The Good Old Days weren't all that good

baja

we (Blue Rock) were known to always travel better than anyone else in the activity!

drumcorps Urban Legend: the Blue Rock guys appropriated a jackhammer, and used it to make a hole in the bus floor for the aforementioned purpose.

I enjoyed ALL of it! NOW: About peeing out the bus window.....

We had a hole rusted out in the floor of our old school bus that worked just fine for this!

Haha, we were much more sophisticated--we had a pulley system with belts, the subject's belt was removed and re-looped from front to back but only through to the side loops--two more belts were attached, one one either side and these two were fastened as to close the loop around the person's waist and then in turn was looped around the door handle--the old school bus handle lever system for the driver. When the subject moved forward the door would open automatically--because he was harnessed to it--and off ya' want. One door folds out and the other in and you in the middle. Kept you on the bus and your whizzlings outside! Problem was sometimes going 65 miles an hour, you'd get an updraft and a shower would rain through the windows along the right side of the bus. I'm still trying to decide if that was funny.....

Edited by tommyfromhowardst

We had a hole rusted out in the floor of our old school bus that worked just fine for this!

We used a ###### bag with a hole cut in the top. A little work on a wire coat hanger and it was positioned perfectly in the door well of the bus with the hose trailing out of the door. You can fill in the blanks.

The back of the bus guys used beer cans. That was fraught with danger, since the top of the can was punched in with a church key and jagged edges abounded. Another guy used plastic sandwich bags. They made great water balloons.

OMG...

:tongue:

:tongue:

Wait a minute! I remember your gosh awful busses!!!! You used to have to push the darn things to get them started! :tongue:

Gee, I thought that was EVERYBODIES bus..... :tongue::tongue:

The thing about the "good ole' days" was the abundance of participation opportunities at all levels of the activty, from the crappiest little rinky-dink corps to the National contenders, and everything in-between.

Now it's a very elite deal, for a very select bunch of kids.

I disagree with this statement. If this were truly the case, then why are so many corps marching less than the maximum number of members? There were alot of corps in Indy this year with less than 100 members, and even a few with barely 30. There are also quite a few all-age corps that have not even been able to compete yet because they have not even made it to 35+ members. The opportunities to march are there, the kids just need to be a little less picky. The attitude I hear all the time is "if I can't march in a top 6 World Class corps, then I'm not marching". I am sure that corps like Blue Saints and Spirit of Newark would love to have the opportunity to train more kids. I know Prairie Sound in KC would love to have them too because I've been there.

I disagree with this statement. If this were truly the case, then why are so many corps marching less than the maximum number of members? There were alot of corps in Indy this year with less than 100 members, and even a few with barely 30. There are also quite a few all-age corps that have not even been able to compete yet because they have not even made it to 35+ members. The opportunities to march are there, the kids just need to be a little less picky. The attitude I hear all the time is "if I can't march in a top 6 World Class corps, then I'm not marching". I am sure that corps like Blue Saints and Spirit of Newark would love to have the opportunity to train more kids. I know Prairie Sound in KC would love to have them too because I've been there.

Yeah, I have to call BS on most of your argument.

I'd attribute the holes and under-filled corps due to time commitment and expense of participation.

Look at the overall number of corps who participated in Class A prelims in 1977 vs. today ... Then add to that, class B/All girls, and the thousands of little corps all around the country that didn't even compete.

DCI drum corps is a hollow ghost of an activity compared to that, and earlier, eras

Yeah, I have to call BS on most of your argument.

I'd attribute the holes and under-filled corps due to time commitment and expense of participation.

Look at the overall number of corps who participated in Class A prelims in 1977 vs. today ... Then add to that, class B/All girls, and the thousands of little corps all around the country that didn't even compete.

DCI drum corps is a hollow ghost of an activity compared to that, and earlier, eras

Yeah, that's true-from 400 corps in the 70s (I think the numbers are right) to what we have now-I'm speaking mainly about junior corps. Plus all of the regional championships, circuits, etc. All gone. I also think this whole notion of "Marching Music's Major Leagues" creates a culture where only the "major" of players of the league are desirable. That's why the few smaller groups left have such a struggle to get kids. When it was a youth activity, it wasn't that bad if your corps was never going to challenge for DCI's championship b/c most corps weren't either. Plus you could always hope to win a small show, make finals at Marion, Butler, Toledo, Lynn, etc. Compare the schedule of some of the smaller corps today vs. those of the 80s and they don't even match. There were way more shows, more ways for smaller corps to shine, and better links to the community.