The history of the Westshoremen

I was at that "Yes" concert! One off the best ones I've ever attended! (have a bootleg of it as well :thumbup: ) That was an awesome tour, and I've been collecting shows from it whenever I see them on the trade sites. AFAIC, that was the classic line up (ok, so Chris Squire wasn't there, but Tony Levin is an AMAZING bassist, and ten times the musician he is!) and get a bit mad that they don't still play any of the tunes off that record anymore since it wasn't "technically" Yes. (and what's touring as Yes now is a joke!)

What's interesting is that I've seen Yes five times, and every time there were different people involved! :blink: I also got to see Wakeman twice at the Whitaker Center, as well as Jon Anderson. Both great shows as well!

LOL was also at the "YES" concert at Hershey Arena (one of the all time crap fest for acoustics). Opening act was a B/W Popey cartoon with the Sea Hag. (Had to have been drug induced.) Show started by turning the lights TOTALLY OFF NOW!!! Surprised no one fell down those freakin' steep ###ed steps.

Gad the Arena... saw more shows there than anywhere else, YES, ZZ Top (watched from the walkway as standing room got cut back due to AC/DC crushings somewhere, ended up being more dangerous), Neil Young, Little Feat, Skynyrd Tribute tour, earlier ones think I'm forgetting.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

LOL was also at the "YES" concert at Hershey Arena (one of the all time crap fest for acoustics). Opening act was a B/W Popey cartoon with the Sea Hag. (Had to have been drug induced.) Show started by turning the lights TOTALLY OFF NOW!!! Surprised no one fell down those freakin' steep ###ed steps.

Gad the Arena... saw more shows there than anywhere else, YES, ZZ Top (watched from the walkway as standing room got cut back due to AC/DC crushings somewhere, ended up being more dangerous), Neil Young, Little Feat, Skynyrd Tribute tour, earlier ones think I'm forgetting.

Yeah, saw a bunch there also....I was at that concert, hard to believe a freaking Popeye cartoon was the opening act!!?!?

Gad...I've seen a lot of shows there as well!

Yeah, saw a bunch there also....I was at that concert, hard to believe a freaking Popeye cartoon was the opening act!!?!?

Trying to remember if they had an old style projector like school in the 60s/70s or more high tech. Weird... cartoon was over and.... nothing until the band started. People were like "WTF is that it?".

Then again beat Neil Youngs opening act of Sonic Youth and Social Distortion (forget which was which). One was a grunge type band and not bad. They covered Johnny Cashs "Ring Of Fire" and it took me halfway thru the song to recognize it as they really changed it for their style. Lot of people in the bathroom after them as folks stayed to watch.

Other was a glitter type band who started out by yelling "This is for all you ######s who waited in line 6 hours for tickets". Sis' response was "Took me 20 minutes on the phone". 2nd biggest hand was for the line "This is our last song". Biggest line was after the last song and the lead singer said "We'll never come here again". Bathroom almost empty except for me and the guy saying "Everyne must have skipped during the band...".

Almost forgot opener for Stone at RFK was "Counting Crows" as "Mr Jones" was doing well. Everytime we'd see them one of of would say "Oh it's the guy with #### on his head" as the lead singers dreadlocks look liek it. And his junping while singing didn't help. :tongue:

I was at that "Yes" concert! One off the best ones I've ever attended! (have a bootleg of it as well :thumbup: ) That was an awesome tour, and I've been collecting shows from it whenever I see them on the trade sites. AFAIC, that was the classic line up (ok, so Chris Squire wasn't there, but Tony Levin is an AMAZING bassist, and ten times the musician he is!) and get a bit mad that they don't still play any of the tunes off that record anymore since it wasn't "technically" Yes. (and what's touring as Yes now is a joke!)

What's interesting is that I've seen Yes five times, and every time there were different people involved! :blink: I also got to see Wakeman twice at the Whitaker Center, as well as Jon Anderson. Both great shows as well!

I only saw YES in 84 and 88, and it was different lineups.

Sadly my only experience with Journey was without Steve Perry. Saw Def Leppard before Rik lost his arm and after, and of course before the guitarist ( cant think of name) died and after.

But anymore, if a classic band is out there missing names, unless due to death, I just skip it. To me it's a let down. A friend wanted to go see Motley Crue when the chick was drumming and I was like "no ####### way...no Tommy, no me"

I was HUGE into hairbands. Name em, i saw em.

Trying to remember if they had an old style projector like school in the 60s/70s or more high tech. Weird... cartoon was over and.... nothing until the band started. People were like "WTF is that it?".

Then again beat Neil Youngs opening act of Sonic Youth and Social Distortion (forget which was which). One was a grunge type band and not bad. They covered Johnny Cashs "Ring Of Fire" and it took me halfway thru the song to recognize it as they really changed it for their style. Lot of people in the bathroom after them as folks stayed to watch.

Other was a glitter type band who started out by yelling "This is for all you ######s who waited in line 6 hours for tickets". Sis' response was "Took me 20 minutes on the phone". 2nd biggest hand was for the line "This is our last song". Biggest line was after the last song and the lead singer said "We'll never come here again". Bathroom almost empty except for me and the guy saying "Everyne must have skipped during the band...".

