DCA Championship Bids

I was at Winston-Salem. Those 3400 spectators ALL sat somewhere between the 30 yard lines. They also enjoyed the opportunity to move to a higher, or less crowded location if they chose. ALL 3400 fans (despite rain right up to gates open time) received a good, to great seat and saw/heard the corps at their best. The potential for audience growth at such a stadium is high. Had the Winston-Salem show been held at a 4000 seat facility, MANY new spectators would have been seated in less advantageous locations.

:tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's too bad the athletic department at the University of Delaware is so uptight about "outsiders" coming in and using their facilities. Otherwise, Newark DE might be a viable option.

still grass i think

I think that ultimately expanding into unexplored territory is ultimately good for the activity. The activity has thrived in the New Enlgand area for many years, why can it not be as successful in the midwest or west coast?

ok...say you book a stadium in the midwest. say 4000 fans show up.

ok those fans get a great show. and every corps loses money.

so...is it really with it to just show up untried? I think running a few regionals in areas to build the audience base up is exactly what needs to be done to prove it can sustain itself. I hate to say it, but not as many NE people will travel far away as people think, and given the fact NO ONE outside of the NC folks will ever post attendance says trying it untested in new areas is a HUGE problem waiting to happen

For a combined midwest- and southern-area regional, I would like to suggest Cessna Stadium on the campus of Wichita State University.

tnm_thumb_wsuks.jpg

LIBTSREITWRZQTX.20061012145614.jpg

The stadium seats 30,000 total. The front side stands are 75 rows high with a two-story press box on top. Wichita has over 7,000 hotel rooms and there are many bars and restaurants within a mile or less than the stadium. This stadium was home to a DCI show from 1997 - 2008 and, when I was Contest Director, we had attendance as high as 10,000 for the show. The local businesses always provide sponsorships in the form of cash, free hotel rooms, meals, etc., as well as greatly reduced advertising on TV and radio. If a non-profit is renting the stadium, the fee is around $500 for the day. Wichita is located almost dead center between MN and TX on I-35, and it has an airport with 8 of the major airlines and 45 flights a day to most major hubs in the USA.

Edited by kansasDC

and Winston Salem didnt look like we filled in anywhere except the people who got freebies in the press box

That would be why I was a bit surprised, no, shocked, by the comment that it was filled from 30 to 30 considering it looked nothing like that from where I was. But hey all those empty seats around me on the almost 50 were a figment of my imagination I guess....

I vote for wherever this picture was taken!!

1465488156_f29dc82788.jpg

Bring your own hedge clippers? :tongue:

For a combined midwest- and southern-area regional, I would like to suggest Cessna Stadium on the campus of Wichita State University.

tnm_thumb_wsuks.jpg

LIBTSREITWRZQTX.20061012145614.jpg

The stadium seats 30,000 total. The front side stands are 75 rows high with a two-story press box on top. Wichita has over 7,000 hotel rooms and there are many bars and restaurants within a mile or less than the stadium. This stadium was home to a DCI show from 1997 - 2008 and, when I was Contest Director, we had attendance as high as 10,000 for the show. The local businesses always provide sponsorships in the form of cash, free hotel rooms, meals, etc., as well as greatly reduced advertising on TV and radio. If a non-profit is renting the stadium, the fee is around $500 for the day. Wichita is located almost dead center between MN and TX on I-35, and it has an airport with 8 of the major airlines and 45 flights a day to most major hubs in the USA.

The corps on the field when this photo was taken looks like it has a very interesting visual show. :tongue:

Fran