Cadets 2010 Show

my vote:

Barber: Sure on This Shining Night, or any of his Essays (2 preferred)

While I do love Sure on this Shining Night, I'm not seeing it working on the field. Maybe my brains just not creative enough to imagine it

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

again being the crowd favorite?? i know they were A favorite this year, but THE crowd favorite??? hmmm

anyway I loved the show personally , and it looks like they will be staying away from vocals and crap from what this says... give us another show we love!

I think you are reading too much into the use of his particular preposition. lol.

I think you are reading too much into the use of his particular preposition. lol.

Still, it probably would have been better (for the sake of people on this site) to say "A" crowd favorite instead of "the" crowd favorite.

Barber-School for Scandal.

This needs to be done. But if they cover it, I just hope it doesn't get transformed beyond all recognition like they did with the theme elements from Medea a few years ago. Coherent melody is not a bad thing.

Edited by mchromik

Nicholai Rimsky-Korsakov

COOL. :innocent:

So, The Cadets design team has announced the source material for their 2010 show (see snippet from YEA! site below). Based on this, what do you think the theme might be and/or what individual pieces would you pick from each composer that would fit into one package/theme? Or simply what piece by each composer would you want The Cadets to play in 2010?

From YEA.org:

Much still has to be worked out, but as of today, the compositions to be used are in focus, as well as the theme of the program.

At this juncture, the design team is not in a position to officially announce plans for the coming summer other than to announce the source of our musical ideas.

As of October 1st, the source material for summer 2010 will be drawn from:

• Samuel Barber

• Jay Bocook

• Howard Hanson

• Nicholai Rimsky-Korsakov

The program is still in design discussions but speed, excitement and a challenge for the members is at the top of the list in importance.

More calls and conferences are forthcoming. Expect further announcements in late October.

Maybe some of Jay Bocook's Hal Leonard marching band arrangements, like Malagueña. :innocent:

Repaying Vanguard's compliment by copying each others' 87 shows? Am I right...is that when SCV did NRK??

1980 Phantom Regiment Russian Easter Overture Rimsky-Korsakov, Nicolai

1980 Santa Clara Vanguard Procession of the Nobles Rimsky-Korsakov, Nicolai

1981 Sunset Regiment Procession of the Nobles Rimsky-Korsakov, Nicolai

1982 Santa Clara Vanguard Capriccio Espagnol Rimsky-Korsakov, Nicolai

1987 Santa Clara Vanguard Dance of the Tumblers Rimsky-Korsakov, Nicolai

1991 Dimension Sheherazade Rimsky-Korsakov, Nicolai

1993 Boston Crusaders Russian Easter Overture Rimsky-Korsakov, Nicolai

1993 Boston Crusaders Sheherazade: The Prince and the Princess Rimsky-Korsakov, Nicolai

1993 Boston Crusaders Sheherazade: Festival in Baghdad Rimsky-Korsakov, Nicolai

1994 Boston Crusaders Russian Easter Overture Rimsky-Korsakov, Nicolai

1997 J's Dance of the Tumblers Rimsky-Korsakov, Nicolai

2004 Santa Clara Vanguard Sheherazade Rimsky-Korsakov, Nicolai

2005 US Naval Academy Sheherazade Rimsky-Korsakov, Nicolai

2006 Esperanza Song of India Rimsky-Korsakov, Nicolai

2007 Glassmen Capriccio Espagnol Rimsky-Korsakov, Nicolai

They haven't announced yet, but here's a list of many of the Rimsky-Korsakov done by drum corps in the past.

The ballad in 06 was far from amateurish...the young lady did an excellent job. The 07 narration helped sell a great show, and the 05 show was all around one of my favorite Cadet shows ever.

These are part and parcel of what the Cadets great...not being content to be pigeonholed into just one thing.

Well, '05 was good. :innocent:

Barber-School for Scandal.

This needs to be done. But if they cover it, I just hope it doesn't get transformed beyond all recognition like they did with the theme elements from Medea a few years ago. Coherent melody is not a bad thing.

Eh, Crossmen played the Overture to School forScandal and it was sort of a snoozefest. Maybe a new arrangement will be better?