is best to tell them they aren't likely to succeed, and save them alot of audition/camp fees, or do you encourage them to go for it?

As a band director, I always encourage my students to go out for corps. The musical rewards last a lifetime, and the experiences are amazing. However, once in awhile you'll get a student of a little less than average musical talent, and they think they are going to be able to just walk in and make the cut for Cavaliers, or Blue Devils, or Cadets.

I was wondering how other band directors handle these situations.

I’d encourage them to go for the experience. Yes, they are going to see a lot of phenomenal talent there, but that exposure is good. That will show them what they need to do to get improve, and could be inspiring too. I remember when I was younger and didn’t make the drum corps that I wanted because I didn’t have the chops yet, but I just kept practicing, working hard, and never never gave up. I never marched with that first drum corps that I wanted to march with, but I marched with a BETTER one!

For horn players, I'm not sure I'd trust most band directors to make the decision! The fact is, there are lots of kids who never succeed on their instruments UNTIL they try out for drum corps! (Where they learn the proper way to breath, relax and blow.) I've seen many kids show up on Day One of Camp One, and I think "They'll never make it." Then by the end of camp, I'm like "OMG, that kid improved 1000X!"

There's lots of bad band directing out there...

So...if you're a band director, your #1 message to all kids should be: Shoot for the stars.

Don't worry about their talent. Don't worry about anything...just teach the kid to go for it, work hard, and take it all in. At the very least, even if the kid doesn't make it to the "dream corps," they'll come back a much better player, with good information. Encourage them to try out for Corps #2, whoever that is, maybe the corps closest to home.

For horn players, I'm not sure I'd trust most band directors to make the decision! The fact is, there are lots of kids who never succeed on their instruments UNTIL they try out for drum corps! (Where they learn the proper way to breath, relax and blow.) I've seen many kids show up on Day One of Camp One, and I think "They'll never make it." Then by the end of camp, I'm like "OMG, that kid improved 1000X!"

There's lots of bad band directing out there...

So...if you're a band director, your #1 message to all kids should be: Shoot for the stars.

Don't worry about their talent. Don't worry about anything...just teach the kid to go for it, work hard, and take it all in. At the very least, even if the kid doesn't make it to the "dream corps," they'll come back a much better player, with good information. Encourage them to try out for Corps #2, whoever that is, maybe the corps closest to home.

Yes, I agree 150%!

One thing I didn't see mentioned in any of the replies thus far is the "plan".

Auditions for ANY ensemble can be a learning experience. If you have a kid who has never auditioned for anything, encourage that student to audition for a regional or all-state band or orchestra. The audition experience will have a humbling effect unless the kid has too big of a ego, then it will be just a matter of time until the proverbial "crash and burn".

If the student does well in that audition, the next audition might be for a non-top 5 corps. I'd encourage getting some experience before going to "the big boys and girls".

Like someone already said, lots of kids think they're big fish until they meet the guys in the next pond.

Having worn both hats...band director and Brass Caption Head/ Staff member...

If one of my band students says that they want to audition for say, Crown. Well, we live in Denver, there are two fine organization right here. I would explain the COST involved in just auditioning, travel, fees, etc. COST and geographic location should be a consideration. If the kid as unlimited resources, game on...however these days who really can do that, very few. If kid wants to go in that direction, I would want to speak to the parents and the student, let them know what the expectations are and answer whatever questions they might have.

Sure, aim high, go audition where you want. But, certainly the COST involved is a very significant factor to consider.

Either way, I think anyone who auditions for any drum corps for the first time is in for an awakening and a interesting experience.

Like someone already said, lots of kids think they're big fish until they meet the guys in the next pond.

And that's part of the learning process too.

Well, im not a director, but I want to be one and my directors have encouraged me, the head one having marched for UT the other assistant having marched for the troopers and wrote a bit of drill for them, at times theyve told me about what its like to march (our marching tech marched for 08 phantom) and ive talked to these 2 and theyve said that your marching is all dependent on how seriously you take yourself on the practice field and your music is as good as you practice basically, and your marching and music come together with hard work on the practice field, basically I assumed it ment work as hard as you can in all areas and you will be rewarded (atleast for some anyways) but ill be about 20 or 21 by the time I save up money to march so they just told me to never quit working hard even after high school, and to keep your eye on the prize for your efforts will pay off, thats what ive learned, I went from always being yelled at for music and marching by everyone my freshman year and constantly put down, when I saw dci I saw that there was something more, now its my junior year, and im one of the lead players and im the section leader for our 20 man trumpet section. Just saying that if you tell someone how it is and tell them how to do it and say you believe in them, then they will succeed in many areas, I had only about 3 people out of the band thinking I could get better and those 3 made a difference

When I first auditioned I didn't mention it to my band directors until after I was offered a spot.

When you have a student who is not likely to make their "dream" corps, how do handle this? Do you feel it is best to tell them they aren't likely to succeed, and save them alot of audition/camp fees, or do you encourage them to go for it?

As a band director, I always encourage my students to go out for corps. The musical rewards last a lifetime, and the experiences are amazing. However, once in awhile you'll get a student of a little less than average musical talent, and they think they are going to be able to just walk in and make the cut for Cavaliers, or Blue Devils, or Cadets.

I was wondering how other band directors handle these situations.

Sometimes the best thing that can happen, ironically, is when someone tries out the first time and doesn't make it, or even come close. It may help them to realize where they are really at, and maybe set their immediate sights more realistically. Kids with real drive and ambition will work hard to improve. In this activity, there is a level/room for everybody.

GB