Nominee for Best Ballad

**It's 1993!** The piece, "The Fire of Eternal Glory" (sic) is pure Shostakovich with the power and darkness that only Phantom could play him. The sweetness with which they treat the opening statement is enhanced by the visual of a Russian honorary court, complete with guard on the arm of the horns as they march into the great hall. The power they exude throughout the build to the end simply pulls you in to the determinant tempo, drives to the beat-3 cutoff that nearly sucks the air out of the stadum, and resolves to a full volume hold for a full four bars. God, it doesn't get any better than that.

Useless, but interesting trivia: the name is actually "The Flame of Eternal Glory", written in 1960. It was written in honor of the city of Novorossiik, on the western Russian border on the Black Sea. The city, a seaport, was occupied by the Germans in 1942 but, because of the heroics of a small group of Russian sailors, held on until the Red army arrived and kept the Germans from capturing and using the seaport. It was named an official "Hero City" after the war.

Shostakovich wrote the piece to honor the city, using a beginning he wrote years before in a contest to find a new Russian national anthem.

Although several Philharmonics have performed the piece I think Phantom gave it the power and glory it deserved. I think Shostakovich would have loved to hear it.

It's also interesting to see that Phantom's Russian dynasty lasted until 1994.

(When you listen on FN listen to the crowd at the end of the opener! Fantastic!)

Edited by garfield

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1994 was Claire de Lune (awesome, too!).

I think you mean 1993.

It is '93 Regiment, not '94.

But yes, it is my favorite ballad ever. Second place goes to '06 Regiment.

93 phantom is almost a great example of why we should still have G's... lol, but that is just one reason out of the many NOT reasons... PLEASE FOR GOD SAKE DON'T TURN THIS INTO A G Bb ARGUMENT...

I really wish I saw 93 regiment live. I love that whole show, but the ballad is just soooo efin good.

00 SW or 05 Cadets.

93 Regiment's ballad is probably my 2nd best....but only to their 94 ballad.....nothing has come close to Claire de Lune...and its been 15 years and counting..........

Edited by shostahoosier

I'm a fan of 95 PR. Rhapsody on a Theme of Paganini is classic. Nobody does a ballad like Regiment.