The Good Old Days weren't all that good

baja

That's the type of drib, that makes DCA so unattractive IMO. You do realize that OUR regoin is 100F+ for most of MAY, JUNE, JULY, AUGUST, and SEPTEMBER. Recruitment is one thing. Most of our issue is retention. When you're outside in 100F+ rehearsing a field show for a MAYBE the issue is retention. Most seasons start (2008+) with 30+ at the first drill camp. By the time June/July rolls around (first performance opportunity at a drumcorps show) we're lucky to have 20. It's a regional thing.

Not to drag yet another thread into this. But from my POV. Hey I'm marching drumcorps and I paid my dues. To look over at DCAs response, not good enough do more. Okay, I'm also letting others use thousands worth of my gear to help field more people than we otherwise might have been able to do. Not good enough, do more. Okay, I'm stepping out and liquidating a lot of my assets to ensure that our local corps gets something more than a not good enough at seasons end. Not good enough do more. Okay, I.... not good enough... Okay I, ..... not good enough .... And ultimately I'm let with one of my original thoughs, aren't YOU supposed to be doing something more than just saying not good enough (to over half the genre)?

We get to play too... How nice of ya'all... AFTER FOUR YEARS... (maybe more, if ever)

And I'm sure someone's just going to say don't march at all then. Well, yeah, that solves the issue doesn't it? Or how about this one, march another corps. Well that's 200 miles each way for each rehearsal / event. And when / IF we make it to DCA, dca can't even gaurantee that the field will be lined or the show recorded. I in effect did that in 2006. A memorable year. DCA, not so much. You do realize that DCA accounts for maybe 4 out of 10+ shows per year for those of us not in the NE region. Maybe 10% of our season involves DCA. Even though 100% of our show design / execution is for DCA. And if you want to get technical since we're less than 35, 0% involves DCA. Even though 100% .......

All of those Jr. Corps issues, trivial in comparison... Or at least they were much nicer to my pocket book.

I have to say that you guys have your issues in your region... BUT and this is a BIG BUT... If you know the weather is hot then make arrangements to be indoors or practice in morning hours outside and move things indoors later when it heats up... Or travel the 200 miles to another corps... It would be cheaper than having people use thousands of dollars of your equipment! But there is no cheap answer to marching corps... It costs me about $4,000.00 per year to march.

Our corps is in Northern CA and we had people from So Cal commute as well as TEXAS!!! Tennessee etc! So I know people commute to corps! My suggestion is stop whining and do something that works! It is obvious that you are passionate about corps... So compete somewhere that competition is possible!

Or complain about your lot in life as if we were interested! :tongue:

Ever have green noodles? I did for about two weeks while touring . . . . and they were delicious.

Thank you for your input.

Thank you for your haircut.

Issues? I've got a whole subscription!!!

Thank you, folks. Tip the barber on the way out, won't you?

Issues? I've got a whole subscription!!!

Thank you, folks. Tip the barber on the way out, won't you?

Hey, be nice now. Hairbear is a senior corps legend, from several very good corps. He has a nice "ring" collection to back it up too.

Tommytimp, you are a legend too, just with junior corps affiliations instead of senior corps.

Quite true on both counts ( I assume.) But I might draw your attention to the bottom right hand corner of the page, in re: the discussion group.

The thing about the "good ole' days" was the abundance of participation opportunities at all levels of the activty, from the crappiest little rinky-dink corps to the National contenders, and everything in-between.

Now it's a very elite deal, for a very select bunch of kids.

Who cares if your french horn sucked ... At least you had the opportunity to learn how to play it.

I get a kick from watching the 1973 video on Santa Clara where Gail Royer says, "You don't have to know how to play an instrument, we'll teach you."

Can you imagine someone showing up in Concord Ca. wanting to join the Blue Devils with absolutley no experience?

First off, the "time commitment and expense of participation" in corps like Blue Saints and the all-age corps are no more now than they were 20-30 years ago (obviously adjusting the $$$ for inflataion). So, that excuse does not fly.

Second, explain to me how "DCI drum corps" forced circuits like Garden State, Eastern Mass, CYO, etc. to fold? As far as I know (and I lived with a member Director for many years), all of these are separate organizations that controlled their own destiny. DCI did not have any regulatory power over these other circuits. Yet, virtually all of them folded due to lack of members. So, how is that different than my argument above?

I have an answer for you. DCI controls where the member corps (top 12) go on tour. The American International Open in Butler was boycotted by DCI, ticket sales dropped when the big guys stopped coming, show folds.