The history of the Westshoremen

Hi All!

I need a little help here...... Just got a valve/rotor olds ultratone contra and managed a decent scale. The problem is, I don't remember where the music notation starts relative to the sound produced. I seem to recall we used treble clef...... All I need to know for now is this....If I'm playing the "bottom" of the scale with only the valve depressed, (C-right?) Is that "middle C" one line below the treble clef staff or one octave lower? My plan is to write out some music from memory and build a few repetitions in to get used to seeing what I'm hearing, if that makes sense. I appreciate any advice you could offer. Also, is there anywhere I could purchase sheet music, in G, for a contra?

Edited by '81CONTRA

Hi All!

I need a little help here...... Just got a valve/rotor olds ultratone contra and managed a decent scale. The problem is, I don't remember where the music notation starts relative to the sound produced. I seem to recall we used treble clef...... All I need to know for now is this....If I'm playing the "bottom" of the scale with only the valve depressed, (C-right?) Is that "middle C" one line below the treble clef staff or one octave lower? My plan is to write out some music from memory and build a few repetitions in to get used to seeing what I'm hearing, if that makes sense. I appreciate any advice you could offer. Also, is there anywhere I could purchase sheet music, in G, for a contra?

I will see if Bob, Nelson or Brad can get you some stuff...Wish I would have read this before rehearsal yesterday...Bob marched in the 70s so he would know...

I will see if Bob, Nelson or Brad can get you some stuff...Wish I would have read this before rehearsal yesterday...Bob marched in the 70s so he would know...

Thanks, Ruth! I appreciate it. I'm not looking for anything current or even serious. "Hey, look me over, lend me an ear...." or SOMETHING that I can use to equate what I'm seeing with what I'm playing. Although, I'd do practically anything short of an unnatural act for the Contra parts for the 1980 WS season! :thumbup: I'm primarily a play by ear guy. From what I learned elsewhere on the forum, middle C seems to be an octave higher than the C that begins the scale. Thanks for the help!

Frank

Jeff Winans sent me some pics of the first Westshoremen Alumni rehearsal from Sunday....... looks like the corps is off to a good start!

I hope to be there for the February rehearsal.

Fran

I need a little help here......I don't remember where the music notation starts relative to the sound produced. I seem to recall we used treble clef......

Play "Taps" on the open horn. The third note you play will be middle C on the contra, second space from the top in treble clef.

You can use a trumpet fingering chart. The piston is the 1st valve. The rotary is the 2nd valve. Ignore the notes that use the 3rd valve, you don't have them. [Except the G#/Ab above the TC staff. Played with the piston, it will be kinda flat. Played piston AND rotary AND slide out, it will be a tad sharp.]

Surf around the Alumni corps websites, you will find some downloadable contra parts.

Jeff Winans sent me some pics of the first Westshoremen Alumni rehearsal from Sunday....... looks like the corps is off to a good start!

I hope to be there for the February rehearsal.

Fran

Fran...haven't been hanging out here a lot, how's Barb?

Fran...haven't been hanging out here a lot, how's Barb?

She's hanging in there..... continuing her improvement, slow but fairly steady. Some very frustrating moments/days, but overall.... better.

We still have a ways to go yet before she's back on her feet....but we both plan to be at the Yankee Rebels' indoor show here in Baltimore April 5, and then at the Forum April 12.

Fran

Edited by Fran Haring

Thanks, HornsUp! That's what I needed!

Hey gang

Help needed. Mark Hoover is working on a video history of the corps. We have 80-83 ( tho if you have 81, we could use it....the ending is cut off on the copy he has), 87, and 89-97. Plus, I just ordered 1970 from the Haas family, and found the 77 clip on the Allentown PBS special.

If you have any of the above years not listed, 81 with the ending...or....even better....finals from 80, as we only have prelims.....can you drop me a line? Also, check with friends. This is a potential money maker for the corps.

Thanks!!!

Hey Jim,

how's the cookout coming along for Ponzo's group? :thumbup: What time do you want the Westshore alumni to come over to help you set up (that means ice down the beer)?

Ok, I am done picking on you honest.

Ben !!!!! Yooo hooooooooooooooooo you going to come to Serenade? I bringing my maracas...you bring your bongos

Humm !!! Will I see you at next rehearsal? I have these dang smashed up pennies for you that I have collected all along New York, New Jersey, and up to Cape Cod ...any show I went to, I made sure to look for a friggin smasher for you.....where in the h*ll have you been?

Edited by boomboom