Tuba player kills cameraman

You talk about tradition! Ha! There are a lot of informed people on this thread, but I marched in that band; played snare.

I know. Tryouts for that band are brutal. I tried out in 1983, my freshman year. I came back from drum corps, thinking I was going to breeze my way into that place. (I hadn't picked up a trombone in months. Trombone was my primary B-flat instrument at the time) Boy, was I in for a rude shock. I failed my audition miserably. Dr. Woods made it quite clear to me - don't come back. Ever again. I didn't. But someone, they made it without me.

(I find it ironic, that some universities have to force and cajole people - even music majors - into playing in marching band. At that university, they cut hundreds of people every year. It's practically like trying out for BD or Cadets! They also eventually had to change the rules, so that part-time students couldn't permanently take up spots in the band. There were 40-year-old guys who would enroll for 1 credit hour, try out for marching band, and take the spot of some 18-year-old kid. They eventually had to do this, to give the rookies a fighting chance.)

Yes, tradition is at the core of that band, and that university. I deeply suspect that when your son tries out for the drum line, in the fall of 2018 or so, they will have the exact same book, same drill, same uniforms - everything.

The rest of the pageantry arts may change, but that outfit never will. There needs to be one place, where tradition and heritage is paramount.

Edited by oldschooldbc

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know. Tryouts for that band are brutal. I tried out in 1983, my freshman year. I came back from drum corps, thinking I was going to breeze my way into that place. (I hadn't picked up a trombone in months. Trombone was my primary B-flat instrument at the time) Boy, was I in for a rude shock. I failed my audition miserably. Dr. Woods made it quite clear to me - don't come back. Ever again. I didn't. But someone, they made it without me.

(I find it ironic, that some universities have to force and cajole people - even music majors - into playing in marching band. At that university, they cut hundreds of people every year. It's practically like trying out for BD or Cadets! They also eventually had to change the rules, so that part-time students couldn't permanently take up spots in the band. There were 40-year-old guys who would enroll for 1 credit hour, try out for marching band, and take the spot of some 18-year-old kid. They eventually had to do this, to give the rookies a fighting chance.)

Yes, tradition is at the corps of that band, and that university. I deeply suspect that when your son tries out for the drum line, in the fall of 2018 or so, they will have the exact same book, same drill, same uniforms - everything.

The rest of the pageantry arts may change, but that outfit never will. There needs to be one place, where tradition and heritage is paramount.

I marched snare in a top-12 corps in the mid-70's and thought I was big ####. But the first time I had to march ankle-knee for 100 yards at 180 bpm, carrying a drum on my chest, I thought I was gonna die!

But, in a hat tip to the drum corps performers of today, we never did keep that 180 bpm going all the way down the field. By the time we got the other end zone we were down to about 160 bpm. Even THAT hasn't changed in 28 years!

Yes, tradition is at the corps of that band, and that university. I deeply suspect that when your son tries out for the drum line, in the fall of 2018 or so, they will have the exact same book, same drill, same uniforms - everything.

May I just say that out of this entire thread, this sentiment seemed to be the most eloquent until it was blown with an easy spelling mistake. To wit: the "core" of something is not the "corps" of anything. Your heart was in the right place, though - great last paragraph.

Puppet

May I just say that out of this entire thread, this sentiment seemed to be the most eloquent until it was blown with an easy spelling mistake. To wit: the "core" of something is not the "corps" of anything. Your heart was in the right place, though - great last paragraph.

Puppet

Fixed!

Thank you!

One thing that would have been awesome:

I wish they would have asked Bo to dot the I. He was a long-time assistant to Woody and probably his best friend. When Bo died they did a great tribute to him at Ohio Stadium before the 2006 OSU-UM game.

One thing that would have been awesome:

I wish they would have asked Bo to dot the I. He was a long-time assistant to Woody and probably his best friend. When Bo died they did a great tribute to him at Ohio Stadium before the 2006 OSU-UM game.

If they can get Lloyd Carr or Desmond Howard or Tim Biakabatuka to dot the I, will OSU fans promise to stop destroying cars with Michigan license plates?

I was there in the stadium in 1983, when Woody Hayes was invited to dot the I in Script Ohio. Here's the video of that event:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lvopIQNHkQ

The legendary, retired football coach was given this honor, and he accepted it. That shows you how much this tradition means to that school, its supporters and alumni.

To celebrate this momentous occasion, he then punched a kid in the throat.

Can you imagine if a Michigan fan took the trouble to go to OSU, get in the band, audition for DM...and lead the OSU band on the field to "Script Michigan"?!?

THat would be the greatest college prank of all time.

To celebrate this momentous occasion, he then punched a kid in the throat.

Ha, ha, very funny. :sleeping::ph34r::ph34r:

No, Charlie Bauman was never in the OSU Marching Band. No, Woody never punched any on in the band, to the best of my knowledge.

It is amazing how that man's reputation was tarnished by that one incident. Yes, he did punch a South Carolina player during the 1978 Gator Bowl. Yes, it did cost him his job as the football coach. Yes, it did bring his illustrious career in coaching to an quick, ignominious end.

No, that's not the only aspect of the man's legacy. He did tremendous good for that university and community during his tenure there.

Ha, ha, very funny. :sleeping::ph34r::ph34r:

No, Charlie Bauman was never in the OSU Marching Band. No, Woody never punched any on in the band, to the best of my knowledge.

It is amazing how that man's reputation was tarnished by that one incident. Yes, he did punch a South Carolina player during the 1978 Gator Bowl. Yes, it did cost him his job as the football coach. Yes, it did bring his illustrious career in coaching to an quick, ignominious end.

No, that's not the only aspect of the man's legacy. He did tremendous good for that university and community during his tenure there.

was a Clemson player..but other than that, I agree. He spoke at my high school when i was in band. I believe it was an FFA dinner, and the band worked as servers. He spent a good 5-10 minutes talking to a nobody junior quad player...about football, and about life.

It still is sad that one second of competitive anger mars the memories of a great, great person...not just coach.