Mystikal Staff Resigns

This is oddly similar to the Spartans/Citations debacle.

Open Class is falling apart.

Discuss.

2 corps out of 24 does not equal "falling apart"....and Mystikal has had various issues for years (mostly in member numbers, particularly in brass).

Stating that MYSTIKAL is falling apart might be somewhat accurate, but you can't extend that to the rest of the division.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any failed corps in an area makes starting a new one even harder. If as the one post notes that this scenerio played out before in the same area, potential new members will have a "wait and see"attitude. None of these corps will exist. Only skeletons of what could have been 1 very good corps with patience, communication and perserverance. I went through it and the players are devistated as look for "home."

2 corps out of 24 does not equal "falling apart"....and Mystikal has had various issues for years (mostly in member numbers, particularly in brass).

Stating that MYSTIKAL is falling apart might be somewhat accurate, but you can't extend that to the rest of the division.

No, but losing 1-2 corps per year, if it goes on long enough, will pretty much seal the deal.

This is oddly similar to the Spartans/Citations debacle.

Open Class is falling apart.

Discuss.

Unfortunately, I see the demise of many of these corps being the size of the egos of these instructional staff members. Too many think they are God's gift to drum corps, when they are actually barely competent to teach music or marching. Until the OC Directors get these egos in check, the number of corps folding due to instructors "taking their ball home" will continue to accelerate. It is a crime that this happens when there are so few corps left. And the kids are the ones who get hurt the most.

I do acknowledge that there are circumstances out there where egos and educational staff members are not focused on the task at hand, causing negative issues within the organization. However we must also recognize the fact that there are those who run these organizations that are not entirely honest when hiring a staff, therefore causing those staff members to not be able to effectively do their jobs and provide a safe and educational environment for students. There are examples for both instances in both Open and World Class.

If an E.D. hires a staff to "rebuild" an organization, knowing full well that it is not possible with the amount of past issues that exist, it is not fair to both the educators and the members and ultimately causes bigger issues. In this activity everything you do has a consequence and if are not honest in your approach, the consequences are not likely to be positive. In order for a staff to "put in the work" there has to be a solid basis from which to work from. No matter what year and who is on staff. There is a prime example out there of an organization that has had the same issues year after year and staff after staff and those staff members shouldn't just quit teaching Drum Corps because the group they worked for was run improperly and the issues existed before their arrival.

I also feel this is the minority and Open Class has a majority of well run organizations with in it. This is in no way an indication of Open Class "falling apart" as the issues here existed long before this past season. The division is still very strong and always will be. Unfortunately it just also carries with it an outlet for those who chose to do things the wrong way.

Great discussion!

I do find it undermining when the staff that resigned, makes the announcement in the name of their former corps, and then goes on to mention that they are starting up something else....................whereas, it is for the corps to make announcements, since the staff is no longer part of it................

Past performance is the best indicator of future behavior.

the one thing I find troubling is that some of these guys had the same "issues" when they were with Revolution and had a similar outcome...is it the chicken or the egg?