Boston Crusaders Welcomed At Lakewood Ranch

So why are they still the BOSTON CRUSADERS ?

As far as I can tell, they are sponsored by a lot of vets and businesses in Boston, so changing the name would cost them a lot of money. In addition to that, they're very big on tradition, so keeping the name the same is a big deal.

Serious question: why are the Boston Crusaders so connected to Florida? What is the link? They've been doing this sort of thing for a while; is there a long time staff member that provides the connection to Florida?

I don't know if it's a staff member or not, but Boston pulls the majority of its membership and vets from Florida. I'm not complaining.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because they are like almost every other World Class drum corps: they attract kids from all over the country, probably a handful of international members as well, and the major administrative operations are still out of their "home" location. And they still ooze "Boston" swagger and attitude, and I love it.

Basically, if you look at the numbers for a lot of corps, you'd have to say something like this to announce them:

From Casper, Wyoming, but also from New Mexico, Colorado, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Michigan, the Carolinas, Louisiana.... heck, all over the country and even from Japan.... the TROOPERS!

Lakewood Ranch is right outside Sarasota on the Gulf Coast ( west ) side of Florida. It's a newer Planned Community built with good schools, recreation facilities and so forth.

Dick Vitale, College Basketball's erstwhile College Basketball's TV broadcast announcer is one of it's residents. He says re. Lakewood Ranch ...." IT'S AWESOME BAYBEEEE !! "

Yep, nothing like seeing Dick walk down the beach at Siesta Key. That's something you'll remember.

So, why would they change their name because they spend FIVE weekends per year in Florida? Then should they rename themselves again when they spend four weeks in New Hampshire in June?

Some people are funny.

They are and will always be the Boston Crusaders.

Yes, if anyone knows the details of how the corps transitioned its base of operations from Boston to Florida, I would be interested to hear the details. It certainly appears to have worked well for the organization with a solid recruiting base and a much more secure financial base then when they operated in Boston.

I know that the senior corps is proud of the tradition and their ongoing achievements and feels a strong sense of connectedness despite the distance. The corps continues its pre-tour May/June rehearsals in New England (most recently New Hampshire) complete with preseason appearances in the area. They seem to have found the best of both worlds with a solid membership base from Florida, a good financial and administrative base from there, year round outdoor practice capabilities (like the California corps with a way to escape the heat as summer approaches), and yet have retained the tradition and loyalty of their extensive New England origins.

The corps is definitely a survivor unlike so many of the past Eastern greats.

Because they are like almost every other World Class drum corps: they attract kids from all over the country, probably a handful of international members as well, and the major administrative operations are still out of their "home" location. And they still ooze "Boston" swagger and attitude, and I love it.

Basically, if you look at the numbers for a lot of corps, you'd have to say something like this to announce them:

From Casper, Wyoming, but also from New Mexico, Colorado, Utah, Idaho, Texas, Michigan, the Carolinas, Louisiana.... heck, all over the country and even from Japan.... the TROOPERS!

Terri gets it! Because Terri's team is going through a similar renaissance. Good observation Terri. From what I've learned, Boston's DM is from Seattle, Guard Captains are from FL and Canada, Horn Sergeant is from CO, and home office, BOD, corps director, both principal designers are in MA. Plot those points on a map.

Anyway, artists in residence sounds kind of cool, if not a little pretentious.

BAC's base of operations continues to be in Boston. The corps office is actually in Woburn, Mass, and that is where you can find the corps director who works there along with various other folks who help out from time to time with various tasks. The Board of Directors of the corps is also based in the Boston area. The fact that the drum corps has decided over the last few years that it is a bit easier to rehearse in Florida during the winter months rather than in Boston should surprise noone. I still don't get why people think the corps should change its name. Clearly, BAC has been making the right moves because it is preparing for its 70th Anniversary year as a healthy, robust 7th place drum corps which has been a consistent finalist for more than a decade.

Perhaps some folks might just like to whack the beehive here on ol' DCP. Either way, speaking as a Boston area alum, I could not be happier with the current direction of the corps. :lle:

Serious question: why are the Boston Crusaders so connected to Florida? What is the link? They've been doing this sort of thing for a while; is there a long time staff member that provides the connection to Florida?

Because winters in Boston really, really suck and they decided they wanted to go someplace sunny for camps. Seriously people, get over it already :lle:

Next year's announcement should go like this: "From Boston MA, by way of Sarasota FL, the Boston Crusaders!"

BAC's base of operations continues to be in Boston. The corps office is actually in Woburn, Mass, and that is where you can find the corps director who works there along with various other folks who help out from time to time with various tasks. The Board of Directors of the corps is also based in the Boston area. The fact that the drum corps has decided over the last few years that it is a bit easier to rehearse in Florida during the winter months rather than in Boston should surprise noone. I still don't get why people think the corps should change its name. Clearly, BAC has been making the right moves because it is preparing for its 70th Anniversary year as a healthy, robust 7th place drum corps which has been a consistent finalist for more than a decade.

Perhaps some folks might just like to whack the beehive here on ol' DCP. Either way, speaking as a Boston area alum, I could not be happier with the current direction of the corps. :lle:

Interesting. So the corps' administration is still based in Boston? I was not aware of that. I know that very few of the members actually reside in the Boston area, not that that makes any difference. It is just a fact of modern world class drum corps as has been pointed out. Personally, I think it is great that the organization found a way to preserve a great tradition that was insolvent back in the 80's.