Nominee for Best Ballad

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Goin' Home, Regiment 89. Whoo.

I never started it's own thread like this but I have said on this forum before that 93 Phantom was my #1 favorite ballad and #2 favorite show of all time! That 93 Phantom Corps truly was Ph*q*** by the Judges. IMHO!

Edited by Perry S

Goin' Home, Regiment 89. Whoo.

sans ride cymbal.

but otherwise, agreed. the descending baritone solo at the end makes me moist.

Also, getting to know Mark Hourigan has given me a new-found appreciation for this show in general.

I thought the proper name for "Fire of Eternal Glory" was "Novorossisk Chimes."

Whatever the name, it's No. 1 on my list of drum corps tunes - ballads or otherwise. It's also the start of what surely is the greatest three-year run of ballads ever: Fire, Claire de Lune and Variations on a Theme of Pagannini. I love Fire of Eternal Glory, but listen to the crowd roar as the guard frames the horns in Paganini in 1995; it's as much a gasp of ecstasy as it is applause. And for those of us who were there that night, those final plaintiff strains of Claire de Lune were aimed precisely at a resplendent moon - perfect.

Still without diminishing my affection for Phantom 94 and 95, second place in the best ballad contest has to be Cadets 05. Dreamy and liquid, it was also forceful and majestic. It fit the program perfectly. More important, it was unforgettable, returning to my eyes and ears consistently that season and up to today.

HH

I thought the proper name for "Fire of Eternal Glory" was "Novorossisk Chimes."

Whatever the name, it's No. 1 on my list of drum corps tunes - ballads or otherwise. It's also the start of what surely is the greatest three-year run of ballads ever: Fire, Claire de Lune and Variations on a Theme of Pagannini. I love Fire of Eternal Glory, but listen to the crowd roar as the guard frames the horns in Paganini in 1995; it's as much a gasp of ecstasy as it is applause. And for those of us who were there that night, those final plaintiff strains of Claire de Lune were aimed precisely at a resplendent moon - perfect.

Still without diminishing my affection for Phantom 94 and 95, second place in the best ballad contest has to be Cadets 05. Dreamy and liquid, it was also forceful and majestic. It fit the program perfectly. More important, it was unforgettable, returning to my eyes and ears consistently that season and up to today.

HH

It's also referred to Novorossisk Chimes (although a Russian immigrant friend of mine says the spelling is Novorossiik), but the common use is "Fire of...", even though this is wrong, too. It's "Flames of...".

So I've listened to Crossmen '04 and can't say it moved me a fraction of '93 PR. And even though the '95 PR ballad was an outstanding arrangement, the bari soloist left me cold; he sounded flat through the whole thing and, when I closed my eyes, I pictured his sound being much more flowing legato than the way he played it. The sop solo at the end was fabulous, though. Love those split snares even though they didn't perform as expected. And those ride cymbals...I don't get it, what were they there for again?

'93 PR Ballad is still numero uno on my Maggies. The only ballad of which I played full volume and was willing to blow the tweeter fuses.

There's NOTHING like Maggies for listening to live music, expecially drum corps.

:angel1::innocent:

Edited by garfield