President suggests longer school sessions for students

actually... the change has to start in our schools of education.... that's a long story though.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

more school = more people working = more money = I do not see it happening anytime soon... especially in California where public schools and colleges are taking multiple non-holidays off for the sole reason of helping the state get out of debt.

And yes, college age kids will most likely become the majority in world class (more so then it is now). Further, I imagine many open class corps will change their schedules to accommodate all of the younger kids, creating a larger distinction between open and world class.... World class will have more older members with longer practice time while open class will have more younger members with less practice time. (yes, i know older does not = better) These are just a few things I see possible if high school has longer school years.

This would most certainly negatively effect numbers for high school kids being in corps, and reduce the number of world class corps. On the other hand, it could drastically increase the numbers and quality of open class corps who don't tour and rehearse as much.

I have to agree that one of the key differences between our system and the systems of other countries is that we believe everyone should get a high school diploma, which has essentially become a college prep program. We should adopt a system like Germany, where students don't get into a college prep ninth grade year without doing well academically before that.

That being said, if we start firing all the teachers that aren't seen as effective, who will replace them? I think that we need to come up with a better system for teacher evaluation, and continued education to rectify issues rather than firing people when there just aren't replacements.

Also, educational experts seem to think that the greatest source of inequity between students within our country (and what is dragging our average down when compared to other countries) is what goes on before they start kindergarten. pre-k is the most formative time in a young person's intellectual development, and more and more people of lower economic standing are inable to give their children what they need in this time because they are trying to put food on the table and keep the heat on. I would say that keeping the current school calendar but starting two years earlier, combined with more career training rather than college prep high schools would make a much greater positive impact on our educational results than Obama's plan.

agree on parenting...and a huge part of the problem is people way too far removed...or never ever set foot in the classrooms make up the agenda for what is to be taught. and today its all about passing the mandated tests so they get money, not teachng kids how to prepare for life and the 3 r's

You know what I would say to him saying we are falling behind our counterparts? Watch an American drum corps, then watch an international drum corps

I believe he is talking about the level of education, not the level of drum corp... which most already agree on.

Like I stated in the historical forum, I see this affecting open class much more than world class. You may even see open class take on a form much similar to DCA with more regional membership.

Though, the reasoning isn't all-together sound, since there are a lot of factors causing the American educational system to fail as it has.

Okay, I've also got to ask that we avoid assessing blame on parents, teachers or anyone/anything else.

I hope to keep this on track regarding if it's something that we should be concerned about, or if such concern might be over-reacting. And especially, how would it affect drum corps as we know it?

Nevermind, I'll respect the OP's wishes and keep some thoughts to myself. :tongue:

If something like this does happen, I foresee DCI becoming even more of a select group of college-aged students OR DCI and the individual corps will have to modify their calendar and make the season even shorter. Both scenarios stink and will probably result in even less drum corps across the country.

Edited by euphononium

President Obama suggests students need to stay in school longer.

Much research has showed that American students are falling behind their counterparts around the world. Are longer school days or longer semesters the answer? The reason I'm asking this is due to the first paragraph in this article. If summer vacations are shortened, what impact (if any) could that have on our activity?

Some other questions:

1) Do you agree students should spend more time in school?

2) How about if that affects drum corps?

3) If longer school terms became the norm, would drum corps essentially become more of a college student activity?

4) Is this something we need to be concerned about, or is it premature to assume it would/could happen?

While this is a suggestion/proposal by a political office holder, please, let's not let this thread turn political, because it would get closed.

I'm mostly wondering what we should anticipate in case this becomes the norm.

1) Time does not equal quality and achievement. Spending more time in a lousy school does little to improve a student's education.

2) Housing issues, for one thing, if schools are in session.

3) World class is pretty much a college age activity; it would just go the rest of the way.

5) Very premature.

Because students are rewarded for effort rather than outcome.

Where have I heard that before--people being rewarded for effort no matter the outcome?