When will Madison go Bb?

BadAzzMelloGrl

91 members have voted

1. 1. When will Madison go Bb?

• In 5 Years
    • In 10 Years
    • NEVER!

yes, that is true, but takes away from the distinction of Drum and BUGLE (G) corps.......oh well, life goes on!!!!

The term "bugle" has never been defined by the key of the horn.

As evidenced by the use of Bb BUGLES in Canadian drum and BUGLE corps in the past.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since there will be new directorship in Madison now with the departure of Scott, depending on who they hire and his/her views on the subject, I would say this:

If they get someone who wants to be competative and get back not only into finals but top 6 calibar, then I would now say 2003

If they get a traditionalist, well hopefully it will be someone who will propell them back into finals on G..so a few years maybe

I don't buy the argument that you have to play Bb/F horns to be competitive. What I think is that the corps that were already on top got big-time sponsorship from the manufacturers to make the switch, if they so desired.

The question, though, is whether or not the corps themselves buy the argument. Since Bb's inception in 2000, a Bb corps has won every year (Cadets 2000, Cavies 2001, 2002). Of course, that isn't necessarily due to the key of the horn, but some might perceive it that way, especially if those with Bb horns are getting better horn scores than when they were on G.

hehe ... yeah, there probably is that perception among some corps. But it's not like Cadets, Cavaliers, and Blue Devils were exactly terrible before they made the switch. And PR did have a top-5 horn line this past season with G horns ... although they're switching for '03. Like I said, I doubt that switching to Bb/F made the corps better, it's just that the most competitively successful corps were the first to switch.

The question, though, is whether or not the corps themselves buy the argument. Since Bb's inception in 2000, a Bb corps has won every year (Cadets 2000, Cavies 2001, 2002). Of course, that isn't necessarily due to the key of the horn, but some might perceive it that way, especially if those with Bb horns are getting better horn scores than when they were on G.

Kevin,

If you look at brass rankings going back from 99 to 96 (pre-multi-key), you see this:

99: BD, SCV, Cadets, Cavies

98: BD, Cadets, SCV, Cavies

97: BD, SCV, PR, Cadets

96: PR, BD, Cadets, Cavies

It's not as if the ones winning with Bb/F are all-of-a-sudden leapfrogging over the G-based corps. Pretty much the same corps have been the best hornlines, G or Bb/F.

Mike

I think it's funny that for many years, marching bands have tried very hard to be like corps. Now, however, corps are wanting to become like bands. I myself am not really in favor of having Bb horns or electronic equipment anywhere near the activity. Any thoughts on this subject?

Kevin

Scouts Mello '97-'98.

I think it's funny that for many years, marching bands have tried very hard to be like corps. Now, however, corps are wanting to become like bands. I myself am not really in favor of having Bb horns or electronic equipment anywhere near the activity. Any thoughts on this subject?

Kevin

Scouts Mello '97-'98.

I'm having way too much fun playing on my G baritone bugle to trade it in for a Bb or F horn of any type.

Kevin

Scouts Mello '97-'98.

My thoughts on the subject:

Yes to multi-key,

Yes to A&E, and

Yes to any instruments the corps wants to use.

:lol:

Mike

I think it's interesting that Drum and Bugle corps is one of the few forms of art that specifically limits itself creatively by not allowing certain types of instruments as well as electronics. If a violin would make a show better, then why wouldn't it make sense to allow people to use (and amplify) a violin. I doubt that if they allowed woodwinds, that corps would be wasting any of their 135 marching member spots on woodwinds, since they don't produce much volume. I'm not for other instruments, or amplification, but I'm also not against allowing people to try them. I would not want to work at a corps that used such things, but if other places wanted to, so be it.

Jim