The Good Old Days weren't all that good

baja

The buglers HOF should also put her in. Might wake up the Garfield alumni

i believe the criteria ( if not mistaken ) is not if you were a member, or played well or even the best , but what you did for the corps above and beyond being a member or non member ( volunteer). Kind of like DCI HOF as well as WGI...I think

• Like 1

i believe the criteria ( if not mistaken ) is not if you were a member, or played well or even the best , but what you did for the corps above and beyond being a member or non member ( volunteer). Kind of like DCI HOF as well as WGI...I think

If you knew what kind of obstacles she had to overcome and all the horn players she inspired I truly believe she went far beyond the pale. But I do want to say that the only reason I made the reference was because I wanted to mention something about the good old days that was positive and not the generic clap that I'd read.

There were too many good things about the good old days and to me they far out weighed the bad. One of the best was seeing corps for thee first time. I remember our mid west tour when I saw the Anaheim Kingsmen for the first time (I'd never even heard them before that!) and marching against the Troopers and hearing the crowds love you. Playing our rep in the parking lot on kazoos in the parking lot of a Howard Johnson restaurant in Warren, Ohio to the crowd's amazement and delight ... there were all kinds of good stuff like that. Now the good old days may not have been all that good but to me the were all that.

• Like 1

If you knew what kind of obstacles she had to overcome and all the horn players she inspired I truly believe she went far beyond the pale. But I do want to say that the only reason I made the reference was because I wanted to mention something about the good old days that was positive and not the generic clap that I'd read.

There were too many good things about the good old days and to me they far out weighed the bad. One of the best was seeing corps for thee first time. I remember our mid west tour when I saw the Anaheim Kingsmen for the first time (I'd never even heard them before that!) and marching against the Troopers and hearing the crowds love you. Playing our rep in the parking lot on kazoos in the parking lot of a Howard Johnson restaurant in Warren, Ohio to the crowd's amazement and delight ... there were all kinds of good stuff like that. Now the good old days may not have been all that good but to me the were all that.

I do know what she personally went through..Its just not the criteria for HOF I believe. I also know a person who was the longest to ever march the corps from its beginning and was nominated but didnt get it because,.he was a member and chose to be there that length of time and yes it was admirable but did they go beyond FOR THE CORPS..I guess not the criteria for HOF....I agree with you with seeing A. Kingsmen the 1st time..hot hot hot

I remember our mid west tour when I saw the Anaheim Kingsmen for the first time (I'd never even heard them before that!)

My first look at them was at the 1970 CYO Nationals at Boston College. It was rumored that Anaheim was not going to make the show in time to perform. As we (and the Boston Crusaders) assembled in the parking lot, Anaheim's buses roared in, and they disgourged having mostly changed into their uniforms. They put on a hell of a show. -WPS-

The first time i saw the Anaheim Kingsmen was at whitewater 1976. I had heard all of there recordings before then but never seen them. Now dont forget this is after 75 when they didnt go on tour and many thought the were going under. To my suprise they came around the corner at whitewater and i think it was one of the greatest sights i have ever seen. They werent the powerhouse they used to be but they were the Kingsmen. The following year i moved to Cali and joined the Kingsmen. 1977 was such a great experience we just missed finals to Garfield. To this year and time i believe if Garfield would have not sang amen at the end we would have beat them i might be but have allways had this gut feeling about it.

Thomas Salvatore

The buglers HOF should also put her in. Might wake up the Garfield alumni

Hell, it was ME who submitted the nomination for her last time...ME...a BLUE DEVIL who she BEAT for the ring!

Did she get in? No....and that's still a travesty, that the greatest mello soloist of all time isn't in her own corps' HOF.

• Like 1

Hell, it was ME who submitted the nomination for her last time...ME...a BLUE DEVIL who she BEAT for the ring!

Did she get in? No....and that's still a travesty, that the greatest mello soloist of all time isn't in her own corps' HOF.

Sam, I was one of those who saw your letter and piled on with many others to get the folks at Garfield to change their minds...

Tradition kinda sucks when you can't honor your own.

Sam, I was one of those who saw your letter and piled on with many others to get the folks at Garfield to change their minds...

Tradition kinda sucks when you can't honor your own.

I had also advocated for Barbara Maroney in my own subtle way. I flew from Alberta, stopped in Toronto before making my way to Miami for DCI 1983. What I saw was ballet and what I heard was Barbara. I truly believe, she may have been an inspiration to those around her. She had a genuine love of playing mellophone. We may have to let it be and let Barbara be a wonderful memory :)

I had also advocated for Barbara Maroney in my own subtle way. I flew from Alberta, stopped in Toronto before making my way to Miami for DCI 1983. What I saw was ballet and what I heard was Barbara. I truly believe, she may have been an inspiration to those around her. She had a genuine love of playing mellophone. We may have to let it be and let Barbara be a wonderful memory :)

great players have gone through that corps and maybe shes one of the greatest But I dont believe that's the criteria for the HOF

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1