1. 1. When will Madison go Bb?

• In 5 Years
    • In 10 Years
    • NEVER!

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing I've learned is that change (especially in drum corps) is inevitable. It's my guess that Scouts will change to non G instruments in time. They will probably resist as long as it's practical to do so. At some point they will be in a position when "fighting the good fight" of resisting change will just not mean that much anymore and they will reluctantly make the switch.

At MSU we had an E flat cornet line. Since there were no flutes piccolos or clarinets (but there were saxophones) the top 8 trumpet chairs got to play on E-flat's. It did cut throught the ensemble quite a bit. Too bad they got rid of the EEPHS as we called it. We always had fun with those horns. I dont know if it would work though in DCI. Only one way to find out.

• 4 weeks later...
It won't happen as long as Scott and those who are like minded are there.  The only thing that could make them switch is if DEG and Kanstul quit making G's altogether and their horns were beyond repair.

It would take an entirely new regime here, I don't see that happening, fortunately, for at least 10 years if not longer.

he just took the words out of my mouth ^:)

mine too

• 4 weeks later...

I think that the top trumpet players in the corps should play on E-flat horns. It would make some high range playing a bit easier. I bet YAMAHA could make an e-flat trumpet that could do some serious damage.

British style brass bands have been pitched in Eb/Bb for more than a hundred fifty years. They have evolved over the years to what works best. Intonation is no more a problem of the instrument for them as the responsibility of the players to get it right. The Bb/F tuning is not a problem. It will make for better intonation, actually. Kids learn to play on Bb and F instruments in HS bands. I like this.

yes, that is true, but takes away from the distinction of Drum and BUGLE (G) corps.......oh well, life goes on!!!!

• 2 months later...