Some of the "Funnest" times at DCA

Andyroo

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not really fun, but a bit disturbing, actually....

Saturday morning in Rochester I woke up earlier than I had planned, so I decided to get moving and go take a walk in the cool morning air.

Outside the hotel, I got into a conversation with a guy.... I guessed he was a local vagrant, because he looked a bit disheveled. He had grayish hair, was wearing a Hawaiian shirt and smoking a cigarette.

The guy seemed to know a few things about drum corps.... so we chatted for a while. All the time I was pondering an exit strategy... where could I run to get away from this guy, in case he started getting belligerent. You never know with people like him. Good mood one minute, dangerously angry the next.

Anyhow.... I wrapped up my chat with him, wished him a good day, and went to take my walk. Out of the corner of my eye, I thought I saw a person in a white coat with a long needle in his hand approaching the guy... wasn't quite sure about that.

I found out later that this guy has been hanging around the same hotel pretty much every year the DCA championship has been in Rochester. Somebody told me his name was Andy-something. But who knows if that is his real name... people like that have been known to adopt multiple personalities.

Just FYI for future years in Rochester. If you see this guy, keep walking.... fast.

Fran

i will put money on it that he was audie. i won't give out his last name . tom knows who it is. :lle:

Guy sitting next to me with Royal-Aires Alumni jacket and (St Louis Memorial) Lancers pin (can't remember his name) saying during Grennies Finals show: "Donny Allen must have a closet full of uniforms". :lle:

Corps story later that evening from a former Pittsburgh Rocket: "So two buses leave and one hits the highway and the other heads into town. :lle: There's a guy on the corner with a horn case in his hand. The bus stops and he gets on. Then I hear "Thought your wife wasn't going to let you go to the show?" "Oh <bleep> her, she thinks I going for a loaf of bread". :ph34r:

And if you're reading Chuck, I owe ya a Yingling at practice....

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

i will put money on it that he was audie. i won't give out his last name . tom knows who it is. :lle:

i agree with the both of you and will not reveal last name either. have not seen him in awhile.

i agree with the both of you and will not reveal last name either. have not seen him in awhile.

You know it wasn't Audie......he didn't have on a Phoenix jacket......LOL

sounds (unfortunately) more like Smitty Ribs.

Not really fun, but a bit disturbing, actually....

Saturday morning in Rochester I woke up earlier than I had planned, so I decided to get moving and go take a walk in the cool morning air.

Outside the hotel, I got into a conversation with a guy.... I guessed he was a local vagrant, because he looked a bit disheveled. He had grayish hair, was wearing a Hawaiian shirt and smoking a cigarette.

The guy seemed to know a few things about drum corps.... so we chatted for a while. All the time I was pondering an exit strategy... where could I run to get away from this guy, in case he started getting belligerent. You never know with people like him. Good mood one minute, dangerously angry the next.

Anyhow.... I wrapped up my chat with him, wished him a good day, and went to take my walk. Out of the corner of my eye, I thought I saw a person in a white coat with a long needle in his hand approaching the guy... wasn't quite sure about that.

I found out later that this guy has been hanging around the same hotel pretty much every year the DCA championship has been in Rochester. Somebody told me his name was Andy-something. But who knows if that is his real name... people like that have been known to adopt multiple personalities.

Just FYI for future years in Rochester. If you see this guy, keep walking.... fast.

Fran

That's amazing, Fran, because I ran into a very similar situation.

I went downstairs to get some coffee on Saturday morning, and while I was sitting there - nattily attired in my Hawaiian shirt, I might add - enjoying the brew this disheveled derelict came walking into the hotel driveway. He was all out of breath - as though he had walked a hundred yards or so. He didn't have a Hawaiian shirt on, so it couldn't have been the same guy, but this guy had a wild look about him - his eyes were all glazed over and his hair (what little there was of it) was all askew.

He started up a conversation with me - telling me all about his days in drum corps. I humored him as best I could, but just looking at him you could tell that the only drum corps he had ever been in was the "Leavenworth Lifers."

As I began to back up gingerly, hoping that the ground would open up and swallow me, he kept advancing toward me. Suddenly, he said, "Well, I've got to go." As I raised my hands to the heavens, saying, "Thank God!!!", he abruptly turned and walked away.

One interesting thing though. I'll swear I've heard this guy's voice somewhere before. Since I've been home I've been looking at all the television ads for homeless shelters and drug and alcohol rehab programs, trying to hear this voice again, but so far no luck. If I ever find out who it is, I'll post it here.

That's amazing, Fran, because I ran into a very similar situation.

I went downstairs to get some coffee on Saturday morning, and while I was sitting there - nattily attired in my Hawaiian shirt, I might add - enjoying the brew this disheveled derelict came walking into the hotel driveway. He was all out of breath - as though he had walked a hundred yards or so. He didn't have a Hawaiian shirt on, so it couldn't have been the same guy, but this guy had a wild look about him - his eyes were all glazed over and his hair (what little there was of it) was all askew.

He started up a conversation with me - telling me all about his days in drum corps. I humored him as best I could, but just looking at him you could tell that the only drum corps he had ever been in was the "Leavenworth Lifers."

As I began to back up gingerly, hoping that the ground would open up and swallow me, he kept advancing toward me. Suddenly, he said, "Well, I've got to go." As I raised my hands to the heavens, saying, "Thank God!!!", he abruptly turned and walked away.

One interesting thing though. I'll swear I've heard this guy's voice somewhere before. Since I've been home I've been looking at all the television ads for homeless shelters and drug and alcohol rehab programs, trying to hear this voice again, but so far no luck. If I ever find out who it is, I'll post it here.

:rolleyes::smile::wub:

And thank God you "got" this. Looks like we fooled everyone else!!!! LOLOL

Fran

Hurricanes hornline and Cabs drumline before retreat = epic!

I think its safe to say that they will NEVER put that shuttle bus near us again :rolleyes: