The Good Old Days weren't all that good

baja

AND I WOULDN'T CHANGE A THING. IT TAUGHT ME HOW TO MAKE THE BEST OF WHATEVER THE SITUATION WAS.

Isn't that the point? Isn't that why we do drum corps? Sure, it's nice to have the perfect piece of equipment all the time. But after playing some of the POS that we had, we actually may have become better musicians. It was what it was, and I wouldn't change it, either.

Jeez, it's drum corps. Not a resort vacation.

Garry in Vegas

I also think this whole notion of "Marching Music's Major Leagues" creates a culture where only the "major" of players of the league are desirable.

It's a self-perpetuating "super performance group" mentality that Hopkins predicted/advocated years ago in a 2001 interview on the Blue Devils website: Interview with George Hopkins

It's a self-perpetuating "super performance group" mentality that Hopkins predicted/advocated years ago in a 2001 interview on the Blue Devils website: Interview with George Hopkins

Is he saying that 2,000 kids try out for the Cadets a year?

Mr Hopkins talks about the 2 million band kids. So, is he just throwing all the millions, and millions, and millions of kids who are not in band for one reason or another under the bus with the hole in the floor? :innocent:

Dean

"Super Performance Groups":

Yeah right. :innocent: As long as THE "Super Performance Group" would be the "Cadets", all would be right in "His World". This isn't exactly a "New Idea". Don Angelica, "Way Back When" saw a "Perfect World" of 15 or so DCI 'Mega Drum Corps'.

Elphaba

"Super Performance Groups":

Yeah right. :innocent: As long as THE "Super Performance Group" would be the "Cadets", all would be right in "His World". This isn't exactly a "New Idea". Don Angelica, "Way Back When" saw a "Perfect World" of 15 or so DCI 'Mega Drum Corps'.

Elphaba

We used to have a "perfect world".... now we have drumcorps for the gifted.

In a perfect world, we would once again have drumcorps for the masses.

We used to have a "perfect world".... now we have drumcorps for the gifted.

In a perfect world, we would once again have drumcorps for the masses.

But we do have drum corps for the masses, its called DCA.

• Like 1

But we do have drum corps for the masses, its called DCA.

And don't overlook drum corps for the masses in the open division which is WAAAAYYYYY underrated. People are really doing themselves a disfavor by overlooking these shows. Top six to eight open corps are everybit as good as bottom 6 world corps that get audience attention. I just wish there was a way to march a DCA corps, but the closest one is two and half hours away and I sometimes have to work weekends. At least I get to play drums in my local band at the local bars for local dollars, can't complain there...