Almost forgot opener for Stone at RFK was "Counting Crows" as "Mr Jones" was doing well. Everytime we'd see them one of of would say "Oh it's the guy with #### on his head" as the lead singers dreadlocks look liek it. And his junping while singing didn't help. :tongue:

I so remember the Quiet Riot/Loverboy show on the Island. QR had just broken it big, and they were the opener. They were done and half the Island emptied out. As soon as Loverboy played "workin for the weekend" another large segment of the crowd bailed

I so remember the Quiet Riot/Loverboy show on the Island. QR had just broken it big, and they were the opener. They were done and half the Island emptied out. As soon as Loverboy played "workin for the weekend" another large segment of the crowd bailed

You must have missed them but for the Quiet Riot Loverboy concert, ZEBRA was the opening act!!! THAT to me was the highlight of that show! I had a cousin that lived on Long Island and was a huge fan...I'd heard them before Who's Behind the Door broke on radio and MTV, way back since they allowed taping in the clubs and she used to send them to me. QR was ok...Loverboy sucked, but in those days I wasn't walking out of a concert that I paid THAT MUCH MONEY for! (probably $15-20.!)

As far as bands that don't have a member or two...as far as I'm concerned as long as it's not the lead singer in most cases I can tolerate it. Yes has changed so many times that it isn't funny, but when I saw them without Jon Anderson, it sucked! (yeah, it was great to see Steve Howe, but..it sucked! :thumbdown: )

Styx with the different drummer worked

Def Leppard? Saw them when the drummer had both arms, and most of the band was still alive, won't go see them now.

Dave Matthews is different since the sax player died, and they added Tim Reynolds on guitar, but it's still a good show. (Rush without ANY of the three is not Rush)

I've only seen Chicago without Terry Kath, and will admit it WAS a better band with Pete Cetera and Danny Seraphine, but it's still a good show.

I guess it depends...

Question, Jeff- is there any good footage of the Def Leppard drummer out there? Never seen him play, I hear he still kicks ###.

My guess is he's got a very well thought out kit which gives him access to things easier for his remaining arm, and he has extra foot pedals to compensate.

If I ever teach a kid who needs adaptave equipemt, things like that are always good to see what is and can be done for starters.

Speaking of kids who need things adapted for them-- I worked with a young man that happened to have Down's at Ephrata. Played the Gun Drum on sideline.

Being the techie/clean up freak I am, I watched him once early on in a run through and in percussion sectional. Has the music with him, etc. Real legit parts, not fluff, the young man NEVER put a note out of place. And you know-- a person with the Gun Drum/Concert bass could really blow up stuff if they were. I never worried after that. As for the Marimbas, who liked making stuff up that didn't look like anything on the score...... THERE, I worried. :satisfied: Great kid, great member of the band. One of those people you value having known and worked with because they made ME better for knowing them.

I've seen footage off Def Lepperds drummer, and truthfully he handled his custom kit pretty well...THAT is a great application for an electronic kit...his right arm played "time" and his left foot switched between pedals, (IIRC from an old Modern Drummer article) I think one was for snare, one was a repeat of the drum he just hit, and the other a second bass drum, (I may be missing a left pedal, maybe hi-hat or something...I'll have to see if it's on my "archive" dvd) then the right pedal was regular bass drum.

I ended up not being a fan of theirs because they went into "power pop" as opposed to hard rock like their first two albums. (wasn't really a Pyromania fan, but that just happened to be the tour I saw)

We had a kid at Carlisle that was a little challenged, we got him on the sideline and he played bass, gong, and cymbals for the most part...he played everything I threw at him and wasn't afraid to ask questions!

Edited by Jaminbenb

You must have missed them but for the Quiet Riot Loverboy concert, ZEBRA was the opening act!!! THAT to me was the highlight of that show! I had a cousin that lived on Long Island and was a huge fan...I'd heard them before Who's Behind the Door broke on radio and MTV, way back since they allowed taping in the clubs and she used to send them to me. QR was ok...Loverboy sucked, but in those days I wasn't walking out of a concert that I paid THAT MUCH MONEY for! (probably $15-20.!)

LOL ZZ Top at the Island (Eliminator) right after Gimme All Your Lovin came out and they were starting to push Sharp Dressed Man and Kixx (from Baltimore?) as opener. Female friend and I sat on the bleachers waaay from the crowd in front of the stage. Must have sat with their fans or groupies cuz in between badns they were all talking about what bar to hit. Then ZZ started and we realized that group around us wasn't coming back..... :blink:

Edit: ZZ at the Island was a scream, they wore white coveralls and main effect during the show was different colored spotlights made 'em look like they changed cloths and lotsa duckwalking and moving together. At HersheyArena (Recycler) whole stage look like a junkyard, babes dancing out once or twice and special effects out the yingee. Needed it cuz Recycler sucked compared to the previous two albums. Big crowd response was the Eliminator and before songs.

LOL - got a ZZ poster at Glen Millers for my sister and when I picked her up for the Hershey concert my folks asked what the band was like. I showed them the poster and ---> :rock:

Yeah - big southern rock, guitar fan..... last CD I bought (gift certificate) was Blackfoot....

Edited by JimF-LowBari