Worst Guard Outfit

fifer

Worst Guard Outfit  

182 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these options was the worst guard outfit?

• 2009 Madison Scouts (Nacho Libre)
    • 2003 Cavaliers (TIGHT lime green biker shorts)
    • 2002 Carolina Crown (pastel togas)
    • Other (post your own option)

I think 2 of the Corps on this list - Madison 2009 and Crown 2002 - could have been

noticably improved with simple color adjustments. Madison's guard in red rather

than blue, and Crown's Togas in white rather than pastel. Both would

have arguably looked great and not made this list.

Edited by madalumni

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What would be interesting is a counter-thread, that lists the best guard uniforms. Let's be fair: there are good designs, and bad ones. It's easy to spot the bad ones (especially the really bad ones.) And yes, the Scouts' design this year was embarassingly bad. But what was the best outfit you've seen so far?

My opening vote is for the 1983 Cadets unis. Pure class, pure dignity, and it fit well with the show concept that the two Georges were trying to convey. They get my nod.

All you budding Mr. Blackwells out there - now is your time to speak up!

I would like to politely point out, since I know there is some legitimate confusion on the subject, that Madison's uniforms were in no way created to resemble "Nacho Libre" or any type of mexican wrestling figure. They were strictly designed for a super hero look.

And therein lies the problem. The musical theme to the Scouts this show was Latin. So when the color guard showed up in those uniforms, people assumed that they were supposed to be Mexican wrestlers. And I thought the same. They wore the exact same mask that Mexican wrestlers wear.

Color guard design (including uniform design) has to be properly coordinated, with the rest of the show design. If it isn't, the result can be laughable confusion. (Actually, the result can be that the entire design team is fired - which is precisely what happened to the Scouts this off-season.)

If theme for this year's show is super heros, then don't use Latin music for it. If the them for this year's show is Latin culture, then don't pick super hero outfits for your color guard. Your entire show concept has to straightforward and consistent, or else you're just asking for problems.

But there's good news. Scouts announced their new Color Guard team today. It features Rosie Queen and Charlie Gumbert. They are the core of the team from Pride of Cincinnati, that won all those WGI titles over the past decade. See the article here:

http://news.madisonscouts.org/?p=246

This indicates that they are serious about turning their guard problems around. These are seasoned professionals with a track record of winning. Trust me, that team won't allow another design error onto the field, like this year's "Mucha Lucha" debacle.

Of all the personnel changes that this corps made over the past month, this is probably the one I am most impressed with. This is the one they needed the most.

And therein lies the problem. The musical theme to the Scouts this show was Latin. So when the color guard showed up in those uniforms, people assumed that they were supposed to be Mexican wrestlers. And I thought the same. They wore the exact same mask that Mexican wrestlers wear.

Color guard design (including uniform design) has to be properly coordinated, with the rest of the show design. If it isn't, the result can be laughable confusion. (Actually, the result can be that the entire design team is fired - which is precisely what happened to the Scouts this off-season.)

If theme for this year's show is super heros, then don't use Latin music for it. If the them for this year's show is Latin culture, then don't pick super hero outfits for your color guard. Your entire show concept has to straightforward and consistent, or else you're just asking for problems.

Everyone knows that all superheroes are white (except for the Black Lightning of course), and they listen to smooth jazz on the radio when they aren't saving the universe from Jeff Bridges or Heath Ledger.

Raise your hand if you knew that the 1985 Argonauts colorguard, had beat Blue Devils and Santa Clara Vanguard during the 85 season.......!?!

It's funny, I marched that year and have no clue what "place" my guard came in, in any show. Remember, we weren't on the sheets back then so guard awards were pretty arbitrary. Maybe they were given by an actual judge, just as likely it was the mayor's wife who thought one guard's flags were extra pretty and sparkly.

Everyone knows that all superheroes are white (except for the Black Lightning of course), and they listen to smooth jazz on the radio when they aren't saving the universe from Jeff Bridges or Heath Ledger.

If Scouts really wanted to use Latin music this year, and they really wanted to use superhero outfits for their guard, then they should have chosen this guy:

myherofigure.jpg

He's the original Latin superhero, and probably the only one that most audiences can recognize or relate to.

Zorro outfits would have been an excellent fit, with the rest of the show design, if done properly. It definitely would have been better than the ludicrous, risible, outrageous outfits that they wore this year.

myherofigure.jpg

He's the original Latin superhero, and probably the only one that most audiences can recognize or relate to.

Latin? The actor was Guy Williams (real Latin name, huh? :rolleyes: ) He went on to become known as Dr. John Robinson in the series "Lost in Space".