Question for the collective DCA brain trust

As soon as I read (maybe misread) the question, I thought that I'd be nothing if not consistent about the following statement about the best opener from a DCA corps, at least. I must admit, however, that I'm not one of those people who remembers every show even MY Corps has done even though I marched it! I remember moments of shows. Here it is:

BEST OPENER IN MY MEMORY OF DCA: Syracuse Brigadiers, 2001, "Street Scene(s,)" from the movie, Seven Year Itch. I like to describe it as an opening statement, but in all reality it was a separate sheet of music, and it was rehearsed that way until summer when it was immediately followed by the next tune in 2001 (the name of which I can't remember, of course.) It was "Come Back to Me" - that second tune, I just looked it up. It was, "turn around and blast!" Once the drill stopped, we were all up front and at least for the Sopranos, the goal was to finish that whole last chord in one breath. I remember personally seeing Roland G. staggering to stay conscious after that chord in rehearsal a couple of times. It happened to all of us I imagine during that summer. I know it happened to me. Many of you can relate...it comes without warning and you just find yourself in it. Thank you, Wayne!! Yes, it's my corps, but hey!!

BEST DCI OPENER IN MY LIMITED DRUM CORPS MEMORY: Hawthorne Muchachos, 1974, "Pictures of Spain." Yes, I said it! I must admit the DrumCorpsSacrilege that I liked the '74 show better than the '75. The breath control in that corps was nothing short of unbelievable! Their soloist was a freak of nature for someone that young. It had everything. I must admit my great fortune to having had the Muchachos be one of the corps at the first real drum corps show I ever saw. Somewhere in my house I have a cassette recording of that show made early in the season. Did I say that out loud? They sounded remarkably like the Finals recording, but slower. I believe the show was in Auburn, NY. My Corps Director took me to this show. You'd be amazed at all the corps that were there. Madison, Troopers, et al. I get out of breath just listening to what they had to play. At my best, I couldn't do it.

Scott Mescon

Brigadiers 1993-

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some of my favorite in your face openers ...........................

69 Argonne Rebels -"Barnum and Bailey's Favorite March"

69 Boston Crusaders - "Conquest"

73 Argonne Rebels - "Fanfare For The New"

71+72 Cab's - "Captain From Castile"

71-72 Sky - Little Old New York"

75 Madison - "Slaughter"

75 Sky -"How can You Believe Me When I Say I Love You When You Know I've Been A Lier All My Life"

74-75 RI Matadors - Bill Chase's "Invitation To A River" fanfare (with Jim Centorino)

77 RI Matadors - Rodeo

81 Sunrisers - "Come Follow The Band" it starts with a cool solo then a quartet (I think) THEN it smacks

you in the face!

03 SF Renegades - "Prelude and Fuge in D Minor

I could go on ............... left many great ones out

ok since my wish opener is in here:

DCA...wow. Cabs 96 or Sun 83

DCI...hmmm

gotta go with BD 86

There's just so many to choose from, but I'll try to pick one or two not on here.

DCA: 1992 Les Mets

Explosion was great each year they played it, but 1992 was like an announcement that they meant business. 5th place finish fi I recall in their 2nd season (of only 4 sadly)

DCI:

1996 Blue Devils - first 20 seconds or so.

I recall them winning the second of two nights in Allentown. I did my best to get a 50 yard line seat for the encore after the show. Unfortunately, so did the entire stadium. I ended up on the track right in front of a marimba, dead center of the horn arc. I don't know if I've ever felt as much power as I did during that entire encore, but that intro was sick!!

OLD SCHOOL...

Blessed Sac El Cid

St Andrew's Bridgemen 72 (dont know the name of it)...

65 Chicago Royal Airs...Ballyhoo March...they floated across the floor in McCormick Place

66 Troopers How the West Was Won

68 Des Plaines Vanguard...Mars from the Planets

Boston Crusaders 1973?...Coronation of Boris Gudanav

SkipMebden said:

"BEST DCI OPENER IN MY LIMITED DRUM CORPS MEMORY: Hawthorne Muchachos, 1974, "Pictures of Spain." Yes, I said it! I must admit the Drum Corps Sacrilege that I liked the '74 show better than the '75."

I totally agree with you, Skip. I've always liked the '74 show better. Not just the 'Pictures' opener, but the whole show was just better, in my opinion.

SkipMebden said:

"BEST DCI OPENER IN MY LIMITED DRUM CORPS MEMORY: Hawthorne Muchachos, 1974, "Pictures of Spain." Yes, I said it! I must admit the Drum Corps Sacrilege that I liked the '74 show better than the '75."

I totally agree with you, Skip. I've always liked the '74 show better. Not just the 'Pictures' opener, but the whole show was just better, in my opinion.

Me too!

DCI:

1996 Blue Devils - first 20 seconds or so.

I recall them winning the second of two nights in Allentown. I did my best to get a 50 yard line seat for the encore after the show. Unfortunately, so did the entire stadium. I ended up on the track right in front of a marimba, dead center of the horn arc. I don't know if I've ever felt as much power as I did during that entire encore, but that intro was sick!!

That "unfortunate" HOW, exactly?? :tongue: