Cadets 2010 Show

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my vote:

Barber: Sure on This Shining Night, or any of his Essays (2 preferred)

Sure on the Shining Night is beautiful. I don't know if that's translatable though. The Martin Lauridsen setting of that text is even better, IMO.

Eh, Crossmen played the Overture to School forScandal and it was sort of a snoozefest. Maybe a new arrangement will be better?

I thought Crossmen's 1995 show was very interesting. I think most didn't like it as it was a major change from the much more jazz based shows they did before and after - but then, I tend to like it when a corps challenges themselves by trying something different (too many corps look and sound pretty much the same year after year). However, it seemed like the major change in music style hurt them performance wise that year. But placing the entire drumline on marching bases for part of Scandal was very clever and effective, IMHO.

Hanson and Barber. Nice. Contemporaries. Could make a complete show just with their work. Not sure why they're trying to work in NRK...juxtaperformance, maybe?

I thought Crossmen's 1995 show was very interesting. I think most didn't like it as it was a major change from the much more jazz based shows they did before and after

Agreed...2008 and 2009 were bigger departures from the corps' identity than anything that came before. Still trying to wrap my head around how those shows happened.

Agreed...2008 and 2009 were bigger departures from the corps' identity than anything that came before. Still trying to wrap my head around how those shows happened.

Yeah....its crazy how completely changing the staff and moving over a thousand miles will to that to ya... :innocent:

(yes, i am aware the move was 07, but that was an obvious transitional year, with an attempt to pay homage to the corps' past heritage)