Should DCI and DCA Join Forces

Should DCA and DCI Merge  

204 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think that DCI and DCA should join forces?

• Yes
    • No

More likely that DCI and BOA would merge. :lookaround:

This is the most likely scenario. Then MBI would be born. It's MBI now they are just in denial.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope - marched in three separate Senior circuits back in the day

Reason for separation was because of the different needs of the member corps. Even bigger difference between needs of DCA and DCI.

Working together as DCA and DCI are starting to do is working out.

This is the key. Both groups are associations who serve similar - but uniquely different - member organizations.

Could a "merger" work? Yes. But -

Why? What would be the reason or the advantage to either group to do this?

More likely that DCI and BOA would merge. :lookaround:

This type of logic is what is going to destroy drum corps. This is not even close to true. It is the same logic as the person who said that it would mean that DCA would have to use electronics.

If you get your head out of the sand you would see that DCA will eventually use electronics. It is inevitable. We may not like it, but it WILL happen. If DCA is the "pure" form of drum corps, why do they have the front ensemble like DCI. Purists would say that originally that these instruments should be carried as this was the traditional method. Somehow DCA also uses the front ensemble. It also seems to me that if they were purists, why are they using multi-valved instruments. If they were really "pure" they would be using valve-less bugles as this was the original drum corps style. DCA is evolving in the same manner as DCI, it just is a few years behind. DCA will have electronics before too long. The reason being is that the older crowd will eventually not be in power and the younger crowd that will take over will be used to using them and they WILL be used. It will become "normal". I was not a proponent of electronics, but there was no stopping it.

DCA is not the "pure" drum corps circuit. There is no such thing as "pure" drum corps. That is just like saying that you are a "pure" American. There are no "pure" Americans. Even the Indians have been shown to be from somewhere else other than America orginally. DCA cannot boast that they are keeping alive the traditions of drum corp as this is not even close to true (see above).

To all of you who think that DCI will allow woodwinds; you are mistaken. This will not happen.

DCI may make closer ties with BOA out of necessity. But what it really should pursue is a merger with DCA to help preserve drum corps. With less and less corps we need the cooperation.

Who is to say how a true "Drum Corps International" which includes all of the drum corps circuits would adopt anything just because it came from the junior circuit (DCI). I think that the result would not be as some people think. I think a merger would strengthen both groups.

If DCA is the "pure" form of drum corps, why do they have the front ensemble like DCI.

Because it's pretty f'n hard to jazz run a 4 to 5 when you're marching a tympani. :lookaround:

Because it's pretty f'n hard to jazz run a 4 to 5 when you're marching a tympani. :lookaround:

You are really missing the point. Drum corps has and will continue to evolve. DCA is just a little behind in the evolution, but they always catch up eventually.

More likely that DCI and BOA would merge. :thumbup:

And finally Hop's dream would become a reality :lookaround:

Because it's pretty f'n hard to jazz run a 4 to 5 when you're marching a tympani. :thumbup:

LOL, drum drills were getting away from the old elevator drills and tymps and marching bells had a problem keeping up. That worked out....

Plus having one person playing four tymps frees up three people to march in the drum line. That kinda worked out until you ended up with a cast of many in the pit. :smile: Never saw a corps with more than 4 marching bells. (Hell I'm old enought to be in a corps without bells. :lookaround: )

On Topic - both DCI and DCA are changing but they need to change at their own rate. Especially since what the fans want/expect are different between the circuits.

As for never seeing WWs in DCI or amps in DCA. Lot of stuff in both circuits now that I never thought would be allowed. Never say never.....

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

To all of you who think that DCI will allow woodwinds; you are mistaken. This will not happen.

Glad to see that the person responsible for making the decision about woodwinds in drum corps has finally been identified! Good choice by the way, the nightmares about Blue Devils playing clarinets are sure never to return.

Drum corps as a whole is under intense pressure. If the two organizations merged this could allow them to streamline their organizations and concentrate on growing the whole activity. I do not understand why some people would think helping one or the other would be the way to go. To keep drum corps alive, they should work together. There is no reason why there could not be a single organization that combined the good points from both organizations and worked to improve drum corps as a whole. This really is not a case of B flat bugle or electronics: this is about survival.

There is a reason why both organizations cannot combine to improve the activity as a whole. The reason is stated in DCI's own mission statement. They (DCI) exist to serve the needs of its "member corps." Thus DCI and DCA seem to be antithetical in their very purpose for existing.

DCI has taken much criticism over the years because it fails to truly serve the most basic needs of all competing corps. Some would argue that because of DCI's influence in the activity, there exists a moral obligation to ensure a place for all corps to survive, if not thrive. The reality however is that most decisions made by DCI over the past 15 years or so have been for the benefit of its member corps... not all corps. They should not be criticized for that, as they've made no secret about who they "serve." The end result for DCI is what we have today, in terms of the number of competing junior corps and the internal "strength" of the "international" circuit.

Participation in DCI today (particularly at the World Class level) is for the "kids" that can afford it both financially and in terms of time commitment. We often refer to World Class as the "elite" of the activity, but I would argue that this "corps classism" mindset has spilled over to simply creating and perpetuating an "elitist" circuit that exists for those that can afford to participate. Who can argue that there doesn't exist a "haves" and "have-nots" dynamic within DCI. They're drowning in parity and equity issues throughout. Many have been predicting for years that it can't last, and there's nothing that I see in the near or distant future that could lead a reasonable person to conclude otherwise.

On the other hand (though certainly not perfect), DCA functions with a completely different mindset. They are generally and genuinely concerned with preserving the activity as a whole, and thus, they ensure that there is an environment that exists where all corps can sustain themselves as competitive units (i.e., Class-A; Alumni-Corps Competitions; Open Class; Mini-Corps Competitions; etc...). In fact, the very concept of an "all-age corps" vs. "senior corps" shows how they have responded to changes within this nitch activity. They're growing for a reason... they want to, and they work at it. They're inclusive in their approach, rather than the exclusive natured DCI model. Whereas DCI has gotten quite "fuzzy" on defining who or what it is, DCA is still offering something for almost any organization (or individual) that wants to engage in the competitive art form that is recognizably and unquestionably drum & bugle corps... IMO :lookaround:

The whole idea is that the two organizations could work out these issues for the betterment of all drum corps. Working separately does not really accomplish anything. Both organizations could bring their strengths to the table and both organizations could work together help to address their individual weaknesses.

I think there are too many egos and agendas on the DCI side of the equation. From a DCA perspective, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." DCA's current organization serves it's members and fans well. The poster who mentioned DCI and BOA merging hit the nail on the head. That direction is where DCI's focus has been for several years now. Look in the stands at Quarters every year, no matter the venue, DCI is importing band kids by the busloads. For most of them, it is nothing more than a social gathering, they talk and make noise during the performances and for the vast majority of them, could probably care less about being there. It was REALLY bad in Orlando, but I noticed it this year in the Can as well. At DCA contests, there have been and I'm sure will continue to be exhibitions by DCI corps (usually Open Class, but that's to be expected with the current touring model). In the midwest and west, the ONLY way DCA corps can compete at all is to be included in DCI shows (with rare exceptions). Just ask Minnesota Brass Inc.! I patronize both circuits and will continue to do so, but besides the fact that the roots are the same, the product on the field is and has been quite different for a long time. I don't think it really has to with "old school" vs. "new"; DCA has an Alumni show every year during their championship weekend, and those who really want "old school" enjoy that. By the way, the "old school" Bridgemen, Cabs Alumni and a few others elicit a crowd response and talent level that many DCI AND DCA corps wish they could!