Worst Guard Outfit

fifer

Worst Guard Outfit  

182 members have voted

1. 1. Which of these options was the worst guard outfit?

• 2009 Madison Scouts (Nacho Libre)
    • 2003 Cavaliers (TIGHT lime green biker shorts)
    • 2002 Carolina Crown (pastel togas)
    • Other (post your own option)

I am conscious of this fact. And there is perhaps no more sad commentary, on the state of our society today.

Our society permits plenty of childish behavior by adults - because they are adults who never grew up. They were never forced to start behaving like adults. The continued to act like teenagers, because they felt it made them look "cool" or "hip" or "with-it".

Adults should act like adults, so that children can learn from them. Then eventually the children can start acting like adults as well. That is the way that people are supposed to mature - but somehow, this cycle has been broken today. Adults don't model adult behavior to children, and hence, children don't learn to act like adults. That's why our society is populated with "Fifty-year-old teenagers".

I have never quoted Scripture in this forum before, but in this circumstance, I feel compelled to. Here it goes:

When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.

I Corinthians 13:11

Our society "permits" people to do as they please so long as they aren't causing harm to anyone else. It is your view that the described behavior is childish. It's rather subjective, isn't it? And why should you care?

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am conscious of this fact. And there is perhaps no more sad commentary, on the state of our society today.

Our society permits plenty of childish behavior by adults - because they are adults who never grew up. They were never forced to start behaving like adults. The continued to act like teenagers, because they felt it made them look "cool" or "hip" or "with-it".

Adults should act like adults, so that children can learn from them. Then eventually the children can start acting like adults as well. That is the way that people are supposed to mature - but somehow, this cycle has been broken today. Adults don't model adult behavior to children, and hence, children don't learn to act like adults. That's why our society is populated with "Fifty-year-old teenagers".

I have never quoted Scripture in this forum before, but in this circumstance, I feel compelled to. Here it goes:

When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.

:rolleyes:

Wow can't say I ever disagreed with a post more on here that wasn't in the old C.E. forum. When we were children we rode bikes. Are you saying it is wrong to do so now as an adult? Comic books, while not my preference, are enabling ones mind to imagine, not stagnate. How can that be wrong? I love to read, and credit my mother for the same. She never told me what it was I was supposed check out from the library, just that reading was good for you. I've passed the same along to my son.

I'm assuming that those who march alumni corps are also supposed to feel the wrath of your posted scripture as well.....Thought there was something in scripture about judging others lest ye be judged.....

Yeah . . . why don't you read Preacher, Sandman or Y: The Last Man or any other adult graphic-novel narrative and get back to us.

News flash: sequential art has been around for a good long while; in fact, it's been around longer than drum corps! Gasp!

However, let's just throw all that out the window for the sake of this argument.

Popular culture today draws from the monomyth just as much as it did in years previous. Todays "The Dark Knight" was yesterdays Batman serial feature at the movies; the Fleischer "Superman" cartoons and serials with George Reeves begat the modern day animated and feature-film versions.

The idea that comics are any more "childish" than any other artistic pursuit . . . or a symptom of some sort of some generational "Peter Pan" syndrome . . . is as outlandish as the idea that DCA is the very same sort of thing for adults who couldn't be bothered to get the drum corps bug out of their system by age twenty-one.

Good day.

I don't know if you can spin an epee as opposed to a saber.

Not with the guard and grip on....not balanced for it. You can kinda spin a bare blade, tho...I tend to do that when I'm pulling one out of storage for a customer. (I sell fencing gear for a living, y'see...).

What is in the b&w Zorro pic is what we call a stage sabre...an epee blade mounted on a sabre guard and grip (in fact, I can tell that's not a competitive epee blade, since the groove for the wires doesn't reach the guard)...they're used because 1) the blade, being thicker than a fencing sabre blade, will stand up to stage combat use better and 2) it's bigger than a sabre or foil blade, so it'll show up on camera better (although this particular blade is rather narrow...modern epee blades are much wider at the shoulder)

And Elmo....nice Gay Blade pic!

So put those frisbees away right now you overgrown kids!

I would like to politely point out, since I know there is some legitimate confusion on the subject, that Madison's uniforms were in no way created to resemble "Nacho Libre" or any type of mexican wrestling figure. They were strictly designed for a super hero look. I can see how this came across otherwise considering the latin "mood" of the show, but either way, they were not Mexican wrestlers.

They were strictly designed for ...

The unis were strictly designed for trouble. Neither fans nor judges evaluate intent. If some thought they were fictional Mexican wrestlers or just silly, that's what matters - not what was intended.

HH

They were strictly designed for ...

The unis were strictly designed for trouble. Neither fans nor judges evaluate intent. If some thought they were fictional Mexican wrestlers or just silly, that's what matters - not what was intended.

HH

Agreed. Regardless of how somebody wants to defend their corps, the look was simply bad.

Let's pretend that Madison wanted to do a Land of the Lost show. The first time a sleestak appeared on the field, the audience would laugh--and the corps design team would have it coming to them. The same would be true once Chaka appeared on the field. Some things just don't translate well to drum corps.

The same happened with the Nacho Libre/Mucha Lucha/Rey Mysterioso/Relampago show. Nobody is blaming members. It was just a poor design. The management at Madison understands this and has moved forward.